PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should the Pats look at DE Reggie Hayward?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
The Jags released him an hour ago and this veteran has had injury issues the past few years but when healthy he was considered such a leader on the defense that the Jags named him a captain after a short period on the team.

This player has played 3-4,4-3 and even on some 5-3 schemes in Jax at OLB and DE and the kind of versatility BB likes in a player - He is 31 I believe and should still have some juice in the tank.

His career has far from great numbers but is a veteran presence with maybe some value

I would think he would be asking for just a tad above the vet minimum at this stage and he might be an asset on the defense if he can learn it quickly.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Re: Should the Pats look at OLB/DE Reggie Hayward?

The Jags released him an hour ago and this veteran has had injury issues the past few years but when healthy he was considered such a leader on the defense that the Jags named him a captain after a short period on the team.

This player has played 3-4,4-3 and even on some 5-3 schemes in Jax at OLB and DE and the kind of versatility BB likes in a player - He is 31 I believe and should still have some juice in the tank.

I would think he would be asking for just a tad above the vet minimum at this stage and he might be an asset on the defense if he can learn it quickly.

What do you think?

I thought he was strictly a 43 DE????????

I thought he was strictly a 43 DE????????

From what I read on the Jags forum he has played several positions on the team,while primarily he is a 4-3 he has played other positions,when called upon...at least from what I have read about him,I am not sure what he had done as a Bronco.

Last edited:

There are some major leg injury issues there to worry about.

Last edited:

There are some major leg injury issues there to worry about.

Yeah,I worry a little about that Achilles injury

From what I read on the Jags forum he has played several positions on the team,while primarily he is a 4-3 he has played other positions,when called upon...at least from what I have read about him,I am not sure what he had done as a Bronco.

Seems like he would be competition fo Burgess as an OLB in name only that plays DE in sub packages.
Heyward has always struck me as more of an all-around DL than particularly a good pass rusher, so I don't know he would be a great fit.
Nothing to lose by letting him battle it out with Burgess in camp, but I'd imagine he would look for a 43 team where there is a better chance of making the squad and getting playing time.

I always thought he was a beast when I saw him play.

Its more than worth a gamble.

If an inferior team with bigger pass-rush problems than ours decided he's not worth vet minimum, why would we even bother?

The Jags had enough trouble with their pass rush as it is. I don't think we should be taking on any of their cast-offs, especially not ones with the injury issues that Hayward has.

Ehh an injury bug...i wouldn't mind though if the did bring him in

Please......step away from the NFL Transaction Ticker.........no more UDFA's,RFA's,FA's and draft choices.

BB has about 6 weeks left to evaluate last years' rookie class,this years' bounty....no more.There are already 80+ players headed for training camp,not even including those military guys,who are currently camped out at BB's secret Area 51 base.

Hayward is too slow/stiff to play 3-4 OLB and not stout enough to play 3-4 DE. Strictly a 4-3 DE. Not a fit. If you're looking for pass-rush/OLB help, Bobby McCray (released by the Saints about a month ago) makes a little more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down