PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should we stop throwing #1's at Tight Ends?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've watched the Patriots for a long time and I've seen them get as good or better production out of tight ends, some from the 3rd, 5th or 8th round.

I could have sworn we were focusing on BB's preference's and not past coaches...

They had to trade up to get Graham so that's 2 #1's plus another pick.

Are you saying they've received great value here?

BB must think so if he's offering a $4 mil deal as reported. I think a TE who can run a 4.6 and block like a LT, not to mention the odd acrobatic catch, is a good value.

Or are you saying they are infallible like the Pope and we should shut down the messageboards lest someone question a decision.

Don't be patronizing. If you've watched the Pats long enough to remember 8th round TEs you should be able to appreciate what BB has done for this franchise and the superiority of the product he delivers. It's not worship to point out he's right substantially more often than not, complaining about his draft decisions and his team building is almost goose and golden egg hubris.

I think they've had better moments than deciding they needed to spend 2 firsts and a bonus pick for one receiver and a blocker.

Those firsts could have been spent elsewhere, you know.

A paradigm changing revelation. I do hope your done with the obvious.

I don't think one less first round tight end would have caused us to lose in the playoffs.
You don't think one less first round TE would have caused the Pats to lose in the playoffs, but you don't know. We can look back on 2002 and say the Pats should have taken Ed Reed in round one and drafted Randy McMichael in round four, isn't hindsight fun? Of course, there has been the occasional incident with McMichael...

25% of BB drafted TEs where taken in the first, isn't it odd they stuck and started?

You asked a philosophy question, what is your team building philosophy? Keep Wiggins? Carolina didn't keep him. Minnesota is reportedly releasing him, guess he's the real deal at TE.

I've watched the Patriots for a long time and I've seen them get as good or better production out of tight ends, some from the 3rd, 5th or 8th round.

They had to trade up to get Graham so that's 2 #1's plus another pick.

Are you saying they've received great value here?

Or are you saying they are infallible like the Pope and we should shut down the messageboards lest someone question a decision.

I think they've had better moments than deciding they needed to spend 2 firsts and a bonus pick for one receiver and a blocker.

Those firsts could have been spent elsewhere, you know.

I don't think one less first round tight end would have caused us to lose in the playoffs.

I agree with your points. The Pats shouldn't blow any more first round picks on TEs and the pick on Graham was a wasted pick because of the way he has been used in the Pats offense. Graham was primarily used as a blocking TE and you can find those types of players in later rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back