Welcome to PatsFans.com

Should the troops support the people, or should the people support the troops?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +579 / 6 / -2

Hmmm....

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/earlywarning/2007/01/the_troops_also_need_to_suppor.html

The Troops Also Need to Support the American People

Editor's Note: More than 900 comments have been posted to this entry -- making the page too long for some computers to download and display quickly and properly. We're therefore allowing no new comments to be added to the page. Please feel free to add any comments you might have on the topic of this entry to later posts by William Arkin on the same topic, including "A Note to My Readers on Supporting the Troops".

-------------

I've been mulling over an NBC Nightly News report from Iraq last Friday in which a number of soldiers expressed frustration with opposition to war in the United States.

I'm sure the soldiers were expressing a majority opinion common amongst the ranks - that's why it is news - and I'm also sure no one in the military leadership or the administration put the soldiers up to expressing their views, nor steered NBC reporter Richard Engel to the story.

I'm all for everyone expressing their opinion, even those who wear the uniform of the United States Army. But I also hope that military commanders took the soldiers aside after the story and explained to them why it wasn't for them to disapprove of the American people.

Through every Abu Ghraib and Haditha, through every rape and murder, the American public has indulged those in uniform, accepting that the incidents were the product of bad apples or even of some administration or command order.

Sure, it is the junior enlisted men who go to jail. But even at anti-war protests, the focus is firmly on the White House and the policy. We don't see very many "baby killer" epithets being thrown around these days, no one in uniform is being spit upon.

So, we pay the soldiers a decent wage, take care of their families, provide them with housing and medical care and vast social support systems and ship obscene amenities into the war zone for them, we support them in every possible way, and their attitude is that we should in addition roll over and play dead, defer to the military and the generals and let them fight their war, and give up our rights and responsibilities to speak up because they are above society?

America needs to ponder what it is we really owe those in uniform. I don't believe America needs a draft though I imagine we'd be having a different discussion if we had one.

2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Any soldier who feels "frustration" over opposition to the occupation of Iraq needs to remenber that they are servants of the United States. While I understand their frustration, they must understand that the only purpose for their existence is to do the will of the American people and defend them from external threats. They are in no way above any American who lives honestly and obeys the law. They want to have a debate, quit the army and call a radio talk show. And that goes for those who are opposed to the war and feel the urge to ***** about their situation in a public venue.

3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

Interesting that as a Libertarian you don't feel they have the same right to express their opinion that you do. Suprising you are usually consistent on these issues.

4. Seymour93

Seymour93 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Yeah it would be completely different.

If we had a draft, support for the war would be around 15%. The troops would be subjected to Vietnam era harassment. The number of people on drugs would skyrocket. Crime would go through the roof. The amount of people receiving benefits from the government would triple. What a horrible idea.

It's not the military's fault the war is unpopular, it's Bush and the neocon's for putting them in a situation where they were doomed for failure.

5. Fixit

Fixit In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +188 / 3 / -2

"Foreign and domestic."

That is all. :D

6. Real World

Ratings:
    +579 / 6 / -2

Did you guys even read the entire article at the link?

7. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +294 / 12 / -10

I think it's easy to understand where many of the troops are coming from. They have a natural bias, since it would be hard to admit that they are fighting an ignoble or wrong war. It would be hard for them to accept that their buddies died and they risked their lives in vain. It would be hard to admit that those they trusted, the CiC, deceived them or needlessly put them in harm's way.

We have put the soldiers in a terrible situation, but now that we've made a bad choice, we have to TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR IT and end the war. Sure, some soldiers will come home depressed, but at least they'll be alive. The troops certainly have as much right to expect us to boost their morale as we have the right to try to save their lives. Unfortunately, we can't do both.

8. Real World

Ratings:
    +579 / 6 / -2

Of course it would because you'd be drafting people like the guy who wrote the column. This guy seems to think the troops should STFU about people like him, Hanoi Jane, and the azzwipes holding this sign:

[​IMG]

9. Real World

Ratings:
    +579 / 6 / -2

Part of their point is that they support the mission, so you should therefore support them. I don't think enough people understand that.

10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +719 / 2 / -9

YOUR RIGHT ON THIS ONE and we would also have an Army full of gang bangers, junkies, pedophiles, cowards, drunks, morons and sniveling liberals.

THAt'S WHY THE RACIST CHARLIE RANGEL "WANTS" THE DRAFT.

AMERICA NOW HAS SOLDIERS THAT WANT TO BE SOLDIERS THEY VOLUNTERED.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  11. Seymour93

Seymour93 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

How many ******* times do you have to post that disgusting picture? We get it already, there's a man in balaclava that thinks he's some ultra-cool Cuban revolutionary.

Do you not believe the military has any stake in public opinion? They are protecting America, home of the American people after all. They're should be mutual respect but ultimately the final decision comes down to the voters. That's the beauty of a democracy.

12. Fixit

Ratings:
    +188 / 3 / -2

A) We have that in the military now. I hate to break it to people, but putting a uniform on someone doesn't make them a hero, or even a good person. The military is just like civilian society, with the same great people, good people, jackasses, and scumbags.

B) Rangel wants the draft to prove the point that politicians would be less likely to wage war as a first resort if their own kids were at risk.

13. Real World

Ratings:
    +579 / 6 / -2

I'll post it as many times as I feel fit to. I don't think enough people know that these retards are plentiful. Some in here still defend Hanoi Jane. The fact that the protest had her speaks volumes of those who supported it.

My 2 cents anyhow.

14. Real World

Ratings:
    +579 / 6 / -2

You'll always have scumbags and good people, no matter what you do. Police departments, fire, the church, political office, the UN, you name it. That's life.

15. Fixit

Ratings:
    +188 / 3 / -2

That's my point.

16. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +304 / 38 / -4

#75 Jersey

Once again, the left is all for free speech, until the speech disagrees with them!!

Imagine being a member of a political party whose sole goal is the defeat of the United States!!!

17. Fixit

Ratings:
    +188 / 3 / -2

:rolleyes:

When did people as a whole stop thinking for themselves? Did they ever start, I wonder?

18. Real World

Ratings:
    +579 / 6 / -2

Wow, as Pedro once said, "where you been man?" :D

19. Real World

Ratings:
    +579 / 6 / -2

I think for myself. You seem to. Hmmm....Wistah, and..... :D

Seriously though, there aren't too many independent thinkers. There are lot's and lot's of sheeple though. :(

20. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +304 / 38 / -4

#75 Jersey

SOrry beeen working alot. Travelling to many different states, yet arresting the same people when I get there.

That and I'm still can not believe that we lost that game!