Welcome to PatsFans.com

Should we donate money to Japan ?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by cupofjoe1962, Mar 14, 2011.

1. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +107 / 15 / -9

I am sorry to see what happened to Japan, but i can't help but wonder
    how much money we are going to spend on Japan aid and relief.

Japan is not a poor nation.

I believe Japan holds over 800 billion dollars of our national debt.

I am not against helping Japan, but I feel whatever money we spend on food or supplies, should be reduced from the debt we owe Japan.

Japan is not Haiti.....

2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 7 / -2

I like giving humanitarian aid, as opposed to financial aid. That means giving them actual supplies, air support, etc.

3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +618 / 12 / -5

#24 Jersey

Don't those things cost money? Is there a difference between sending them $50,000,000 cash or $50,000,000 worth of food, water, building supplies, etc.?

4. jcdavey

jcdavey In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

the real question is, how much does america already owe to japan, since america is in so much debt and owes other countries so much money already.....

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  5. jcdavey

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

here's my answer :

Q: How much money does america owe other countries?

A:Its highest debts are to China,Japan & Great Britain.

The debt to Great Britain alone rose from $180.3 Billion to $541.3 Billion in just 1 year!

Read more: Answers.com - How much money does america owe other countries

so in essence you are against lending aid to a place the US already owes a crapload to

that would make the US even bigger douchebags than they are lol

6. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +351 / 15 / -11

I'm donating, not because Japan can't afford, but because people need help.

International response to Hurricane Katrina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

7. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +435 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

Yet you support harboring illegal aliens....go figure!:rolleyes:

BTW, you should have written,

"that would make the US even bigger douchebags than WE are"

Unless you've been deported JC...is that the case?:D

Another "I hate America looser"....thank GOD you don't live in New England!

If the USA is such a db country, why do Japanese citizens immigrate to our great nation more than any other on earth? Why do so many from around the world desire to live here more than any other country?

But you won't respond JC, because you're a "hit & run" poster here....the cowardly kind.

8. jcdavey

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

i'm an american but not in america, and even when i was in america, yes we were a douchebag of a country even then

of course people immigrate to the US , it's not ALL bad, but don't try to deny it's a douchebag of a country built on slavery and murder......

and everyone there cept native americans and 'some' mexicans, are indeed from immigrants lol

9. jcdavey

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

oh and , japanese immigrate to the US, despite the US once locking up japanese americans for no reason

yeah.......US did that

but try and act like their **** doesn't smell .....****** republicans lol

10. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +435 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

My, my...a tad giggly today aren't you?

I can't speak for replicans because I'm not a republican. But I know neither democrats nor republicans are more righteous than the other. Each are equally American.

The United State was born as a result of conquering the "new land". If you view that as sad, then you must apply that same rationale to every country on earth that was conquered since the beginning of time. It's no different.

Imprisoning Japanese-Americans was wrong, but understandable given the circumstances after Pearl Harbor. But it's easy to be righteous when you don't have a clue like you JC as you sit on your self-righteous perch from wherever. It's good you aren't living here...good for us!

The 1800's were closer to the dark ages than to the 21st century as far as social history goes. Humans were still pretty savage back then. Slavery was the result of a savage human race. But that was life WAY back then. Racism is not an American trait, it's a human trait...and a sad one at that.

Racism...is not something to be ashamed of JC. It is something to be accepted and learned from. Why should you or I be ashamed of racism if we are not racists? I would love to read your opinion on this.

Am I proud to be an American? You bet your illegal alien lovin booty I am! Am I aware of America's weaknesses & faults? Of course, how could I not be? But it's a beautiful country born of people from all over this world.

So can you share with us a list of countries with as many ethnic backgrounds as the country you despise so much? I'd love to see that list JC.

P.S. I bet you'd be SHOCKED to know that I voted for Obama! And that I've never voted for a republican president in my life (but my life isn't over yet).

11. Real World

Ratings:
    +654 / 7 / -2

Everything cost money, but yes I think there is a difference. I never like sending money. You simply don't know what happens to it, or whose pockets it lines, once it's been wired abroad. Sending supplies, or tangiable support is more efficient, as well as more rewarding. Wheat and corn can come from american farmers. Tents and various other supplies could come from american manufacturers, and the logisitical support is putting to use instraments that are already in place (helecopters, transport ships, etc.). Then there is the added benefit of putting a human face on the aid. People seeing Americans helping them after a disaster of sorts. That does more than just sending a check for $X. IMO anyway. Not everyone has to agree.

12. Real World

Ratings:
    +654 / 7 / -2

Um, I believe it was Roosevelt who created the internment camps during WWII, and he wasn't a republican. So PR is indeed correct. Niether party is any more righteous than the other.

13. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +618 / 12 / -5

#24 Jersey

I do and I don't. I totally understand the "human" factor of donating goods. It at least shows an interest beyond a tax deduction. As much as I like getting money for a birthday present, it's always a kick to get a present that you can tell someone took time picking out for you. (Conversely, it's a kick in the teeth to get something that you can tell someone took NO time with....like a football when you really hate sports and really love reading.) Maybe that's my fear about sending goods rather than cash. They know what they need, I don't. But, your point about not knowing where the money ends up is a very good one.

Hard to know what's the exact right thing to do, isn't it?

Personally, and I am talking only local charities, I've always donated time rather than anything tangible like a check or an item. For me, that feels the most personal of all.

14. Real World

Ratings:
    +654 / 7 / -2

What does a birthday gift have to do with anything? We're talking disaster relief, and not a new barbie doll or diamond necklace. Plus, I was referring to government aid, and not personal donations. I think people can donate whatever it is they want. It's their/your money. When it comes to the US Government, I prefer tangiable support to handing over large sums of money.

15. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +618 / 12 / -5

#24 Jersey

Same principal, RW. What good does it do for the US government to donate 40,000 air conditioners when what they need is 40,000 space heaters? Also, it doesn't do any good if every country which decides to donate decides to donate the same thing - thus creating an over-abundance of one no-longer needed thing and the total absence of some other much needed thing.

My mistake for thinking we could have a civil conversation based on an analogy.

16. jcdavey

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

you're the illegal alien lol

17. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

What should be done about that?

18. Real World

Ratings:
    +654 / 7 / -2

Huh? [​IMG]

19. jcdavey

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

well ya know i'd love for the native americans to re-conquer the current americans, but it's not gonna happen, so i guess we just wait till everyone dies

yeah, that sounds good :D

20. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Then what do the native Americans do with the all the immigrants crossing over by land, air and sea that presume they have a right to their land and resources?