PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should the Patriots ever run a Wildcat offense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The dophins have gotten significantly better yards per attempt using the Wildcat than with normal run plans. I think it would be especially useful when you need to gain very short yardage because with the direct snap you can eliminate the QB and have a extra blocker.

Teams that struggle to score need to do that sort of thing. As long as the Pats have Brady, I like their chances running their regular offense with him taking the snaps. No need to wildcat, the offense is just fine and doesn't need to be fixed.

Very True, the wildcat is for teams that really don't trust their QB. It looks like this team fixed some of its offensive problems from last year and the old saying is If it aint broke don't fix it.

The dophins have gotten significantly better yards per attempt using the Wildcat than with normal run plans. I think it would be especially useful when you need to gain very short yardage because with the direct snap you can eliminate the QB and have a extra blocker.

But if you have an excellent QB and receivers, you can spread out and soften the run defense in those situations.

If I'm the defense, would I rather single-cover Moss against an imitation QB, or double-cover him vs. Brady? It's a pretty close call. Having an imitation QB in vs. Brady doesn't really improve the balance of forces for rushing attempts.

I just don't see it unless Brady's health is an issue.

Maybe if he was playing through some serious injuries and the Pats didn't want to use him on plays where a QB sneak was called for. But in that case why not just send in Hoyer and run a standard play?

Do not see it either, first of all we want Brady to control the O... and then to neutralize Moss, Welker and our whole host of characters does not seem in the best interest of this team..

Cringe at the thought of Brady lining up as a WR....

I think they should experiment with it with Edelman taking the snaps and Brady off the field. Some sort of sub package with sprint-out option passes where he can look downfield on a short progression or just run. It's another wrinkle to the entire package that makes us a little more unpredictable.

I agree. If we're going to run any wildcat variant, it should be with Edelman and Brady off the field. I'd rather keep Brady and our conventional offense in place though. I think it was Kraft who said he couldn't imagine doing anything that takes the ball out of his HOF QB's hands.

But any little wrinkle to make the other team prepare for it isn't a bad thing. I'd have preferred the Pats to run a few stupid wildcat plays last week, burrow into the line for no gain, and have the Jets thinking about it for this week.

Alternatively, with Edelman in the game, we could run something like the Broncos did last year (why did the media call it wild horses? So stupid...). And if the defense re-sets and looks favourable, bring Brady back under center.

I think he also did it in 03. It was the game where Patten ran, caught and threw for a TD, IIRC. The ball was snapped directly to the RB, and Brady took off left and up, and caught a pass for a 1st down.

That was in 2001, and it was a different game than the Patten game.

Faulk took a direct snap and ran to the right, then tossed it back across the field to Brady for a 20+ yard gain. It was the last regular season game at Foxboro Stadium against Miami.

The Patten game was in Indy earlier in the season.

Concur. The wildcat is typically a gimmick for teams that can't score.

HOF QB + HOF WR + #83 = no need for the wildcat.

IMHO.

Totally agree....... Pats have no need for that HS gimmick crap as a production tool.

...... on the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me if BB had a few plays desiged with Edelman lined up under center just to d!ck with the opponents. I would expect it to be whipped out against an opponent that likely talked a little smack the week before or that BB otherwise despises.

He has a total history of doing stuff like this. Look at the Brady --> Moss --> Brady --> Gaffney play against Pittsburgh. That was a totally "choke on this" from Belichick to that trash-talking CB that they installed the week of the game. That, among many reasons, is part of the reason I love our coach so much..... Well, that and the three rings of course ;)

Ummmmmm, Expect Brady to be safely on the sidelines, giggling with the rest or the team as they watch the Defense have a serious WTF??? moment as Welker 2.0 lines up in shotgun.....

EDIT- Oops, I see that this was already mentioned. Sorry, just read the first couple pages.

Last edited:
That was in 2001, and it was a different game than the Patten game.

Faulk took a direct snap and ran to the right, then tossed it back across the field to Brady for a 20+ yard gain. It was the last regular season game at Foxboro Stadium against Miami.

The Patten game was in Indy earlier in the season.

Excellent, and thank you. At my age things tend to muddle a bit here and there. I remember the play with Brady lining up on the left WR position, and catching the pass. he also went out of bounds to keep from being hit. Smart kid, that Brady! :cool:

If you were to poll the defensive coaches and players of the teams playing the Pats in the next 15 games you will get a 100% unanimous "yes" from all of them that the Pats should run the wildcat and take the ball out of Tom Brady's hands.

But if you have an excellent QB and receivers, you can spread out and soften the run defense in those situations.

If I'm the defense, would I rather single-cover Moss against an imitation QB, or double-cover him vs. Brady? It's a pretty close call. Having an imitation QB in vs. Brady doesn't really improve the balance of forces for rushing attempts.

How much can you really spread the defense out in the end zone?

I don't think its necessary this year. Would have been better to try it during the Matt Cassel year.

Kevin Faulk ran the wildcat in the colts game that year

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye