PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should we be Bengals fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GostkowSKI

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Didn't see this in any other thread or I wasn't looking hard enough, but now that it looks like Indy has a stranglehold on the #1 seed in the AFC, it might be in the Pats best interest to have the Bengals win the AFC North.

Let's say here's how the final AFC Standing shake out:

1. Indy
2. Pats
3. Bengals
4. AFC West winner
5. Steelers
6. Wild Card winner #2

If the Bengals hang on to win the division, then Pitt would the best of the wild card teams and the #5 seed in the AFC and probably the favorite in a first round playoff game @ the #4 seed, either Denver or San Diego.

Barring a #6 seed over Bengals upset in the first round, then Pitt would travel @ Indy in the second round where the Pats would host Cincy. I'd much rather let the Steelers and Colts battle it out with each other while the Pats play the Bengals.

If the Colts win, then it's a rematch of last nights game. If the Steelers win then the Pats host the AFC Championship Game.

Even if the Bengals win the #2 seed in the AFC (they're next three games are @ Oakland, vs. Cleveland and vs. Detroit), then the Pats would host the #6 seed in the first round and Pitt would still be @ the AFC West winner. The same principals above would apply, only in the second round Pats would travel @ Cincy and Pitt would go to Indy.

It's a little early to be projecting these playoff positions, but any scenario where Pitt and Indy play each other is probably in the best interest of the Pats.

Interesting forward thinking. Seems that most years these things really don't sort themselves out until late in the year anyways.

I don't care what happens. I just want another shot at Indy. We're the better team. At the same time though, Indy would have a nightmare going through Pitt and the Pats on their way to the Super Bowl.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing them finish undefeated, and then losing in the second or third rounds of the playoffs. That would be the best case scenario for me.

Why should we Bengals fans? They have a 7-2 record, the Pats have a 6-3 record. We need the Bengals to lose games for the Pats to get the #2 seed. They hardly need to "hold onto the AFC North" - they practically have it locked up.

The Bengals and their schedule have to be looked upon as near certain #2 seed unless they totally destruct and from what I have seen of that defense its getting better each game,not worse.

The Pats unless they continue to destruct like in last nights game go on to win the majority of thier games should be #3 seed unless Denver gets it,San Diego is our hope to win that division since we don't play them this season.

We need to become Chargers fans on the side if anything.

Bottom line is this team is destined for the #4 seed and hopefully maybe #3 but this team is not getting the top 2 seed playoff week off...see little chance of that.

Anyone else see the Pats stumble onto the field after the Bye?

I'm ok with not getting the bye. I get why it's a good thing, but I think we have momentum going into the playoff's, we should just keep rolling.

I would be happy if Pit can somehow play Indy. I don't like our chances at Indy, but I feel better about playing the Steelers, Chargers, or Bengals. I think people are getting too excited about Cinci, there's seven games to go.

I think the Colts fans want us to have a higher seed, so another good lower seeded team can take us out. Colts' fans nightmare is playing NE and then PIT to get to the SB.

Actually, until the Bengals lose at least one more AFC game, I am a huge fan of whoever they play. BTW, the Bengals have the head to head and division tie breakers against the Steelers. So the Bengals would have to lose at least two more and the Steelers need to sweep the rest of their games for the Steelers to win the division.

Lastly, if Polumalu is out for a long period of time, who is to say the Steelers even make the playoffs. They are a completely different team without him in there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back