Welcome to PatsFans.com

Shut Up and Sing

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Turk, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Turk

Turk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I just got to watch this movie on the Dixie Chicks last night.

Wow!

Highly recommend it.
  2. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Warms your heart, don't it.............. The way they turned on their "traditional" fans and gave them a great big "eff you" after those fans reacted to the comments THEY THEMSELVES MADE overseas. You know, those "traditional" fans that made them millions in the first place. :rolleyes:

I actually couldn't care less about the initial comments they made (that was their right), but the way they made themselves this pathetic sob story over sh!t they did to themselves is ridiculous. That and the lefty sympathizers that bought it hook, line and sinker. Singers should sing, actors should act..... Taking them serious beyond that is mind-boggling to me.

The name of flick is incredibly apt though: SHUT THE F UP and SING.
  3. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

So why isn't it quite so mind-boggling for anyone to take what you have to say about this seriously? What is it about you that makes you more qualified than Natalie Maines to speak about whether Bush is a good texan or not? You know the whole band is from there right? While you appear to be from New York. Did you get a college degree in texanism or something?
  4. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Duh............. did you even read what my post? Did I even say ANYTHING about TEXAS or Bush being a good or bad Texan? WTF..... SERIOUSLY, did I miss something?

Let's try again (read slower)........

I could care less with what they said, it was their right, just like it was the right of their fans to REVOLT against them and not buy albums or to go see them. I was actually commenting (and was quite clear I thought) on how I found it somewhat whiny for them on their last album to basically play the VICTIM card, as if the world wasn't treating them fairly. That's how cause and effect works. Had they just sang the whole time, with their talent, records would have continued to fly out the door.

And another thing, When did I actually say you had to take me seriously, on this or anything? I don't give a turd if you do or don't. I post my opinions or thoughts just like everyone else and you can take or leave it as you see fit. They are no more or less valid that anyone's elses. That what message boards are all about.

I don't mind if you bash me, but at least follow the conversation, so when you do, it makes sense.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2007
  5. Turk

Turk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

So, I gather you did not watch it.
  6. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

No that's simply not true. If you didn't care you wouldn't have implied that they should shut up when you said 'singers should sing, actors should act...'

That you'll have to forgive me on. I've always assumed that everyone who posts something here at least hopes that others will read what they have to say. I didn't realize that this place serves some other purpose (finger exercise?) for you.
  7. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

It was a nice feel good story about them as people and their struggle to "remain" true as opposed to bow to pressure. I'm sure they are fine people. Good for you that you found inspiration from it. Not everyone will though.

Well, they do imply that they are part of some vast right-wing conspiracy. Had they stuck to the MUSIC, or even just wrote a Bush Sucks song, they probably would have been just fine. Bottom line, right or wrong, fair or unfair, everything that happened to them stems from something they did.

In general, I'm not a huge fan of the hollywood elitist attitude, if you could not tell.

No, I would hope that people would read it, and perhaps even make them think. Believe it or not, I actually try read everything and respond accordingly (positively or negatively). What I said was, that I do not expect you (or anyone) to agree with me or concede that my point is more or less valid then anyone else's here. Some folks on here feel that way, I don't. All of us a capable of making good or bad points here.

Perhaps I'm wrong and the Dixie Chicks are the best things in the world. Fine, I just have difficulty mustering tons of sympathy.
  8. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +236 / 8 / -13

They are entitled to say anything they want. The issue is that they were upset and whining about censorship when their fans exercised their freedom of speech by not buying tickets and cd's. You can say anything you want be there may be consequences, no such thing as a free lunch.
  9. Turk

Turk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

That is not the issue at all, and their fans did buy their CD's, in record numbers.

It was the Corp. radio stations that censored them, which is why this was bothersome even for McCain, but you would know all that, had you seen the movie.

Again, this thread was about the movie and what I see is folks that have not seen it, making derogatory comments about it.

Personally, I loved it because of how they stumbled unto this conflict and how not only did they stand their ground but how they stood by each other.

These ladies who had been on the stage since they were 10-11 years old yet got labeled anything and everything in the book, overnight. They did not just get hate letters, they got assasination notices and yet they proved to have more integrity and more bal.ls than, well, just about all of us.
  10. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Dixie Chicks are cool. I could care less what anyone else says politically on their stage. This band can play like mofo's. Mayne can flat out sing and the sistas can play any instrument. Too bad they've become a political football, much of it their own doing, because they're really talented...and I don't like C&W that much. Look at Toby Keith. He sings songs that would make you think he's a Bush Republican, but he's the opposite in real life. C&W musicians aren't flag-wavin yahoos like me. They're not all for the occupation of Iraq, either. They're just musicians.

It's all a show fakrissakes.
  11. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

I'm not ready to back down, I'm not ready to make nice..

I really enjoyed this film, but was very concerned that it went to death threats... it is only music.
  12. Turk

Turk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Watch the movie, you will like it.
    And you will change your mind about Tubby Keith.
  13. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Turk, It's great that you find their story uplifting, you just can't expect everyone else too. It's great that they stand by their convictions, but it will come at a cost. They can live with it so "good for them".

My point was (and is) this: It's really not about what they said. Hell if they said that sh!t today, they'd get a thunderous ovation and 10 minutes of deafening cheers. It's their reaction to the whole thing that was annoying. In this day and age, you ain't cool unless your anti-Bush, so all should be forgiven, right. WRONG....... It goes deeper than that.

They obviously touched a deep emotional cord with THEIR listening audience. Sure right wing bloggers and radio execs stirred the pot, but it was THOSE PEOPLE that had the power to not buy and show their outrage the way they did (the death threats were stupid and over the top of course). But, as I said, these were the same folks that bought a combined 30 Million copies of their previous 3 albums prior to this incident. THESE were the people that put them there, and these are the people that tore them down.

With "Not ready to make nice", they basically said "fukc U, we'll do it our way" to THAT SAME group. While that sets the left wingers and the left leaning entertainment industry all a-twitter, the actual TARGET AUDIENCE THAT IS ATTRACTED TO THIER MUSIC (and would buy their music) basically said "fukc U, right back 'atcha, we're not ready to play nice either".

Despite all the hype, all the pushing, all the critical acclaim and awards, they've still only sold 2.2 Millions copies of "Taking the long way" (thats 20% of the previous three albums averages). It's obviously not the Bush comments now, cuz half the people who initially were offended, would now nod approvingly. They turned on THIER own crowd when those people got pissed at those stupid comments they made...... AND guess what, those people are the ones that will ultimately decide we ain't buying no more. When they abandoned those people, they were destined to become a "freak show" oddity known for an incident and not what they should be known for, thier music. Most artists are humble enough to understand that. Sadly the elitist's don't get it and they went the elitist way, and learned the hard way that the people with the money still have the power. It may suck, but it is true.

How many times have you had to "eat crow" for something stupid at work, cause you didn't wanna piss off the boss? You didn't wanna, but had to in order keep everything flowing smoothly and checks coming in. Same thing here.......

So, for their little moral stand, instead of filling arenas and selling MILLIONS of records now (like they should be), They're teaming up with a washed-up 70's band to open 7100 seat theatre. Way to go girls, you're a real inspiration

I'm convinced that had they come out with a statement 2-3 days after the fact and said "Well, we still think Bush is a moron, but it was wrong to say it over there", this would have been quickly forgotten and they'd be remembered for the music and not this silliness.

Yes, I'm not a huge CW fan, but I think the group is immensely talented and not only that, 2 outta 3 of em' are smoking hot too and totally bangable (I'm not into Maines look).
  14. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +663 / 2 / -9

America, Freedom,
    The Dixie Chicks have the freedom to speak, good.

The Fans have the freedom to "Not Buy" good.
    America
  15. Turk

Turk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

1. Again, you never watched the movie, did you?
    2. Where did I say that I expected everyone to find their
    story uplifting?
    3. When they said what they said, Bush's approval ratings
    were high up in sky, all of America was cheering for his
    illegal war. It took ball.s for them to speak the truth.
    4. It was not simply "those people" that tore them down,
    because they were still selling their albums, it was the
    radio station
    chains and even McCain was outraged at how they went
    about it. When they made the comment, they had a #1
    single and not one single c&w station would play the
    dammmn song.
    5. Do you honestly believe that they are a "freak show
    oddity?" I think history will judge differently.
    6. What is more important, filling arenas or being proud of
    your art, yourself, not selling out?
    7. I cannot stand c&w, but I have a whole lot of respect for
    these 3 young ladies, not only for their talent but also
    for their integrity.
    8. Let's continue this discussion when and if you actually
    do watch the movie.
  16. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's just typical liberal bullsh*t. They want to say whatever they want to and call it "free speech"... but when other people tell them to go f-themselves, they whine about how unfairly everyone is treating them.
  17. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Oh Turk, forgive me............... I failed to realize you were just was liberal parrot not really interested in discussion about the issue and you just wanna to crow about how these brave elitist singers got the shaft, and not why it happened to them in the first place. Pity.

And yeah...................... In 20 years they will be known more for this incident than they are for their music. And that's actually a shame, cuz they are quite talented. I could think of nothing worse as an artist then to be relegated to being the answer to a friggin trivial pursuit question, which is what they've become.
  18. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

Before you regurgitate right wing diatribe, suggest seeing the movie, while we are supposedly fighting wars to support our basic rights, this is clearly an erosion of them, rights are not situational the are benchmarks of our society.. particularly as there was a time when Natalie Maines was getting death threats, because of their stand.. what do we fight for, situational rights or the whole package?? Very easy to criticize them based on someone else's view and assumption, but there was a lot of stuff going on here, that should not have.
  19. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +663 / 2 / -9

Who cares about these show business clowns, they made their bed now let them lay in it.
    :bricks:
  20. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

It's interesting to compare them to their main 'musical' antagonist, Toby Keith. They still stand with their opinion. While he now claims to have never supported the war at all:confused:
    I really don't get too heavy into music, particularly Country. So if you reach the point where I've heard a couple of your songs, you've more than made it financially. It must be nice to have a pile of cash and your integrity, as opposed to plenty of money and not one shred of integrity left. Keith does have the fact that this audience still buys his albums even though just like the Chicks, he never supported the war either.

I think the main reason that nobody down south buys their stuff anymore is because the Chicks are just too smart. They knew from the start that Bush was dangerous and that the war was wrong. While Keith and country music fans had to go on an extended learning odyssey to reach that point.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2007