PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shouldn't the Patriots wait a little longer before giving away #91?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You make absolutely no friggin sense. Big surprise there. Holding off for a year from giving out his jersey would NOT be retiring it. It would be doing so out of respect for the guy. Also, since you missed it, BB said that Marquise was instrumental in their preparations for many games, particularly against the Colts since Marquise could emulate Dwight Freeney very well.

So, while Marquise stats may not justify anything, he was behind 3 other DEs who are all starting quality. Its very hard to get playing time when your team is that stacked at a position.

You can't friggen read. Big suprise there. I never said that holding off on it for a year would be the same thing as retiring it. I said if they held it out for another year THEY MIGHT AS WELL RETIRE IT.

EDIT: I never realized how ******ed you truely are until now. That exact statement is right there in your quote.

Last edited:
You can't friggen read. Big suprise there. I never said that holding off on it for a year would be the same thing as retiring it. I said if they held it out for another year THEY MIGHT AS WELL RETIRE IT.

I agree with you. What you said was blunt, but it was true. That said, I feel for Hill and his family.

I have been a long time lurker on this board, and Dabruinz is one of the worst posters here. Total knee - jerk reactions to everything, and the inability to accept another poster's opinion if it does not jive with his own. Pretty clear he coulden't hold off on telling you how you make no sense, yet he didn't even read your post correctly. I love when he spouts off and looks foolish ( see above example)....

Go ahead Dabruinz, now tell me how much of an idiot I am :rolleyes: Make sure you read the post first, though!

Last edited:
I agree with you. What you said was blunt, but it was true. That said, I feel for Hill and his family.

I have been a long time lurker on this board, and Dabruinz is one of the worst posters here. Total knee - jerk reactions to everything, and the inability to accept another poster's opinion if it does not jive with his own. Pretty clear he coulden't hold off on telling you how you make no sense, yet he didn't even read your post correctly. I love when he spouts off and looks foolish ( see above example)....

Go ahead Dabruinz, now tell me how much of an idiot I am :rolleyes: Make sure you read the post first, though!

I'm sure 15 forum veterans are going to converge on you now. Not worry though. I got yo back, dawg.

EDIT: I never realized how ******ed you truely are until now. That exact statement is right there in your quote.

I bet he can spell truly.

Way to ignore the rest of his post, or do you have nothing to say to that?

Last edited by a moderator:

What did I tell you, Patslifer? Attack one of the old guard and the rest converge on you. To the F.B.I. of spelling and grammar: I agree with the rest of his post. You want to know why? Because it confirms that what I said earlier was true: he didn't make contributions ON THE FIELD in order to get his jersey retired. Yes, he was important in practice and I knew that but he was never really on the field hence why I said it would be wierd if they did retire his jersey.

I personally don't get why you two are attacking me on this one. I made true statements all the way around. Perhaps you can't handle it when someone is blunt. But you're right. I'm a coward. Big, bad DaBruinz scares me with his incredible logic. :rolleyes: Anymore pot shots you want to get in?

Can we lock this thread? A discussion about whether we should retire #91 is too important to have it degraded into a spitting contest over semantic grammar and spelling.

It has almost been a year since Marquise died. No one wore #91 all of last season, and there was the #91 helmet decal.

1 year is the perfect number.

2 years is just arbitrary. Just as arbitrary as 3 years or 4 years. There has to be a cut off at some point, and having it after year 1 has more meaning than after year 2.

Last edited:
Marquise did not have the numbers on the field, but it was still a tragic and untimely death. It is a sensitive issue and it is best not to use the jersey at this point. That being said I agree that we eventually have to move forward and this number shouldn't be retired.

The real issue here is that Ruud probably isn't doing himself any favors in the lockerroom by taking that number a year later. If I was a rookie I'd pick another number.

I'd be nearly 100% sure Rudd has never heard of Hill. I'd be nearly 100% sure none of the rookies have unless we have a New Orleans native or an LSU player as an UDFA.

The NFL (not the 2 teams of the players who reacted with appropriate respect) basically ignored the first 3 of its players who passed in 2007. When compared with the way the league treated Sean Taylor's death it was a disgrace - one that few called them on.

The real issue here is that Ruud probably isn't doing himself any favors in the lockerroom by taking that number a year later. If I was a rookie I'd pick another number.

Considering the fact that announcers on FOX on national TV were wondering why the Patriots were wearing a 2nd number next to Sean Taylor's, I can say that I wouldn't blame Ruud since he probably doesn't even know what Hill's number was.

The NFL (not the 2 teams of the players who reacted with appropriate respect) basically ignored the first 3 of its players who passed in 2007. When compared with the way the league treated Sean Taylor's death it was a disgrace - one that few called them on.

who were the other two?

I'd be nearly 100% sure Rudd has never heard of Hill. I'd be nearly 100% sure none of the rookies have unless we have a New Orleans native or an LSU player as an UDFA.

It's Ruud, not Rudd. Gotta get this drilled in before it becomes a problem (see Brandon Meriweather misspelled as "Merriweather"). ;)

I don't see why his on-field production should have anything to do with it, fact is he was a part of the Patriots community, and his memory deserves more respect than it's getting.

Many former players from the old Boston Patriots are dead. Ditto guys from the early 70s. Heck, is Raymond Berry alive? (I looked it up, he's alive.)

Not to be an ass or anything, but...

- Which part was inhumne? The "who cares?" part, the "it sucks that the guy died" part, or the statement about retiring his jersey? I'm sorry if you're feelings are easily hurt but I didn't make that statement to be inhumane. I was merely offering my opinion on the matter. I also stated that I tried to sugar coat it but doing so would not get my point across so I left it as is.

Inhumane applies to making dogs fight each other to the death. He meant "uncaring sounding" or something. Yes, "who cares?" etc. is kind of cold sounding.:D

My personal feeling is it should be retired. I realize Hill isn't going to the HOF, but still he is no only Patriots player to die while active.

Although the Jets didn't formally retire Dennis Byrd's number, it has not been reissued since he suffered his career-ending injury in 1992. And he was HOF material either.

Lucky number. Anyone ever use Darryl Stingley's number? I would think superstition about that would exist too.

"Don't worry, mom, I won't get paralyzed."

Last edited:
I'm not in favor of retiring any player's numbers in football. There are too few available numbers at certain positions. I love Tippett and Nelly, but No. 56 and No. 57 should be put back in circulation.

Many former players from the old Boston Patriots are dead. Ditto guys from the early 70s. Heck, is Raymond Berry alive? (I looked it up, he's alive.)

Not to be an ass or anything, but...

True, but he is the only New England Patriot to die while on the team. Everyone dies at some point.

Who cares? It sucks the guy died but if they wait another year to give the jersey number out, they might as well retire it. And Hill didn't do anything on the field to deserve getting his jersey retired.

Wow...... sometimes its not all about what they did on the field...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye