Welcome to PatsFans.com

SI.com overrated/underrated

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by JoePats, Apr 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoePats

JoePats Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/stewart_mandel/04/23/2008draft/1.html

There's the link to the article, which was written by Stewart Mandel, a college football writer. The perspective is important because he's basing his evaluations on their production in college and stuff he saw in games, and not on combine measurables. I've picked out a couple that have been discussed here...

2. mcsully

mcsully Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 3 / -0

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/quentingroves.html

Quentin Groves:

Extremely inconsistent and lacks a great motor...Undersized and doesn't have the ideal bulk that you look for..Isn't stout at the point...Marginal instincts, awareness and recognition...Limited pass rush repertoire...Too aggressive at times...Slow off the line...Has trouble shedding blocks...Poor technique..A questionable work ethic

Sometimes players aren't playing in the right system but can be coached up.. When I read about his work ethic not being there.. FORGET IT..
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  3. tombonneau

tombonneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I always take these scouting reports with a grain of salt. For the most part, all these online scouts are outsiders relying on secondary sources for their reports. Throw in the fact they need to put these together for hundreds of players, and you have a not-so-reliable distributor of information.

For instance, "questionable work ethic" could be something stuck in there because as a sophomore there was an blurb in the local paper about coaches wanting him to try harder or something like that. Presto. Questionable work ethic!
  4. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

The only thing I had to go on was my questionable eyes when I watched him this season, I was unimpressed. Folks on here and elsewhere whom I take seriously seem to like him, he gets some lip service from draftniks and pundits, but me eyes just ain't buying. He's off my board (okay, my scrap paper with crayon scribbles) and I hope for his sake he's hot property and turns into a livng testiment to my bi-focal's flaws. :cool:
  5. Blizzzard

Blizzzard Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#54 Jersey

Holy Shnikes... those 2 assessments are polar opposites.
    Most assessments on him vary wildley. Watching his stock go up and down is like riding Space Mountain.

Good thing the Patriots have their own opinions to rely on ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.