Should the Patriots get Favre?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't even know what to say

:rofl:
:rolleyes:
:confused:
:eek:

Not only should we spent 12 mil on a backup qb. I think we should bring in a vet 3rd string qb incase favre goes down. maybe only spend about 8 mil on the 3rd string

I know, it seems unthinkable! The Patriots already have the best QB in the league, hands down! So why would a retired legend even be a consideration for this team?
Uh oh. This may be Exhibit A of Why You Should Not Post at 3 AM.

Simple. Favre is faced with the unpleasant situatin of having to sort through teams that might be interested, bearing in mind that he almost certainly can't remain in his current division. If he does, it's in GB---as a backup.
He's already said he's not going back to GB as a backup.

Let me ask you, who would you rather back up, the best QB in the league, or your own unproven previous back up?
WWBBD? Well, he doesn't build his roster like it's fantasy football, the way Dan Snyder or Al Davis does. Every roster position has a specific role and expectation. Is Brett Favre really going to embrace running the scout team?

Recommended summer reading: Patriot Reign by Michael Holley.

Remember, also, that this would allow Favre to throw bombs to Randy Moss, which is a major factor in his retirement decision.
Whoa, wait a second - when did Favre replace Brady on the depth chart?
And as far as throwing bombs, will they be like the one in OT in the NFCCG last year? Don't forget that Favre has thrown one hundred - 100! - interceptions in the last five regular seasons. In addition, he has thrown 16 INT in the playoffs this decade, which is more than the number of TD's he's thrown in those games.

Also, Tom Brady has not yet showed his ankle is 100%. They haven't done a whole helluva lot to minimize the hits on him. If you're the Pats, do you bank on a rookie QB, or gamble on a legend?
Mike Reiss made a comment last month about Brady rolling out of the pocket and threw a beautiful bomb to one of the rookies in OTA's this off-season, showing no ill effects of the ankle. Or did you get suckered in by that initial AP report (when Brady sarcastically commented that "I'm still slow, I still can't jump, I still don't lift very much"} that resulted in the very incorrect headlines that Brady was still hurt?

As far as minimizing the hits on Brady, do you really think that BB has done nothing this off season other than attend a few Celtics games? I'll go out on a limb here and say that he not only realizes that teams are going to try to copy what the Giants did, but also has come up with more than one plan to offset that plan of attack.

Well, at least nobody here will ever be accused of being openminded. lol.
But, aside from hating on me, the only reasonable objections seem to be:

1. salary
2. Favre wants a starting gig
3. the distraction factor
4. the improbability of it

To that, I say:
1. He's NOT coming back for money.
Teams aren't going to be eager to pay him $12 mil, but there's no way I see him agreeing to play for the vet minimum either.

2. No matter where he lands, it will first be as a backup. Further, it will be months - not days - before he develops timing + chemistry or knows the playbook.
If it is going to take months to learn the playbook and develop chemistry, why would a team bring him in now? In addition, Favre has said that he's not interested in being a backup.

3. Didn't we hear the same thing from every local media outlet concerning Moss coming?
Yes. The Pats met with Moss first, just as they do every player. They were satisfied, and made the trade. The reality of Moss (or Dillon, or Bryan Cox, etc.) is far different than the perception that the media paints of many players, including Moss.

4. Don't the Pats generally explore the health and availability of most any player that they think might help or hold value? So why, then, rule this one out for them?
You're absolutely correct here. At this point in time the Packers retain Favre's rights. To bring him in the Pats would (a) need to surrender draft pick(s) or player(s) in a trade, (b) absorb his salary, and (c) be convinced Favre would accept his role as backup/scout team QB. And before you assume Favre would restructure his contract, keep in mind that remaining $39 million still has to be applied somewhere. If it's restructured and he retires again, the future cap hit would not be pretty.

If the Packers release him, then his current salary is a moot point, but I don't see that happening because that would mean that Green Bay could watch him not only sign with division rival Minnesota, but they also get no compensation for him.

If I'm Ted Thompson, I trade him to Miami or Kansas City or somebody like that for a conditional pick. The condition would be 'send me draft pick x if he reports', and 'if you trade him to another team, you send me a first round pick' in order to avoid that team from trading him to the Vikings.

Sure, it's easy to say "it ain't happening," and probably be right. Any fool can do that.

It ain't happening. Favre wants to start (and be the focus of attention), strike one. He still wants to be paid, strike two. He appears to be very uncomfortable in the cold weather the last few years, strike three.

Just my opinion, but those are some of the many reasons why this ain't happening.

You are all thinking about this the wrong way, they would bring him in, just not to be the starting QB. It's never to late to change things up a bit, so why not convert him to a WR? Its been done before, can you imagine the threat of having Moss on one side, Farve on the other with Welker in the slot? I can see it now: Brady fakes the hand off to Maroney, throws the lateral to Farve who then throws the lateral back to Brady, back to Farve, who heaves a bomb to Moss in the end zone. It would be unstoppable!

:singing::singing::singing:

You are all thinking about this the wrong way, they would bring him in, just not to be the starting QB. It's never to late to change things up a bit, so why not convert him to a WR? Its been done before, can you imagine the threat of having Moss on one side, Farve on the other with Welker in the slot? I can see it now: Brady fakes the hand off to Maroney, throws the lateral to Farve who then throws the lateral back to Brady, back to Farve, who heaves a bomb to Moss in the end zone. It would be unstoppable!

:singing::singing::singing:

You are a complete idiot. Farve wants to be a starter - and there's no way he's starting at WR.

Now, while I'm sure Belichick would make no promises, I see Favre offering some serious competition at punter. Just imagine - he trots in on 4th and long - shocks all in the football world by actually THROWING A PASS going for it on 4th down instead of punting!!!

:rocker:

If you want to be respected around here PLEASE contribute with a serious scenario like mine... don't waste our time with stupid trick plays.

No.

(Ten characters)

While Favre would be a great asset for the team to have as a backup quarterback, the chances of this happening probably hover at just above 0%. Between the salary he'd need to be paid, even as a backup, and the line in the sand that's been drawn by the Green Bay 'brain trust', this is just not going to happen.

Please tell me you're just saying that to be contrarian and because you're a Favre ball washer who is annoyed at the Favre bashers... He couldn't run this offense any better than Bledsoe could if his life depended on it.

I wouldn't even want Brett within 200 yards of any developmental QB who might make this roster. Took Holmgren 2-3 seasons to beat the Favre out of Hasselback after he backed Favre up in GB, and he still has acid flashbacks. That dinosaur gunslinger mentality is as contageous as an STD.

If Brett does in fact play this season it will be for a team with no bonefide starter on the roster and no real plan on offense beyond trying to move the ball any way they can. Farve won't be learining anyone's offense, he'll be teaching some poor team to accommodate him on the fly while he wings it. And when they fail him his disappointment with them will show.

Amen. THe fanboy fascination with "just wing it" Favre brings back very unpleasant memories of Drew pitching the ball away in critical losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back