PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should they waive the 5 year waiting period for Cassell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayClay

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
I've had a change of heart recently and realized Cassell is a very unusual quarterback.

Despite no college experience, I can tell by one game that he is ready to take over for Brady at a moments notice.

In fact, at his rate of improvement, He will probably be competing with Tom for the top job soon.

I envision a Steve Young, Joe Montana situation ahead and wonder why his ascent to Canton can't be accelerated.

Certainly he is not the normal 7th round draft pick that didn't play in college but now is so solid we don't need other quarterbacks.

Actually I don't know of another one but if there is one, I'm sure Matt is better.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Cooperstown is the baseball hall of fame.

Other than that...spot on.:D

bmf31c said:
Cooperstown is the baseball hall of fame.

Other than that...spot on.:D

Thanks, corrected! Although I heard he was taking grounders on his day off!

I was reading the other thread that spawned this one and I have to say, I side with those that think we should bring in a Vet to compete for a spot, be it 2 or 3. I think the Cassel hype machine may be getting a little out of hand. Who knows maybe he'll light the world on fire or he may be the next Bishop.

He's a 7th Round QB so whatever use we get is great.

bmf31c said:
I was reading the other thread that spawned this one and I have to say, I side with those that think we should bring in a Vet to compete for a spot, be it 2 or 3. I think the Cassel hype machine may be getting a little out of hand. Who knows maybe he'll light the world on fire or he may be the next Bishop.

He's a 7th Round QB so whatever use we get is great.

I think they got a steal because this guy didn't get a chance in college, but you are proven by experience.

I don't think it's possible for a 2nd year NFL quarterback to have less experience than this guy.

That's why we need an experienced backup more than any other team.

I'm, on the fence with this one...they MAY have a real steal here..in fact, I think they definitely do, BUT..being ready to be a backup this quick??? Pretty hard to do..although a backup would bring it to 5 QBs..so who would they cut??? (5 QBs doesn't make it..the last time, in 04 brought a quick ax to Kitna)

I have been gone for a bit, but doesn't anybody else see how silly this idea is? We have a true HOF QB, 3x SB winner, 2x SB MVP & you are saying that Cassell is ready to challenge Brady? Everything we have seen from Cassell has been enjoyable, but how in the world are you making the jump from backup to HOF? I think this idea is just as credible as where you thought the football HOF was.

He was being sarcastic Digger, check out the other thread.

For some odd reason fans always think the young backup QB is the most talented, underrated and overlooked guy on the team... whether its Michael Bishop or Rohan Davey this rule never seems to fail

Only once in recent memory has that actually proven to be the case... and in that situation, he came out of nowhere to unseat the starter

What???

I didn't see the other thread so I will take your word that his post was meant sarcastically. The only other possible explanation is "CRAZY"

Last edited by a moderator:
Though Cassell has looked competent on the field in his brief playing time (moreso than the #1 pick Alex Smith), he's nowhere near ready to be the clear-cut #2 guy. We still need a vet in the QB mix.

If Cassell has the ability to be a starter in the NFL, I think we got him too early. Brady has 6-7 years left, I don't think we can have Cassell 'wait it out' until he's 30 and has had no long-term playing experience (let's hope he never gets it). Cassell could be an insurance policy the next few years, but I'd hope he gets to start on another team and can come back to NE and take over when Brady retires.

richpats said:
Though Cassell has looked competent on the field in his brief playing time (moreso than the #1 pick Alex Smith), he's nowhere near ready to be the clear-cut #2 guy. We still need a vet in the QB mix.

I admit to being a little starry-eyed about Cassel...he's custom-made for irrational exuberance. A complete blank slate, the ultimate unknown, all wrapped up in a package that looks, moves and throws like a big-time QB. Does he actually play like one? Who the heck knows? But it's fun at least to go to training camp and see a QB not named Brady who looks like he belongs on the field. Davy, Kingsbury, Kittner et al were wince-inducing.

Speaking of Kingsbury (and Alex Smith)...as wildly raw as Cassel is, I'm thinking I might take four years of training in a pro-style offense over four years of playing in a TCU-type shotgun offense. Those guys have a lot to unlearn.

Oh, almost forgot...yes, I want another vet QB.

RayClay said:
he is ready to take over for Brady at a moments notice.

Thoughts?
I know you were trying to be over-the-top silly as a way of showing that Cassell isn't a number 2, but in fact you are correct.

The job of any backup is to take over at a moment's notice. It doesn't matter who the backup is. It is the definitin of the job.

Simply put: if Brady went down for the season, and we had Cassell and one of the vet JAG QBs now available, it would Cassell that put on a helmet.

Why? Because he would give us the best chance of winning.

Experience is good, certainly. But it is secondary to talent and ability.

All the goofiness in the world won't change that.

Obviously there would be a drop off if Cassel had to take over for Brady.

The question would be how much drop off and for how long?

A vet to compete? why not but really what does a Vet bring that Cassel
doesn' t have? Talent? Experience?
( not in PATs system and PATs system will not be easy for any Vet unless
they water it down. )
IMO, Cassel will be best backup QB PATs will have this season.
A vet to compete for 3rd QB is certainly a possibility but what vet would
take 3rd QB roster spot? If they find one don't expect much.
Can Troy heave it? :)

I hear Kevin Faulk can play Quarterback...and then we'd have two QBs in the division with fumbling problems.

JR4 said:

I have no doubts that if we needed a guy to kick field goals in an emergency situation or play QB that Troy would be able to perform.

spacecrime said:
Simply put: if Brady went down for the season, and we had Cassell and one of the vet JAG QBs now available, it would Cassell that put on a helmet.

Makes sense to me. The vast majority of backup QBs are risks: either a raw youngster or a shaky vet, pick your poison. Most of the "proven" vets you can pick up at this point have just proven to be mediocre. That's going to be especially true for a team like the Patriots, since the best backup candidates will avoid teams with the strongest starters -- it reduces your chance of playing. Look at how fast Kitna got out of Cincy, for example.

I think the Patriots need a veteran QB simply because I think they need 3 QBs. (Sorry, Bramlet.) But I'd be surprised if anybody available could beat out a promising kid in his second year in the system.

spacecrime said:
I know you were trying to be over-the-top silly as a way of showing that Cassell isn't a number 2, but in fact you are correct.

The job of any backup is to take over at a moment's notice. It doesn't matter who the backup is. It is the definitin of the job.

Why? Because he would give us the best chance of winning.

Experience is good, certainly. But it is secondary to talent and ability.

All the goofiness in the world won't change that.

And if he had a glaring weakness that hadn't been exposed in his limited experience, we'd have a veteran backup instead of Kevin Faulk.

I really don't care who is #2 or #3. It changes game to game. You just can't go with no experience on the bench as some have actually suggested.

And for any that I was too subtle for you can add these.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

JR4 said:
Obviously there would be a drop off if Cassel had to take over for Brady.

The question would be how much drop off and for how long?

A vet to compete? why not but really what does a Vet bring that Cassel
doesn' t have? Talent? Experience?
( not in PATs system and PATs system will not be easy for any Vet unless
they water it down. )
IMO, Cassel will be best backup QB PATs will have this season.
A vet to compete for 3rd QB is certainly a possibility but what vet would
take 3rd QB roster spot? If they find one don't expect much.

How many grains of sand?

How many stars in the sky?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill