PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SI piece: Steroids in the America names two NFL teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPF

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I just finished reading the Steroids in America piece in SI and came across some interesting things. Talk about cheating, looks like the Broncos and Packers had weight trainer who is considered "The Godfather of Steroids" on their staffs. The 2nd paragraph is from the late 80's and the last paragraph the late 90's. Green Bay did go to back-to-back SB's in 1997 & 1998 beating the Pats and losing to the Broncos. Makes you wonder.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/magazine/03/11/steroids.godfather/index.html

Here are some excerpts:

Soon, Fitton was working the phones night and day, interviewing doctors and advising trainers and athletes about performance enhancers. A ledger documenting more than a year of his steroid business, which SI obtained in court records, showed orders from bodybuilders, gym owners, college and pro football players, a deputy police chief and a University of Virginia strength coach. Fitton designed a complete steroid training program for several Oakland Raiders that included regular doses of Dianabol and Deca-Durabolin. Inquiries were constant. "The only check I did was, 'Who told ya?' " Fitton recalls. " 'Who mentioned my name?' If it sounded right -- if the person they said, I knew them -- it was all right."

Although he had served jail time for distributing drugs, Fitton worked with several NFL teams -- including the Denver Broncos and the Green Bay Packers -- on behalf of Musashi; he stresses that he wasn't trafficking in steroids at the time. (The Packers declined comment; a Broncos spokesman says the team has no knowledge of Fitton.)

He was charged with conspiracy to distribute narcotics and served four months in prison at Fort Dix West, a New Jersey penitentiary -- but not before, according to court documents, U.S. District Judge Sidney Stein delayed his sentencing by seven weeks to allow him to complete unfinished business with the Packers. (Stein did wonder, though, if an NFL team "would be better off to have weight trainers who do not have a history of anabolic steroids.") Upon his release in June 1998, policemen cuffed him, drove him directly to Newark Liberty International Airport and deported him to England.

Last edited:
Cheaters :)

Wow, lets see if this generates the same uproar that spygate did. It should.

But standing in plain sight of thousands of people and filming something else that is in plain sight of thousands of people and is easily negated by the simple act of the other team switching up its signals is far worse than taking a drug that makes you much stronger, faster and generally more productive on the field of play...;)

Last edited:
Damn Cheating Cheaters! Off with their heads!

send it to florio..lets see if he can generate some non-patriot noise

I'm still waiting for the uproar over the trainer charged with something or other who said he provided steroids to members of the Cowboys...that really went quiet very quickly.

:enranged:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots