PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sick of this LUCK thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR4

In the Starting Line-up
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
So many reports saying PATs were lucky to win.

Why because of that 4th and 1 thing?

Does anyone have any idea how many things happen in any
NFL football game that could be called lucky?

A DB slips and a WR makes the catch and runs in for a TD.
A LB runs into his own guy causing a missed tackle allowing RB to go 50 yds.
A Tackle slips allowing a QB to get sacked a game changing fumble.
A Ref misses a critical interference call in the end zone.
.... and there are probably a hundred other luck situations.

Every team will get its share of "the way the ball bounces" but there
is a lot more to the game then those minority situations.
To say luck played no part is NOT correct ... but Luck plays a part in
every game ... and every team get's it's share
.....so why make it headline news?

PATs won that game because they are a very good football team that can
still win when the opponent holds their guys on just about every play
on both offense and defense.
Because they got what it takes to make plays in critical situations under
extreme pressure. That's why they won ... not becaue of Luck.

Last edited:
i have to respectfully disagree..pats were lucky as much as every team is when it wins. but good teams make use of opportunities given to them and pull out the wins so thats what the pats are. They are better coached and composed in tight situations and they made use of their chances down the stretch but personally i also think there was luck involved. And you need some luck to win 12 games ..its just so hard to win a game which has been clouded by those blowouts. just my 2 cents.

Pretty lucky, but it's not necessarily a slight. Except for maybe the '85 Bears, what team doesn't need a little luck from time to time.

How often have you seen a pass, tipped 20 feet into the air, into the middle of the field, 15 yards beyond the line of scrimmage, NOT get picked, let alone fall to the ground, UNTOUCHED?? Pretty lucky if you ask me.

i have to respectfully disagree..pats were lucky as much as every team is when it wins. but good teams make use of opportunities given to them and pull out the wins so thats what the pats are. They are better coached and composed in tight situations and they made use of their chances down the stretch but personally i also think there was luck involved. And you need some luck to win 12 games ..its just so hard to win a game which has been clouded by those blowouts. just my 2 cents.

How are you disagreeing?

I did not say there was no luck involved.
It is always involved but it is not what wins games.
The abilty to plan and have the players execute is the determining factor
NOT luck.

Pretty lucky, but it's not necessarily a slight. Except for maybe the '85 Bears, what team doesn't need a little luck from time to time.

How often have you seen a pass, tipped 20 feet into the air, into the middle of the field, 15 yards beyond the line of scrimmage, NOT get picked, let alone fall to the ground, UNTOUCHED?? Pretty lucky if you ask me.

I bet even the "85 bears" had lucky plays. Point is luck is not the determining
factor in a game of skill. It may play "a part" but not the determining factor.
If you have a bad team you would need a statiscally unreal amount of luck
to win against a good team.

Did the Colts have any luck on their side when they "fought back with determination" and had their "brave" quarterback NEARLY lead them to victory after throwing five picks?

No, they were determined, focused, and did (almost) everything to win the game.

And no, I'm not obsessed with the Colts, but I see how the media covers every team.

I bet even the "85 bears" had lucky plays. Point is luck is not the determining
factor in a game of skill. It may play "a part" but not the determining factor.
If you have a bad team you would need a statiscally unreal amount of luck
to win against a good team.
I think in the NFL, generally, the cream rises to the top. But there are cases where LUCK determines the outcome. Look at the immaculate reception, how friggin' lucky was that. Take March Madness, play it 10 times in a row, and you get 10 different champions (IMO). So, Monday Night provided PATS with multiple opportunities to get it right, and they did, congrats. But make no mistake, the FB gods were smiling on them that night.

As far as the Colts at SD, they got about as "unlucky" as you can get. Some amazing defensive plays (very much skill related). Those picks by Cro were very athletic and skillful. "Luck" would have been if he had dropped 1 or 2 of them. It was pretty "unlucky" for AV to miss a 99 times out of 100 chip shot to win the game. Pretty "unlucky" for some dumbass to blow the whistle cause he thinks he's back in college. On the flip side (as with Cro'), Sessions' INT's were athletic, but easily could have been dropped as well.

I think that is the point though, things were just not going the Colts way, yet through the elements and through the horrid picks, Manning and Company still had the game within reach in the end.

Most of the country wants the Patriots to lose -- the ESPN poll yesterday, which showed a red state / blue state map where blue was "I hope the Pats lose" was almost entirely blue, excepting New England, Michigan, and, oddly, Alabama.

The media is just pandering as they are wont to do.

Of course, you can argue it is a chicken/egg problem and the media are actually creating the hate.

Luck goes both ways but, in the case of the Pats, it doesn't seem to always be analyzed as such.

Case in point. In this last game the Ravens were very lucky that the refs turned a blind eye towards holding calls and that the Pats left a ton of plays on the field (especially receivers dropping balls they normally catch) for had this not been the case then this game would have been a blowout like the others.

Pretty "unlucky" for some dumbass to blow the whistle cause he thinks he's back in college.

To be fair, though, are you sure the Colts would have brought the ball past the 20 if the whistle hadn't blown? [A lot of players stopped playing because of the whistle.]

As the old saying goes, Luck is the residue of design.

I think in the NFL, generally, the cream rises to the top. But there are cases where LUCK determines the outcome. Look at the immaculate reception, how friggin' lucky was that. Take March Madness, play it 10 times in a row, and you get 10 different champions (IMO). So, Monday Night provided PATS with multiple opportunities to get it right, and they did, congrats. But make no mistake, the FB gods were smiling on them that night.

As far as the Colts at SD, they got about as "unlucky" as you can get. Some amazing defensive plays (very much skill related). Those picks by Cro were very athletic and skillful. "Luck" would have been if he had dropped 1 or 2 of them. It was pretty "unlucky" for AV to miss a 99 times out of 100 chip shot to win the game. Pretty "unlucky" for some dumbass to blow the whistle cause he thinks he's back in college. On the flip side (as with Cro'), Sessions' INT's were athletic, but easily could have been dropped as well.

I think that is the point though, things were just not going the Colts way, yet through the elements and through the horrid picks, Manning and Company still had the game within reach in the end.

I can't take a damn thing you say seriously. Of course to you Session's first INT is all skill (and it was an athletic play) but he was lucky that the ball landed on another player. The Colts were lucky they weren't penalized for a blatant pass interference call late in the game against Gates. They were lucky to recover the fumble by Rivers (which was not caused by any measure of skill, simply the ball slipping out of his hands).

That's right, though, the Patriots get lucky when they come back, but the Colts overcome poor luck and adversity to claw to within two points of defeat.

GFY. You are as much a homer as anyone you denounce on this board.

When you think about it, the first “lucky” play was when Rex Ryan called the time out. The difference between Billick and Belichick coached teams are in who has worked on the game situations the most. I think Patriots coaches know better due to situational football. Belichick is the only one allowed to call a time out and everyone on the Patriots probably knows that. So if the Ravens were not so undisciplined, the game over. We took advantage of that. We were lucky on the false start, but the rest was all legit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down