PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shula backpeddling

Status
Not open for further replies.

nummit

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3099870

scandal would have on any records that may be achieved by this season's New England Patriots on Thursday morning.
Shula told ESPN's "Mike and Mike in the Morning" that if the Patriots run the table and finish with a perfect record to match that of his 1972 Dolphins, then there "shouldn't be any attachment to it," referring to a possible asterisk next to New England's name in the record books.......

I strongly disagree with this

"You guys put forth the myth that we are pathetic losers down here clicking champagne glasses and clinging desperately to a record set 35 years ago," former Dolphins tight end Jim Mandich told the Daily News. "Somehow we've been portrayed as being evil. We don't ever blow our own horn. It's a great record, but the record doesn't get beaten.

Last edited:
I strongly disagree with this
What are you disagreeing about?
That is a butchered quote btw,full quote below.
"You guys put forth the myth that we are pathetic losers down here clicking champagne glasses and clinging desperately to a record set 35 years ago," Mandich said yesterday. "Somehow we've been portrayed as being evil. We don't ever blow our own horn. It's a great record, but the record doesn't get beaten. The Patriots have assembled a powerhouse of a team. They are a classy bunch of guys and play ball the right way. If they want to join the unbeaten club, come on aboard."

You know, I'm done with this stuff. We are 9 and 0. Undefeated through half the season. I can't remember the last time the Patriots started the season 9 and 0. I'm only 36 so maybe it happened before I was born. But in my lifetime I can't remember them having such a good start.

If we keep paying attention to all this sideshow crap we might miss all the great things that this team has the potential to do. Let's move on people. Let's enjoy this ride. This doesn't happen very often. We have a great football team. Let's enjoy the show while the mediots waste time and energy on nonsense.

I think they are pathetic losers clicking champagne glasses

As for the butchered quote comment, thats why I also included a link. I didn't think we were allowed to post the whole quote

Shula sounded like an idiot. Again. He started by saying that the Pats should be considered the best team if they ran the table, and he didn't actually say anything about an asterisk, etc. But when asked directly if he thought the Pats record should have an asterisk attached, he hemmed and hawed and said something like, "that's for the commissioner to decide." He just sounds like such a pathetic old tool. It's sad, I guess.

Good; I'm glad someone convinced him he sounded like a bitter old geezer. I don't know why everyone is attacking the champagne drinkers. To me it was always done in fun & I don't blame them for celebrating an accomplishment no one else has been able to meet.

Eveyone's becoming entirely too sensitive in the NFL. Just play the game & get on with it!!

Backpeddle? Hell, that's an outright reversal! In the article they call it a "clarification." Why doesn't he just apologize and say he made a mistake? Must've been a bad night at the steakhouses.

Perhaps Shula has just realized that he has a restuarant in Providence, RI and if he wants people to eat there, he'd better stop slamming their team.

That old sack of garbage needs to mind his own damn business.

Jeopardy is on at 4. that's all that scumbag should be worried about.

SCUMBAG

I think they are pathetic losers clicking champagne glasses

As for the butchered quote comment, thats why I also included a link. I didn't think we were allowed to post the whole quote
OK,I think they have a right to be proud of what they have done.
They stand alone for now.
Big difference between Shulas bitter attitude and Mandich's attitude.

Unfortunately, Mandich does not speak for Shula, Nick Buoniconti, and **** Anderson. Buoniconti and Anderson do toast champagne every year. They are these old geezers who are desperately holding onto this record and are too small to ever want anyone else to share it. There are some 72 Dolphins who are "pathetic losers down here clicking champagne glasses and clinging desperately to a record set 35 years ago" as Mandich calls them and some that aren't. Shula is in the are category.

OK,I think they have a right to be proud of what they have done.
They stand alone for now.
Big difference between Shulas bitter attitude and Mandich's attitude.

I think they should be proud, but it's interesting that when people have polls of the best 3 or 5 teams ever, the 72 Dolphins are often not even on the list with 85 Bears (my vote), 94 49ers, on of those 80s Redskins teams, etc.

"You guys put forth the myth that we are pathetic losers down here clicking champagne glasses and clinging desperately to a record set 35 years ago," Mandich said yesterday. "Somehow we've been portrayed as being evil. We don't ever blow our own horn. It's a great record, but the record doesn't get beaten. The Patriots have assembled a powerhouse of a team. They are a classy bunch of guys and play ball the right way. If they want to join the unbeaten club, come on aboard."

Mandich is ok.
He's Michigan too, isn't he?

Shula might be at the point mentally where he says something one day and someone has to tell him what the consequences are and he has to issue a retraction. It's called dementia. I said might and he doesn't always come across as confused but he is 77.

I read an article this morning in the Portland paper. It was and AP commentary and really called Shula a person in a glass house.

He cheated on his contract in 1970 and the NFL found he was in violation of a valid contract with Baltimore and took a 1st round draft choice away from Miami.

So Mr. Shula should not be casting any rocks at anyone. This makes his undefeated team "tarnished" and they should have an * by their record.:rocker:

He's still ticked off about the Snow Plow Game. I think after that 1980's game v. N.E, Shula, a member of the Rules or Competition Committee, pulled a Polian and had the rules changed the next year regarding machines on the field. He use that spot on the Committee throughout his career to his big time advantage, similar to the Colts and Titans at present.

Last edited:
I'm good with this,Shula finished by saying good stuff,
an outright apology would have been cool,but hey.

He was likely surprised by todays intense media clusterflup.

The Pats themselves are extremely likeable,respectful classy guys,that will come through with folks,who place the media below Lawyers on the trust/respect scale.

Casual fans will love the pillaging and plundering,and the handsome nice guy with the most beautiful gal in the world. Huge ratings,huge fanbase,it will turn out that this team has everybody watching,and a very large bandwagon.

Fans burned by the Pats will remember,but what else is new?

Something will blow soon,J'ville,Bengals,Tenn,Balt. will
give the gals something to yap about.

Maybe Big ben will try to stop another vehicle with his face?
Ray Lewis is about to burn Baltimore to the ground.
That could be fun.

Mr Mitchell's report is due,soon.

Another probable is Giant hype,Eli as the second coming.
Big build-up to super Bowl 41 7/8.
ESPN's NY guns blaring static in every direction.
"Eli is Coming".

Wow, that ol' geezer might pull something backpeddling that fast.

Either you mean it or you don't. And if you didn't mean it, then why did you say it in the first place.

Boy, spin and and double talk use to only exist in politics and corporate PR.

It's no great secret that the '72 Dolphins despise any team that makes a run at the record.

I....
He cheated on his contract in 1970 and the NFL found he was in violation of a valid contract with Baltimore and took a 1st round draft choice away from Miami.

So Mr. Shula should not be casting any rocks at anyone. This makes his undefeated team "tarnished" and they should have an * by their record.:rocker:

Don Shula has made himself an ass-terisk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes