Welcome to PatsFans.com

Should we have a rule?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Aug 11, 2011.

?

Should the forum have a rule against using words like teabagger?

1. Yes

12.0%
  2. No

80.0%
  3. Undecided

8.0%
  1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +163 / 4 / -4

Recently, we've seen that some people are very bothered by the term "tea bagger," basically arguing that it's a demeaning way to refer to tea party activists. But, this forum has a rich history of insulting terms for political beliefs. It was easier for me to find demeaning terms for liberals than conservatives, such as "liberal dork," "Jessie Jackoff," "liberal loon," "Obama jug ears," "liberal a s s h o l e," "liberal plantation," and others.

Do you think we should have rule preventing these kinds of sophomoric insults? If you answer yes, please propose the language for that rule.
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +175 / 5 / -22

There is no sense in making a new rule, when established rules are not enforced. Ad hominen attacks continue by a particular poster daily without reproach. Review and enforce the old rules, before you make a new rule.

Let me think about it, but terms like "polesmoker", "crackhead in chief", "false teeth pelosi" et al. do not lend themselves towards intelligent conversation. Personally think that they are one step beyond demeaning and negate the quality of any thread.

There is a fine line between meaningful discussion and just plain old stereotyping... what is parroted here is pretty much stuff from Rush Limbaugh, Howie Carr et al. Who have made a living off of describing the oppositions body size and sexual orientation.

It is difficult to write a rule that would set these limits.. cannot imagine the parameters of such, even though there is a need. Glad to see that you are at least making the effort, as it is long overdue.

Of course the right who likes to limit peoples personal freedoms, what can be said in schools, what you can read and personal choices, will say that this is limits on their "freedom of speech".

My vote for undecided has to do with viewing the rule, before a vote can be cast.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

No......................
  4. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +349 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

WoW!! How rich is this????

I've been here for a couple years now and have heard liberals called every name under the sun. In fact, you almost never see the term "liberal" without the term "loon" attached to it.

I've, personally, been refered to as "Mrs. DB," "Summer's Eve," and directed into the kitchen more times than I can count.

Liberals get accused of "wetting their drawers," they're called "pole smokers," every time we turn around.

And now the mods are seriously considering making "teabagger" off limits? When the members of the Tea Party themselves have used the phrase? When's the last time anyone heard Obama refer to himself as "Crackhead in Chief," or Nancy Pelosi call herself "False Teeth Pelosi?"

Good grief, there's a thread here right now that's titled "Rich Liberal Dork" where a liberal is compared to a "little rodent." There's one titled "John Fonda Kerry." There's "Aunt Zucchini," there's "Free Pass for the Windbag,"
    "The Loon's Poster Boy," "The Windbag," The Skanky Old Billionaire Bag Speaks," "Racist Politician Pig," - and that's just in the last three weeks - and that's just the thread titles - it would take 4 posts to list all the names liberals are called in individual posts.

I'm all about getting rid of demeaning terms - and I've said so numerous times - as have other liberals in the forum - but to suddenly take those complaints seriously because there have been complaints about "Teabagger" being used - that's the ultimate in one-sidedness.

I'd have to see what kind of changes would be made before I'd go along with this one.

Perhaps a better question would have posed would have included all of the other derogatory phrases that get tossed around.

Maybe we could just ban adjectives.
  5. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

****ing Tea Baggers and their situational ethics.

Now that I know it bothers them, we should use it more. They do the exact same when they call the president a "crackhead."

I don't mind "jug ears," as there is a tangible joke there. But to call the man a "crackhead" without any frame of reference whatsoever, it's just kinda retarded.
  6. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +184 / 3 / -10

Can we have a rule that any bum who gets permanently banned can't come back as someone else?:D

Especially if they come back singing the same old song!
  7. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +184 / 3 / -10

See, if you weren't a partisan robot, you wouldn't care who got insulted.
  8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +332 / 1 / -9

I'm sorry, I'm a product of the streets, when I grew up College was not for anybody in my neighborhood we were all lucky to make it to the first year of high school, it isn't the language or the way it's said that gets under the liberals skin it's knowing that there are people out there that don't think like them and those people actually have the audacity to admit it and make fun of their little dream world and all of their left wing bat sh!t heros.

Things like “Jug Ears” or “Jessie Jackoff” bother the liberal because they hit the nail on the head, what in the name of god is wrong with “teabaggers” if crap like this continues how long will it be before in the game of football “Tackeling” is made illegal for fear of “offending” the other player, this foolishness all began when some liberal weasel came up with earth shattering idea of changing the word “Dump” to “Transfer Station” on the streets where I came from it’s still a “f-cking dump” but of course the powers to be on this forum have every right in the world to police this forum as they see fit, so be it.
    GOD WILLING

P f-cking S
    From my observation it's the well educated, well spoken, scumrat bastards all dressed up in their seer sucker suits that start wars and are responsible for some poor ass hole losing his home and his car than they leave the office early and go out and have sex in the toilet of some fancy hotel bar room, we had one of these Liberal Loons getting blow jobs in the White House Oval Office and using Cuban Cigars for a sex toy
    "f-ck daylight savings time"
  9. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +332 / 1 / -9

Hi, I saw a robin this morning.....:singing:
  10. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

We all know liberals are a bunch of babykillers -- no one's offended by that, right?
  11. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +549 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

NO ...

The forum should not be bullied by the verbal terrorist known as wolfpack. This guy's presence here is divisive and he exploits semantics on a juvenile level to please his ego and imaginative righteousness.

We all know what a tea bagger is but we also know that most tea is contained in a tea bag. Tea party ... tea bags ... tea baggers those terms are nowhere near as offensive as pole smokers which is an obvious term that denotes a blow job.
  12. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +349 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

If there was ever a post which cried out for a "rule" against unnecessary, deliberate, derogatory terminology this is it.

I wasn't going to vote, thinking that the majority of people here were well-educated, mature and attuned enough to anomosity in general to cut back on things on their own - but, as usual, the majority is always less vocal and so "yes," it is.
  13. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +549 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

This ... Mrs. PF and me generally agree on matters of decorum and manners.;)
  14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +175 / 5 / -22

You just showed, once again, that you are not a product of the streets as you claim.. 90 year old men do not articulate their thoughts never mind typing that well on a keyboard.

Fess up Harry Boy your fraud is showing.
  15. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +332 / 1 / -9

Could be, but it's all true.........
  16. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 2 / -1

imo, the rule can't simply be against using certain words, it has to be against trolling, continuous insulting behavior, etc. That is more difficult and requires more active moderating than this forum has or will have. (The stuff that goes on here would never be permitted on in the main Pats forum.)

(This isn't intended as an insult to Patters, 13, et al, just commenting on what appear to be the facts of the situation.)
  17. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +175 / 5 / -22

That articulates my concern as well, the current rules are not enforced, for example the comments against Mrs. Pats Fan VA were clearly violations, and every day there are ad hominen attacks by the same posters..

Guess it shows where the power is, a righty raises a concern and poof there is an automatic response..

Enforce the current rules and see what happens, until then no sense in having more rules on paper.
  18. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So the vulgar sexual reference of placing one's testicles in another's mouth is OK, but the vulgar sexual reference of performing oral sex on a man isn't? You have got to be kidding.

All I've ever asked for is for the rules of the forum to be applied fairly and equally to all. We should either allow both terms or ban both terms. But no, liberals wants the vulgar reference for conservatives to be ok and to disallow the vulgar reference to liberals.
  19. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

"Liberal dork" and "chickenhawk conservative" (etc) are nowhere near as vulgar as the term "tea baggers". My preference is to make both "tea baggers" and "pole smokers" a rules violation, but I would be perfectly comfortable with both terms being allowed.

What I do not want is the hypocrisy of allowing one term to be used regularly while the other is forbidden.
  20. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

And the people who have done that received infractions and warnings.
    So is that the new standard? If I search the internet and find some gay people who refer to themselves as a "f*gs," does that mean I get to used that term in this forum?

(Why does nobody ever answer that question when I ask it?)
    No, the ultimate in one-sidedness is to permit such a vulgar reference to be used against conservatives but to forbid an equally vulgar reference which happens to be used against liberals.