PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should the Patriots attempt to convert Jake Bequette to tight end?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think while we are at it we should convert Jarvis Green to a linebacker

I think while we are at it we should convert Jarvis Green to a linebacker
Considering that Graham, Gates, and Thomas are all converted basketball players, and Amaro who was highly touted by fans on this board was a DE before converting to TE in 2012; I am really surprised that so many people are responding so sarcastically to the concept of converting Bequette.

The Patriots actually converted Alex Silvestro to TE back in 2012 and James Develin to FB in 2012-13 both were significantly lesser athletes than Bequette.

I am not saying it would work out but shooting it down with some smug response is dumb.

Did he hurt your feelings?
No not at all, I just think he and others should be more open-minded. Players make position changes in the NFL successfully every year, Bequette has the athletic metrics to potentially be a good NFL TE if he had solid hands and was able to put it together.

I appreciate your concern though.

The Patriots actually converted Alex Silvestro to TE back in 2012 and James Develin to FB in 2012-13 both were significantly lesser athletes than Bequette.

I am not saying it would work out but shooting it down with some smug response is dumb.

Oh, did they? How many catches did Alex Silvestro have? How much contribution did he have, period? The guy was a nothing. Same with Jake Bequette. A total zero, who will be cut very soon. This thread is a joke.

We are not taking anything personally. We just strongly disagree with your analysis. IMHO, there is NO ONE other Chandler Jones that Belichick thinks has more talent at DE (raw or developed) than Ninkovich, and certainly no one with a higher ceiling.

As has been said, Ninkovich is this team's Bruschi.

I get what everybody is saying about being assignment sound believe me I do. But Buchanan and Collins are our Aldon Smiths,Justin Houston's,Con Millers,Rob Quinns. They have similar prototype burst/agility/bend/closing speed of the forementioned superstar/budding superstar passrushers.Now I would bet none of those guys play as heads up as Ninkovich. So if Justin Houston or Mingo were a patriot they would be on the bench behind the intelligence of Ninkovich? Maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about but I would bet their game changing pass rushing/ impact plays would help us win more games than Ninkovich. Remember we would not be excited over the season Collins will have this season if not for injuries. He was just another player we believed wasn't ready to play and belonged on the bench in favor of the more experienced spikes. If not for injury we would not have seen what his raw talent could do. We had him labeled similar to how you have labeled Buchanan right now. As not ready and an inferior option to put on the field. Buchanan has raw talent comparable to Collins/Mingo/Miller/Houston. If Ninkovich were hurt,who is to say Buchanan wouldn't step on the field and make a passrush impact and all around game changing impact. Bill as with many coaches have preferred veterans. How many times has a steady veteran been injured for the young more athletic talent, that coaching staff had labeled not ready to come in and light it up? Does anybody else think Buchanan is capable of double digit sacks and all around impact passrusher?

And I don't think Ninko is as good as Bruschi. Bruschi when younger was a phenom. He chased down an athletic QB while running on from his knees and caught him for the sack.

No not at all, I just think he and others should be more open-minded. Players make position changes in the NFL successfully every year, Bequette has the athletic metrics to potentially be a good NFL TE if he had solid hands and was able to put it together.

I appreciate your concern though.

I always wanted to see if Ben Watson could be an impact passrush 3-4 OLB

I always wanted to see if Ben Watson could be an impact passrush 3-4 OLB

He was too soft to take advantage of his enormous physical talent at TE. I can't imagine him playing defense.

Considering that Graham, Gates, and Thomas are all converted basketball players, and Amaro who was highly touted by fans on this board was a DE before converting to TE in 2012; I am really surprised that so many people are responding so sarcastically to the concept of converting Bequette.

I think players that are dynamic and motivated sometimes get caught behind others or just aren't cut out to succeed at a position. I would put Tebow in this category.

Do I see Bequette being blocked by too mant established players at hi position, despite showing a lot of spark? Just the opposite. That is why I don't think that player is begging for the team to put in coaching resources to find him an alternative spot.

I think players that are dynamic and motivated sometimes get caught behind others or just aren't cut out to succeed at a position. I would put Tebow in this category.

Do I see Bequette being blocked by too mant established players at hi position, despite showing a lot of spark? Just the opposite. That is why I don't think that player is begging for the team to put in coaching resources to find him an alternative spot.
I just wonder if TE is a better fit for Bequette, the question being his hands, the problem that I feel Bequette has, as a DE is he has very short arms and is not able to fight off the blocks of longer OTs. Outside of that Bequette is an impressive athlete, and if he was not working hard at practice I have to believe he would have been gone by now. One primary difference between Tebow and Bequette is that Tebow was not tall enough or heavy enough to play an in line TE position, he would have only fit as a Joker-TE. Bequette at 6’5” 274lbs actually has great size for a TE.

Like I have said before I do not know if it will work out, I just feel he has the physical attributes to possibly be a successful TE.

He was too soft to take advantage of his enormous physical talent at TE. I can't imagine him playing defense.

In this case, "too soft" defined as "exhibiting a sense of self protection and preservation only slightly less so than the average human being with a strong sense of self respect."

Oh, did they? How many catches did Alex Silvestro have? How much contribution did he have, period? The guy was a nothing. Same with Jake Bequette. A total zero, who will be cut very soon. This thread is a joke.
There is no reason to get so upset about it, if you do not find value in this thread do not participate in it. You are overlooking that Silvestro was part of the Ravens 2012 SB winning team as a TE, and that James Develin who played DE at Brown has successfully converted to FB/TE for us.

In this case, "too soft" defined as "exhibiting a sense of self protection and preservation only slightly less so than the average human being with a strong sense of self respect."

It is football. I consider someone built like Hercules getting outwrestled for the ball in the end zone by a 185 CB to be too soft.

Last edited:
I just wonder if TE is a better fit for Bequette, the question being his hands, the problem that I feel Bequette has, as a DE is he has very short arms and is not able to fight off the blocks of longer OTs. Outside of that Bequette is an impressive athlete, and if he was not working hard at practice I have to believe he would have been gone by now. One primary difference between Tebow and Bequette is that Tebow was not tall enough or heavy enough to play an in line TE position, he would have only fit as a Joker-TE. Bequette at 6’5” 274lbs actually has great size for a TE.

Like I have said before I do not know if it will work out, I just feel he has the physical attributes to possibly be a successful TE.

The NFL isn't the Men's Warehouse. Not everyone gets a suit to fit them. I get your point. It would be valid for someone with enough drive and ambition to learn a completely different position and force the team to give him snaps in a short amount of time, since said team is acquiring other players, who already know ho to and have played that position and also are motivated to do anything to make a team.

What is it about Bequette that makes you think he has an overabundance of drive like that?

Players that are drafted fairly high should just see the field imho. If they suck, we as fans deserve to see this for ourselves and then we can crucify them later. If they had let him play just two games with significant snaps, all of this intrigue and anger would go away.

Seriously, how can high draft picks ride the bench when garbage ass Guyton was on the field for years? This is a bigger mystery than the meaning of life or where the hell Carmen San diego is lol.

Definitely -Not A Good Idea-.

In a league where one win or lose counts as much as it does in the NFL, I'm not up for BB putting someone on the field that he doesn't think worthy just to let us 'see for ourselves'.

That's what preseason is for. He's gotten his snaps there. Unfortunately, he hasn't earned any in games that count.

That's my point, Buchanan gets 2 sacks in 3 games as a rookie. Including giving D Brickashaw Ferguson more than he could handle. They had the RB help him out and Buchanan still beat them for a sack. That's encouraging yet they found an excuse to bench him and not even give him any snaps at all. Not even passrush downs. Over run containment mistake to never let him play?? Happened before where very talented players were benched and held back because they showed talent it could cause fans to uproar for that player to get more snaps or even start if their impact plays kept up.Coaches wanted the starter to keep his job and didn't want controversy for anybody else to start yet. I know of several times that's happened. And was later even revealed.

Yes, it was absolutely that. BB and staff have given every indication over the years that they value suppressing controversy and making sure starters maintain their jobs no matter what over winning games! I mean, it's not as though they have the best won lost record over the past decade or anything.
</sarcasm>

That is a serious delusion you've got going there.

The NFL isn't the Men's Warehouse. Not everyone gets a suit to fit them. I get your point. It would be valid for someone with enough drive and ambition to learn a completely different position and force the team to give him snaps in a short amount of time, since said team is acquiring other players, who already know ho to and have played that position and also are motivated to do anything to make a team.

What is it about Bequette that makes you think he has an overabundance of drive like that?
Bequette was a high school TE and recruited to Arkansas as both a TE and a DE, so he would not have to learn a completely different position. He has played the position, and rated as the 93rd prospect in the country doing so.

I am not sure if Bequette can do it, and I see nothing in particular about Bequette that makes me think he is anymore driven than the other players on the team. I have never seen a player in the Belichick era selected that early in the NFL draft and spend 2 seasons on the 53-man roster from week 1 – 16, yet play as little as Bequette has. I consider Belichick a bright man so I have to believe there is some method to his madness, is that TE, it seems unlikely but Bequette has had practice squad eligibility in past 2 season and Belichick has not even attempted to move him there.

Huh?

Bequette has NFL talent otherwise he wouldn't have been drafted in the third round in 2012. If you were drafted by a MLB team I would say you could give it a shot.
I could be wrong, but I think he was putting his age in a combine number-like format. Fourty and two months is my guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots