PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SI Today on "disconnect" between Pats and Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some here really seem to resent this organization in the Belichick era. They are only too quick to jump aboard the disconnect train and quick to scoff at those who debunk it for what it is...idle speculation by disconnected mediots looking for web hits.

The two most important players on the Indianapolis Colts are both currently playing under contracts signed while they were...exclusive franchise tagged. The Colts cater to a small segment of their roster contract wise, although they are not adverse to even dumping them when it suits their purposes. Just ask Edge or Marvin or soon their $8M safety who can't stay on the field since signing his mega deal. They currently have two key players UNDER CONTRACT who are not showing up for OTA's because they are pissed and want better contracts... Jim Irsay, who is prone to sticking his foot in his mouth and gives Polian carte blanche to run the team for that reason, said recently that he is concerned that they will be able to do a deal that is both fair to Manning and his young, emerging WR's. Go figure.

But we're the cheap ones. Everyone knows that.

Last edited:
Re: SI Today on "disconnect" between Pats and Brady.

Where have I attacked or defended the article itself?

So the quoted portion to which I referred was a general bash on those who bash the media or represents some display akin to Tourette's syndrome in a thread about this article? Cool. Your quote. You know best what you meant by it.

It's "verified" that Silver has had at least one close source to Brady in the past. He's claiming that his information was from a close source. You're still bashing.

Define a "close" source. If you take that as a factual basis, you must read every article in the news as gospel for the truth. I explained my issue with the article. I am bashing the use of some generic statement from an unidentified source that invites speculation on who that source really is and then other authors speculating on what appears to be original speculation. I am not bashing the opinion itself. I thought the National Enquirer reference would clue you in to that fact. As the beacon of light in objectivity that you suggest you are by your outrage, try not to slant my response to suit your argument.

Unnamed sources are used all the time, by sleaze magazines and by the most respected media outlets in the business.

I am aware of the concept of confidential sources, but thanks for the journalism lesson. The degree of confidence of a reader in a source is usually proportional to the level of detail provided in the story. What did this "source" actually say? "ome people close to Brady feel the organization isn’t displaying much urgency toward ensuring the latter." What does that mean? Is that Brady's opinion about the negotiations or lack thereof? No. The "disconnect" reference is based on the "cool distance" Brady has kept from the team, apparently under the ruse he wanted to spend time with his family rather than at the training facility 24/7. He is "uncomfortable" talking about contract issues because he implicitly is dissatisfied. Frankly, I read Silver and generally like his material, but the factual basis for this article is wanting, and has now spun into national media speculation citing it as a source.

Then, if you 'admit' to this, why the hell would you go about attacking those who say the same damned thing, just because they're in the media and not putting the same rosy gloss on it that you have?

Your reading comprehension level must be slipping. My disdain is for the way this particular story has developed. If you read Silver's article and it rings true to you, that's awesome. It is Silver's theory. I can cook up equally plausible but contrary theories, but if that one works for you then roll with it.

I don't bash on articles or authors just because the opinion differs from mine, nor do I believe that every criticism of the Patriots organization and players is unjustified. Tucker's article has literally taken Silver's article to the next level - the Patriots are now "messing" with Brady. That's quite a distance from what the original source apparently stated.

Give the mediots a break. Its off-season, and it is actual work to generate a story. So lets start a controversy, instead.

Everyone's got to get a paycheck, and getting off your fundament is just plain dificult.

This thread is still going, huh? How many out there SERIOUSLY think that a contract won't get done with Brady before the one he's currently in runs out?

That is amazing. Talk about extracting parts of a quote to alter its tone.

True, Irsay did make a much more definitive statement than Kraft did. However, the whole topic of discussion started when Michael Silver of Yahoo took bits and pieces of a Kraft comment rather than the entire quote. I don't think it's quite as simple as portraying Pats fans are being koolaid drinking homers for doubting the speculation.

Silver's Yahoo column:
Contrast that with the comments Kraft made to reporters in March at the NFL owner meetings in Orlando about a potential Brady extension: "Great things happen in life if you're flexible and not rigid. ... We're balancing a lot of different factors in an unknown environment. We're not sleeping. It's just complicated."

Original Globe column:
"Let's put it like this, Tom Brady is going to be a part of this franchise. He wants to be. We want him. Great things in life happen if you're flexible and not rigid. We have to find a way to satisfy him and the team, and have a team that can win, big-time. That's what it's about. So we're balancing a lot of different factors in an unknown environment. So we're not sleeping. It's just complicated, and it's complicated for everybody. We hope we do a satisfactory job. But we'll figure it out one way or the other."

In addition Silver chose to ignore this comment from Kraft:
“We’re very lucky to have him as our quarterback and we want him to be our quarterback for a long time into the future,’’ Kraft said. “Everything he represents is pretty special. He’s a winner. We’re privileged to have him a part of the New England Patriots organization.’’

Wow. How can the football season be so dead that they literally have to create story lines from thin air? This must be the dullest offseason I can remember for sometime. .

Hey don't complain. I could always restart the draft-day-girlfriend thread....

But seriously you have to wonder how much longer Brady will want to play football. Why get hammered by 300 pound steroid-pumped monsters in the freezing rain for baseball town when he could be reclining on a cushy couch in a villa in the south of France while his Brazilian wife peels grapes for him. I know that would be a tough choice for me. I heard that he was at some Paris fashion show watching emaciated waifs while the NFL draft was going on; does sound like someone who is still interested?

Then again he would have to walk her freaking Fi-Fi dogs...maybe football is preferable.

Last edited:
I normally stick up for writers/reporters, but this was one of the worst pieces I've read. First things first, Brady didn't give the Patriots a home town discount in 2005. Thats a myth. Sure, I'm sure he could have held out and got a crazy amount of money, but so could Peyton Manning, Big Ben etc.

Linking the whole thing to BB having too much on his plate? That's a reach.

If Revis takes a Million less than Nmadi, then is that a home town discount for the Jets? He could get more, but he is taking fair market value. Thats not a home town discount

Last edited:
Give the mediots a break. Its off-season, and it is actual work to generate a story. So lets start a controversy, instead.

Everyone's got to get a paycheck, and getting off your fundament is just plain dificult.

Amen Brotha! The football beat writers are too much in their cups to actually work for a story (i.e. reviewing film etc.). They would rather cover (or dream up) controversy. The most obnoxious reporting has to be the coverage of contracts; the reason we get so much of this bilge water is that it is wicked easy for the reporters to cover it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes