PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should the Pats Attempt to Sign Jimmy Graham to an Offer Sheet?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Should the Pats Attempt to Sign Jimmy Graham to an Offer Sheet?

• Yes

Votes: 21 38.2%
  • No

Votes: 34 61.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, if we give up 2first rounders I would rather it a true #1 WR. Great point! BTW both NFL docs and his own cleared Finley to play. NFL docs wouldn't let him play if he would get injured again. I think he would surpass expectations catching from Brady and Brady would really exploit his talent because he is a luxury with his size and talent that Brady rarely gets to throw to. Another prize instead of a blockbuster trade for a wr is find one with elite talent underperforming on a bad team/system. Anticipating things like that is as important as finding gems in the draft. I have hopes for KT,Dobson,Boyce but Denarius Moore is an absolute DYNAMO! THIS Dude is mega talented and explosive. He just needs a qb and some coaching,good system and work. He has Sammy Watkins raw tools but there's not a clown in Oakland capable of coaching him. I bet we could get him for a #3.With Brady and our coaching and hard work in place this guy could put up 1500 yards as a patriot. Worst case is he is another young wr who could blossom for us. Moore with Kenbrell Thompkins and Dobson would be formidable young talent to blossom. I like Dobson an KT a lot but I don't think they are as Dynamic as Moore. Watching his highlights leaves you thinking wow I hope a playoff contender doesn't trade for him that has solid coaching/system in place.

Last edited:
It's been well documented that I'm not a huge fan of the "let's go out trade a first and a third, and sign X wide receiver to a mega-deal" due to the fact that we don't normally see it work too well in the era of the salary cap.

That said, I'm just wondering aloud if giving up 2 firsts (or something in the ballpark) and a mega deal for a guy like C.Johnson, B.Marshall, or L.Fitzgerald may not allow us to take better advantage than making the move for a TE who cannot block worth a damn. After all, we're talking about a receiving-only option anyway, and one who can be limited and taken out of the gameplan more than an elite WR.

I just think it's a moot point SUP, none of those guys are or will be available, Johnson is the only one and that's an almost nonexistent proposition. If they can get Keller in they should be in decent shape on the unit for the season and they can address it further next offseason. There's only so much a team can do in any offseason and to some degree they are a slave to the opportunities available to them, so while they still have needs they also could find many of them answered this season. Unless Keller or Finley are signed and return to form TE will probably not be one of the questions answered, but WR and OL could be. And in truth that more than anythoing else is what intrigues me about this coming season, this team clearly has the potential and opportunity to be great, but also has questions across the board that wwill need to be answered this season, and since I am in PFK mode i will set about to outlining them (and that's right Ken, you have officially become a verb, congratulations)

QB-Mallett V. Garrapolo - What is to become of Ryan Mallett? Does he stick as the back up or does Garrapolo beat him out. Either way it's his last season in NE.

RB-Ridley Vereen - Both are in contract years and need really good seasons and it's unlikely either will command break the bank money to keep around. I expect their best seasons out of both and think White sticks and Bolden is definitely a bubble player who I would bet won't make it.

WR-Dobson, Amendola, Boyce, Thompkins - How many, if any, take a big step forward? If none they are screwed, if 3 of them have better seasons, which imo is the likelihood, they should be much better offensively, and TE can't be worse than last year unless gronk goes out again for a long long time.

OL-Stork, Halapio, Fleming _ I doubt any start day one but if they can get a new OG and C by year's end then we should see some real improvement, if he missed on these picks it really hurts and they need to go back to the well next draft.

DL-Easely, Buchanon, Smith - Was the risk worth the reward with Easely, does Buchanon take the next step, and can Will Smith provide the kind of veteran depth presence Andre carter provided? We'll see? easely is the obvious big piece, if they were right about him the other considerations become minimal as they will have added a big time playmaker.

LB-Hightower and Collins - Both need the next big step and if they take it their LB corps is really good. I believe in these guys because they have all the intangibles along with the drive and football sense.

DB- The Revis and McCourty deals, what kind of development do Ryan, Dennard, and harmon show, I believe they will get the deals done with both Revis and McCourty and I like the depth at DB and think they are a big hitter away from a total secondary.

I am really optimistic about this team and see big progress and positive answers to most of these questions, but they are still real questions imo, and the direction they take going forward will be dictated by the answers to them.

Last edited:
I think Halapio would make a great center and Fleming A great guard. Vereen I believe plays 16 games and has a pro bowl like season. If Ridley even matched his best year that would be great.I would take Denarius Moore as fast as Andre Johnson. Moore,KT,Dobson,Boyce is some explosive young talent. Somebody would emerge as a top 10-15 playmaker in the NFL,perhaps a couple of them do.

Here's a question for everyone here....

If the Saints would drop the price to just A first round pick, would the Pats make that deal?

I think at that point, hell yes I would! A Gronk/Graham combo would be downright scary....

If the Saints would drop the price to just A first round pick, would the Pats make that deal?

I think at that point, hell yes I would! A Gronk/Graham combo would be downright scary....

I would make that deal.. but the magic of Hernandez and Gronk came about in part because Hernandez was also a very decent blocker.

And while I like Graham, I wonder who else becomes available to a trade once we start waving around first round picks.

Last edited:
Keep Revis and sign Graham to an offer sheet? The question isn't can we, it's why shouldn't we. 2 #32's and a Gronk-type contract. Go get him.

The 2 late 1st round picks don't bother me. A good many people would have given up a 1st for Austin Seferian-Jenkins, or a 1st and another draft pick to trade up for Eric Ebron if he had slipped a bit. If Graham could be signed for a Gronk-like contract, structured in a way to allow the Pats room to keep the other key guys, I'd be all for it.
If there's any one position on the team that we're all foaming at the mouth for--it's certainly TE.

The issue of health is likely the problem for both Finely and Keller, or at least it would seem.

I'd still like to see a trade for Rob Housler. He is young, athletic, and could have a Jordan Cameron kind of breakout in our offense, IMO. The cost (both financially and in term of trade cost) would be far less than signing Graham, and he is younger and healthier than Finley or Keller.

The 2 late 1st round picks don't bother me. A good many people would have given up a 1st for Austin Seferian-Jenkins, or a 1st and another draft pick to trade up for Eric Ebron if he had slipped a bit. If Graham could be signed for a Gronk-like contract, structured in a way to allow the Pats room to keep the other key guys, I'd be all for it.

I'd still like to see a trade for Rob Housler. He is young, athletic, and could have a Jordan Cameron kind of breakout in our offense, IMO. The cost (both financially and in term of trade cost) would be far less than signing Graham, and he is younger and healthier than Finley or Keller.

Agree on Housler. Gronk took a team friendly deal, albeit for really good money, but I don't think Graham would even be satisfied with being the top paid TE in football, I think he wants considerably more than that. If it were just top TE money I think the Saints would have signed him by now, and it's his view that he is a really a top WR and wants that kind of money that is blocking it from getting done. The Saints may be willing to trade him given how much he wants but I don't think any intelligent organization is going to pay him what he wants, so he will have to go to one of the desperate dumbf*ck organizations. Say hello to the Raiders Jimmy, have fun losing for the rest of your career.

They should offer the Cards a 2nd for Housler and see if that gets them anywhere, if that doesn't work they can always trade Mallett to Houston for Andre Johnson...................

I think Halapio would make a great center and Fleming A great guard. Vereen I believe plays 16 games and has a pro bowl like season. If Ridley even matched his best year that would be great.I would take Denarius Moore as fast as Andre Johnson. Moore,KT,Dobson,Boyce is some explosive young talent. Somebody would emerge as a top 10-15 playmaker in the NFL,perhaps a couple of them do.

I don't think Flemings build is right for OG, I think he will be a swing back-up tackle, I see Halapio at OG and Stork winning the Center job in short order.

Actually IMO I think Fleming is great for guard. The new age pro bowl guard is a converted strong college Tackle. Carl Nicks when injury free was the best. Osemele in Baltimore impressed his rookie season. Actually its good for your guards to have experience against edge rushers. In certain blitzes they may have to block an athletic DE. Fleming can play tackle but could struggle in the NFL. But he has plenty of athleticism for guard. I would rather him play a position he could be great at than mediocre. He plays with very. Good power at nearly 6'5 330 lbs. His college coaches considered moving him to power guard position due to some athletic limitations but he knew how to play and did fine at RT. But he could struggle there in the NFL. I would prefer a player playing his best position. Kaczur belonged at guard in the NFL and it was a primary reason we lost a super bowl when he was exposed at RT. Many scouts before the draft felt Halapio would make a fine center due to ability to take on a NT. Stork I hope plays well but is lacking power element. Many fine college centers struggled in NFL due to lacking power like Peter Konz. Its one of Wendall's issues that he gets flat out bullied. They seem to be looking for some power at center and RG after last seasons center/RG got manhandled and Fleming and Halapio should change that as both are known for power and not getting beat.

BTW I liked Housler as well a lot. It would take a lot to trade for him. Jermichael Finley was cleared by NFL docs who wouldn't let him play if he were injury prone again. IMHO he is damn near as talented as Graham and better pass catcher in some ways. Not to mention a far better blocker and wouldn't cost any draft picks. His 6'5 250 lb long armed athletic frame is capable of double digit TDs.

So when the Patriots sign a released player it is Belichick screwing Coughlin, but when the Vikings sign a released player you don't know why there's an issue?

Agenda much?
You're obviously not following the thread terribly well, so let me explain:

Someone wrote "I don't see Belichick as the type of guy that would screw a contemporary in Sean Payton for Graham's services right now." I responded to that comment with the notion that Belichick would stab his own momma in the back to improve the team. While that comment is obviously facetious, I do not for an instant believe Belichick would choose not to offer Graham a contract because he is afraid of hurting Sean Payton's feelings.

My personal take on the matter is that if a team waives a player, they have no right feeling screwed if some other team claims that player. And if a team franchises a player, they have no right feeling screwed if some other team makes a huge offer.

My take is Belichick didn't screw Coughlin and Childress didn't screw Belichick. All they did was claim a player off waivers, which they are 100% within their rights to do.

In the future, please try to do a better job keeping up with the thread before accusing others of having an agenda. TIA.

Probably not because a bigger hang up is the fact that Graham wants a huge payday, probably much more than Belichick would be willing to spend on a guy who would be the team's #2 tight end.

You're obviously not following the thread terribly well, so let me explain:

Someone wrote "I don't see Belichick as the type of guy that would screw a contemporary in Sean Payton for Graham's services right now." I responded to that comment with the notion that Belichick would stab his own momma in the back to improve the team. While that comment is obviously facetious, I do not for an instant believe Belichick would choose not to offer Graham a contract because he is afraid of hurting Sean Payton's feelings.

My personal take on the matter is that if a team waives a player, they have no right feeling screwed if some other team claims that player. And if a team franchises a player, they have no right feeling screwed if some other team makes a huge offer.

My take is Belichick didn't screw Coughlin and Childress didn't screw Belichick. All they did was claim a player off waivers, which they are 100% within their rights to do.

In the future, please try to do a better job keeping up with the thread before accusing others of having an agenda. TIA.

You clearly said that Belichick screwed Coughlin by signing a released player and then in the next breath said that Childress did nothing wrong by signing a player that Belichick released, the issue is yours, i was dead on in pointing it out and pretending you didn't say that won't change that.

I wish I knew what the heck you were talking about here. IIRC, the Patriots cut him outright and the Vikes picked him up as a UFA. Not sure exactly how that is effing with Belichick.

Belichick would stab his momma in the back if he thought it would help the Patriots. He had no problem screwing Coughlin with that tight end that the Giants tried to disable a couple years ago.

Belichick "screwed Coughlin," but Childress didn't "screw " Belichick. You said it, not me.

You clearly said that Belichick screwed Coughlin by signing a released player and then in the next breath said that Childress did nothing wrong by signing a player that Belichick released, the issue is yours, i was dead on in pointing it out and pretending you didn't say that won't change that.
You're not looking at the context in which the original remark was made. The worst I can be accused of is not being clear in my sarcasm.

You're obviously looking for a pissing match, as per your usual routine. You may rest assured that I do not believe Belichick screwed the Giants or Childress screwed the Patriots when they claimed players off waivers.

Belichick "screwed Coughlin," but Childress didn't "screw " Belichick. You said it, not me.
Yes and I also said he would stab his mother in the back if it would improve the team. One would think that comment would make it clear I was being facetious.

I guess I have to state this for the record, lest I be accused of calling Belichick a murderer: I do not believe Bill Belichick would kill a family member in order to help the team.

I haven't had 5 dislikes in a thread ever! We're at 4 SB39, Gimme 5!!!
Yes and I also said he would stab his mother in the back if it would improve the team. One would think that comment would make it clear I was being facetious.

I guess I have to state this for the record, lest I be accused of calling Belichick a murderer: I do not believe Bill Belichick would kill a family member in order to help the team.
Your original point was
Yes of course, but we can't afford him
Undid the disagree. We can shuffle money and afford him. Want this dude. He's been spurned and now has an attitude. Perfect Patriot. Dangle the words rings and legacy in negotiations.

Last edited:
No hard feelings SB39. You gave me 4 straight "dislikes". Gimme a 5 man. I just want Jimmy Graham on our team. Your making me feel like this guy.-

Last edited:
No hard feelings SB39. You gave me 4 straight "dislikes". Gimme a 5 man. I just want Jimmy Graham on our team. Your making me feel like this guy.-

Wow. You totally slid a knife into my back while my head was turned. I guess that's how you roll. No fault no foul. Whatever man. I'm straight up. You can disagree with me. I can handle it. I'm not even trying to disrespect you. I just would love it if the Pats stole Jimmy Graham from NO. Nothing personal. JMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back