PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should the Pats re-up Danny Woodhead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
IMO, bringing back the "Eagle-Killer" should be a no-brainer.

The only question is years and $.

I think that he has proven his Faulk-like capabilities. He is definitely useful to us as a situational back.

Agreed......

Guys better than 2012 Sproles

sure why not..he will be cheap anyways

He provides good production for the price he's paid ... sure why not.

Depends on the cost..

He's carved out a very nice niche for himself despite the heavy competition. Very happy he had such a nice day. He's def a fun player to watch so of course I'm all for it :D

Sign the beast ! He is everything a Patriot should be. Unselfish, gives 100% every play, just exactly what we need. I hope we sign him for 5 years.

Yep and Vollmer

Heck yes. Next question

Yes, Yes and Most defly. Never been a ? :)

Absolutely. He's a gamer, no question about that. Anyone who is 5'7 and less than 200 lbs who is willing to tote the rock and try and squeeze between the gaps deserves everything he gets.

And anyone who believe he really is 5'8 or so is deluding themselves. :D

That kid has more heart than almost anyone else we've ever had on this team. The suggestions that he's the new Kevin Faulk aren't that far off at all.

Sign the mini beast!

Brady seems to have a lot of confidence in him as well.

He has helpt us many times this year one third and long so, yeah sign the little man!

I don't think this is as obvious as it seems. Going by a pure numbers game, I think you have to pick 2 of Woodhead, Vereen, and Demps. It wouldn't shock me to see four TEs on the opening day roster next year, and that's not including whoever end up playing FB, whether it be Larsen, Fiammetta (who reportedly needed a year off but intends to attempt to play next season), or someone else. Those roster spots need to come from somewhere, and five RBs seems like a waste when you only use one at a time (and occasionally none) and with Ridley as a pretty obvious lead guy. Most games this year, it's been a rotation of two or three RBs in any given game, not all four. That makes me think that five is overkill.

Now, if Vereen doesn't improve at all over the rest of this season, then the solution is pretty simple. Cut him, sign Woodhead, go with Ridley, Bolden, Woodhead, and Demps. Similar if they decide Demps can't play, but that's probably unlikely considering they'd have to resign Woodhead before they'll see Demps on the practice field.

But cutting Vereen in favor of Woodhead isn't as obvious as it might seem to come. Against the Jets, it was just about an even split of snaps between Vereen and Woodhead until Woodhead played and Vereen didn't on the last two drives. In the Rams game, the snap counts were basically equal. I don't know about this game, but I think the snaps favored Woodhead quite a bit. Either way, it's clear that Vereen has at least earned some of the snaps that would have been Woodhead's a year ago. We just don't know if part time third down back is Vereen's ceiling, or if he can continue to grow as a player. He's definitely got the body to be more of a well-rounded player than Woodhead, even if he hasn't shown that yet.

Ideally, they'd be able to sign Woodhead for a deal with not much guaranteed and then let everybody fight it out. Make Vereen show he can step up into the full time third down back role and make Demps show he's an upgrade at kick returner, and have Woodhead competing as well. But I don't know if there will be a market for Woodhead to sign somewhere where he won't have to compete for a job, which would make a lot more sense for him financially. The Pats are probably going to have to commit to either Woodhead or Vereen during the free agency period, meaning what we see from Vereen the rest of the season is very important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes