PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SI.com: Pats @ Colts = game of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Game of the Week: Patriots at Colts - Adam Duerson - SI.com

Excerpt:

To give you an idea of how little Sunday's game will resemble last year's contest consider the four matchups SI highlighted in last year's preview issue. Reggie Wayne vs. Asante Samuel: Hurt and gone. Wayne didn't practice on Thursday; Samuel's an Eagle. Bob Sanders vs. Randy Moss: Hurt and bored. Sanders is still iffy with a knee; Moss is playing like a shell of the man he was in '07. Joseph Addai vs. Vince Wilfork: Addai's iffy with a hamstring; Wilfork's fine. Only Adalius Thomas vs. Dallas Clark looks like a guarantee this time around. And that's without counting the indirect Peyton Manning-Tom Brady matchup. You could argue that's there's barely half a healthy body between those two this season.

He is playing like the shell of the man is a little strong.Moss still has the explosiveness but it seems like our OC doesnt wanna throw it deep with Cassel.I think this game is big for this team.Its another step to see where this team is.They failed the first time in san diego.

Nice how he assumed Moss is bored. Sports media sucks.

I would love to get this win so the media can shut the f up about this team.It would be a solid win against a desperate team that will most likely play well to save their season.

I would love to get this win so the media can shut the f up about this team.It would be a solid win against a desperate team that will most likely play well to save their season.

W's are always great but if we get one the media will say it's because the colts are all injured and if they win they'll be saying Cassel and the Pats can't get it going without Brady.

Same here. I am sick of the little comments and digs against our team.

And that's without counting the indirect Peyton Manning-Tom Brady matchup. You could argue that's there's barely half a healthy body between those two this season.

Like BB said, Manning hasn't been on the injury list at all lately. Why should we assume or believe he's injured? I don't get the logic of "Manning isn't on pace to break any records so he MUST be hurt".

Like BB said, Manning hasn't been on the injury list at all lately. Why should we assume or believe he's injured? I don't get the logic of "Manning isn't on pace to break any records so he MUST be hurt".

Hunch: He's hurt and they're hiding it. He can't take much in the way of hits, hence the bad throws. I think he's going early and forced to aim for more difficult spots. The boys will let us know if he is hurt or not on Sunday night.

I just hope he doesn't get sacked all the way to the IR by us. We think the media is negative now...

Even though I may not agree with all his characterizations, in the end he still picked the Pats by a lot, so I can't hate on him TOO much.

Season Team Receiving Rushing Fumbles
G GS Rec Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Lost
7 7 32 471 14.7 66T 4 2 1

if you project these numbers out for a whole season they really are not that bad and not that far off his production last year TDs aside. Yes the numbers are smaller this year but I dont think they are as far behind as you would think with a back QB throwing to him instead of a MVP.

thats right its the game of the week

I just hope he doesn't get sacked all the way to the IR by us. We think the media is negative now...

screw the media ... ... sack his sorry arse... for all i care, have Wilfork tear one of his limbs up

this is what caught my eye

As in the number of sacks Matt Cassel has taken through seven games. Sixty is really the magic number when it comes to sacks and only six quarterbacks have ever reached that level. If you hit 60 you've either got stone feet (Jon Kitna, Steve Beuerlein) or seriously crazy-happy feet (Randall Cunningham, twice; David Carr, twice). The way I see it, Cassel, who's on pace for 64, falls into the later category but he's far from Cunningham-esque, meaning that I think the kid lacks grace, style, speed -- all that stuff you look for. Tom Brady is no Cunningham but he knows when to throw the ball away instead of curling up.

When Cassel moves I see more Carr in him than anyone else, which is scary. He gives up on his routes early, pulls the ball down, loses all sense of direction or composure and then he's dead meat. Against St. Louis last week on 2nd-and-8 I watched him drop back, panic at the slightest sense of pressure and then scramble right before sliding feet-first two yards short of the first down marker. There wasn't a pursuing defender anywhere near him.

What's worse, Cassel has gotten worse at this as the year has progressed. In his first three career starts he was sacked 10 times. In his last three, against the likes of St. Louis, San Diego and Denver, he's been sacked 13 times.

When asked to point out a weakness in New England's offense, one AFC defensive coach told us, pointedly, the "Broncos had six sacks." He added, "To say Matt Cassel has arrived, I don't think you can say that."

In fairness, maybe Cassel has been instructed by Bill Belichick not to take risks, to pull the ball down and eat it when things get hairy, in which case I have some rethinking to do. But I doubt it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots