PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should the superbowl be moved to Saturday?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Should the superbowl be moved to Saturday?

• Yes

Votes: 74 60.7%
  • No

Votes: 48 39.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Should the Superbowl be moved to Saturday?

why? just about every NFL game is played on a Sunday with the exception of Christmas Day, MNF and TNF.

If we win, I call in sick.

if we lose, then it'd be best to have something else to focus on.

For what? What would be the purpose?

Did someone really ask why? Are you really serious? The Super Bowl is about football for two teams and their fans. For everyone else in the country it is an event, a holiday, a party. It is unlike anything else, it makes immense sense to move it to Sunday. I thought it made more sense to expand the season by a couple of games, add an extra bye week and have the game on the Sunday before President's Day, but no luck on that yet.

As nice as it would be to not have to work the next day, the Superbowl should always be on Sunday.

Super Bowl Saturday just doesn't sound as good as Super Bowl Sunday.

Unless they make it a holiday it would never happen

People work on Saturdays ..... Including me and I am self employed.

This is an old question and a legit one, except for one thing - TV ratings. Most everyone stays home on Sunday nights and TV ratings are based upon individual TV sets tuned in. On Saturday, many more people would go out to bars or house parties and scores of people would watch one TV set. Plus, when people are out and about, few can hear or pay attention to the million dollar ads as opposed to when they're home on Sunday night watching and listening. Never going to change.

Did someone really ask why? Are you really serious? The Super Bowl is about football for two teams and their fans. For everyone else in the country it is an event, a holiday, a party. It is unlike anything else, it makes immense sense to move it to Sunday. I thought it made more sense to expand the season by a couple of games, add an extra bye week and have the game on the Sunday before President's Day, but no luck on that yet.

I did ask why and your response doesn't make much sense to me. Aside from the fact that the game can't be moved to Sunday (an obvious mistake on your part) and contrary to popular belief, a great many people work on Saturdays. So, like someone already noted, moving the game to Saturdays makes almost no sense unless they make it a holiday, which will not happen. Far fewer people, unless you work retail, work on Sundays. And that's just one part of the equation. Others have mentioned legit reasons why moving the game would not work well.

Last edited:
No. The superbowl should stay on Sunday, and Monday should be a national holiday. It's the only solution.

This thread makes me sick.

Despite the problem it causes me every year, it should always be on a Sunday. Its tradition, Sunday is football day.

I think i'd lose what little respect I have for Goodell if he tried to move the Superbowl to Saturday.

From the perspective of a fan - or a corporation dealing with hundreds or unfocused, hungover employees on Monday morning - yes, the game should be moved to Saturday. Hey, go ahead and replay the game on Sunday if you want.

From the perspective of the NFL and their business partners - absolutely not. The host cities make a ton of concessions to the NFL (security, free hotel rooms, paying for additional police & traffic salaries, etc.) in exchange for what they believe to be a boost to the local economy. All that economic impact is lost if the game is played on Saturday rather than Sunday. That in turn means the NFL cannot leverage as much comp'd benefits from the host city. Casual fans are more inclined to do something else on a Saturday night than they would on a Sunday night; that would translate to lower ratings, which means networks would pay lower fees for the rights to broadcast the game.

As much as I personally would love to have the game played on Saturday instead of Sunday, there is just no way that it is ever going to happen.

Now if they want to figure out a way to make it happen the day before Washington's Birthday, then that's a possibility - but only if that does not mean they extend the season to do so. Perhaps move that holiday up closer to Lincoln's birthday (Feb 12) than Washington's (Feb 22) since the day off is in theory 'Presidents Day' in honor of both of them, is it not?

As long as Goodell changes the playoffs system to stop allowing the Giants and other lucky or mediocre teams to make the Super Bowl and cause undeserved upsets I don't care when they play.

They can play on a monday and I'd be fine with it. Make it happen Goodell. One good thing you can do before you leave is round-robin playoffs or bust.

Once the Patriots made it to the Super Bowl, I had a few employees immediately put in for a vacation day for the day right after the Super Bowl.

I ask "WHY?"

If the Patriots win, sure, you might have spent all night watching the late night shows which have player interviews. You may have spent the wee hours of the morning watching a replay of the game. Sure, you'll be physically exhausted going into work the next morning, but who cares, YOUR TEAM JUST WON THE SUPER BOWL!!!! I feel bad for those people that are out the day after the Super Bowl because they miss out on all of the office talk.

If the Patriots lose, do you really want all day to yourself to recollect all the little things that went wrong and how things could have been different? You need work to get something else on your mind.

We always used to take the Monday off after Super Bowl. It was a big weekend with friends coming into town for the party. Moving the game to Saturday would really change the dynamic of the entire weekend.

Now that we are older we don't party as late and bigger responsibilities at work means we have to go in. Even if that means "playing hurt".

This post is 100% wrong. Sunday is the best day to have the game. Also having more regular season games and going until President's Day is a bad idea. 16 games is enough.

Before retirement, relished the day after a superbowl win.. all of the Jets and Dolphins fans in their puke green coats, could not look me in the eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back