PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should we have made a push to bring in Sharper or Dawkins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody has answered my "question yet." Why do you sign a Sharper or Dawkins when you drafted a guy in the first round, and then early in the second round two years later at safety? Is Chung a bust?

No, but he is a rookie who, though improving, is raw in coverage.

Nobody has answered my "question yet." Why do you sign a Sharper or Dawkins when you drafted a guy in the first round, and then early in the second round two years later at safety? Is Chung a bust?

when were these guys available... was it during free agency before the draft or afterwards?

Updated: March 1, 2009, 7:59 PM ET

Brian Dawkins signs with Denver Broncos - ESPN

Published: Wed, March 18, 2009 - 6:05 pm CST

Saints Sign Darren Sharper - New Orleans Nfl - WKRG.com

The 2009 NFL Draft was the seventy-fourth annual meeting of National Football League (NFL) franchises to select newly eligible football players. The draft took place at Radio City Music Hall in New York City on April 25 and 26, 2009. The draft consisted of two rounds on the first day starting at 4:00pm ET, and five rounds on the second day starting at 10:00am ET.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NFL_Draft

Last edited:
Last edited:
So we sign a 36-year old or a 34-year old instead of drafting a guy early. I thought we were trying to get younger? Is Chung a bust? Has he been a disappointment? Shouldn't we have seen Meriweather and Chung unleashing hell from the secondary this season? Would we even be having this conversation if they were?

Why are you processing this as an "either/or" question when it's clearly not one?

Globe Staff / May 6, 2009

The Patriots signed free agent safety Brandon McGowan to a two-year contract yesterday

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2009/05/06/safety_in_numbers_here/

Last edited:
So we sign a 36-year old or a 34-year old instead of drafting a guy early. I thought we were trying to get younger? Is Chung a bust? Has he been a disappointment? Shouldn't we have seen Meriweather and Chung unleashing hell from the secondary this season? Would we even be having this conversation if they were?

the decision to sign or not sign them was made before the draft.

I made a suggestion during the offseason that the Pats should've gone after Darren Sharper. Obviously, the Pats didn't get my memo. For all he's done with the Packers and Vikings, It's shocking how many teams didn't want him for only a 1 year 1 million dollar contract. Although the addition of Sharper would be nice, the Pats don't have a pass rush or pressure scheme to get him interceptions.

Funny that, since all this talk of Sharper and Dawkins started I've been searching back into the forum archives to get a feel of the forum's take on those guys when they were actually available, and the only post I've found of yours that suggested we should take Sharper was this one - and it's clearly just a list, with Sharper (a career FS, listed as a SS) listed behind Jermaine Phillips, Oshiomogho Atogwe and Sean Jones.

I've done a fair bit of digging over the last couple of days, and the forum opinion back in February or so was that Dawkins and Sharper were too old and not worth the money to be picked up, and people wanted guys like Atogwe and Phillips, or Rodney to stay on and we drafted our next SS within the first 100 picks (which we did).

It seems like a few in this thread are either lying or have poor memories.

Funny that, since all this talk of Sharper and Dawkins started I've been searching back into the forum archives to get a feel of the forum's take on those guys when they were actually available, and the only post I've found of yours that suggested we should take Sharper was this one - and it's clearly just a list, with Sharper (a career FS, listed as a SS) listed behind Jermaine Phillips, Oshiomogho Atogwe and Sean Jones.

I've done a fair bit of digging over the last couple of days, and the forum opinion back in February or so was that Dawkins and Sharper were too old and not worth the money to be picked up, and people wanted guys like Atogwe and Phillips, or Rodney to stay on and we drafted our next SS within the first 100 picks (which we did).

Nobody is lying (though a few might have poor memories). It's just that this defense lost a lot of leadership. Guys that would get in your face in the locker room and challenge you to perform better. The guys like Bruschi and Vrabel were gone. Guys like Rodney were gone. Nobody's arguing that we shouldn't have drafted Chung and, instead, SHOULD have brought in Dawkins or Sharper. As Deus said, it's not an either or argument. The simple question is, looking back, would it have been better for us to bring in guys like Sharper or (especially) Dawkins to provide some locker room leadership until Chung became ready?

Nobody is lying (though a few might have poor memories). It's just that this defense lost a lot of leadership. Guys that would get in your face in the locker room and challenge you to perform better. The guys like Bruschi and Vrabel were gone. Guys like Rodney were gone. Nobody's arguing that we shouldn't have drafted Chung and, instead, SHOULD have brought in Dawkins or Sharper. As Deus said, it's not an either or argument. The simple question is, looking back, would it have been better for us to bring in guys like Sharper or (especially) Dawkins to provide some locker room leadership until Chung became ready?

If people were looking for an "either/or" scenario, Sanders v. Dawkins/Sharper would be the way to look at it.

If people were looking for an "either/or" scenario, Sanders v. Dawkins/Sharper would be the way to look at it.

Someone else can start that thread. :cool:

Re-signing lil' Jimmy Sanders was a(nother) waste of money by Emperor William. Also see Connelly, Dan; Alexander, Eric; Kaczur, Nick; et.al.

The guy I wanted him to sign as our SS for this season was Sean Jones. He played under RAC the past 4 years in Cleveland, so the transition would've been as seamless as a vet joining a new team could've been expected to make; he has the height/weight which I prefer in a SS; and he would've cost over $2M /year less than Jimmy the JAG.

P.S. to Klinefan: pay no heed to the delusional, KoolAid-drinking homers who are too blind to see that the Emperor is no longer wearing any clothes.

Thanks for the support. It's hard to be a fan around here if you're not a mindless homer apparently.

Sean Jones woulod have been great, Jimmy the jag couldn't have said it better.

Wish they'd get a decent DC and OC. Offense is so predictable it's ridiculous. Maroney single back it's like "gee is that Maroney off tackle?" About 90% of the time it is and the defense knows it. Duh, do you think you could create some formations which are a little less predictable? Or how about 4th and 2 at the miami 5 yard line. Gee, a fullback in the game...fullback dive anyone? Yep. Stoned!

Thanks for the support. It's hard to be a fan around here if you're not a mindless homer apparently.

Sean Jones woulod have been great, Jimmy the jag couldn't have said it better.

Wish they'd get a decent DC and OC. Offense is so predictable it's ridiculous. Maroney single back it's like "gee is that Maroney off tackle?" About 90% of the time it is and the defense knows it. Duh, do you think you could create some formations which are a little less predictable? Or how about 4th and 2 at the miami 5 yard line. Gee, a fullback in the game...fullback dive anyone? Yep. Stoned!

You bring up some good points. But I think other Pats fans maybe don't take you as a serious Pats fan because you are so negative towards the current regime that won 3 superbowls in a 4 year period. Granted it's been almost 5 years since the last one but we are only a couple years removed from a near perfect season. Having lived thru the **** Macpherson, Rod Rust and Pete Carroll eras, one would think you would be a little more tolerant of the Pats front office in light of what they have accomplished over the last 9 years.

It's always possible Dawkins was looked at. Perhaps BB balked at signed a player that old for 5 years? And at $3+ mil a year, who else don't we have now because we didn't have the cap room after signing Dawkins?

I've done a fair bit of digging over the last couple of days, and the forum opinion back in February or so was that Dawkins and Sharper were too old and not worth the money to be picked up, and people wanted guys like Atogwe and Phillips, or Rodney to stay on and we drafted our next SS within the first 100 picks (which we did). It's an understatement to say that the Saints got Sharper for a bargain this year.

Thanks for bringing that up. Listing Sharper as a SS was a mistake as the list was supposed to be Safeties in general or "S" instead of "SS". I was actually very high on Sharper and Sean Jones as I knew that Phillips and Atogwe were going to be franchised.

Last edited:
BB has had so much experience with older DBs getting injured, I think they looked at such opportunities carefully with the cap being a huge consideration. Shawn Springs cost next to nothing and the cost of solid to good DB in his late 20s is so off the charts, that the only way to do as complete a transitions as this one is through the draft. These guys have been very good for the most part except against Brees and Manning. Paying for Dawkins makes zero sense since there is no long-term value in a 36-year-old. Sharper would be better for getting some longevity, but I like the looks of the DB corps next year with the opportunity to draft another safety or big cover corner who can learn from these guys.

Why are you processing this as an "either/or" question when it's clearly not one?

Safety in numbers for Patriots as they sign McGowan - The Boston Globe

It relates back to the original post, which had no mention of Chung at all. My point is that, if Chung had lived up to his early second-round status by now, does this thread even get created? He seems like a forgotten man, and the original post made it seem like Meriweather and McGowan were the only safeties on the roster, and that the Pats should have signed Dawkins or Sharper instead of McGowan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back