Should the NFL expand the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
By: John Morgan

Right now twelve teams make the NFL playoffs, with four teams getting the first week off. Is this format in the best interest of the teams its fans, and its business partners? How about a fourteen or sixteen team playoff?...

No. This isn't Hockey. it's football, leave it be.

It would make the regular season worthless, what a horrible idea.

14 teams will be ok I think

It's perfect the way it is. When you run a 'sudden death' format like NFL where 1 bad game by a top team can lead to elimination, you HAVE to reward the top teams with byes.

No! A thousand times no!

Yeah I just think the NFL has everything perfect as is. 16 game schedule and 4 play off rounds. The more games they add the less relevant each game becomes.. and its hard enough to manage roster injuries over a 16 game schedule and 3 or 4 play off games.

They really should just leave it as is. Its perfect and unique to the other sports.

There are already too many teams in the playoffs.

Now that i have given it some more thought, as well as a couple more painkillers, I have become more conscious and empathetic to the sadness all those players , as well as their parents, must feel when they aren't allowed into the tournament. Better to change it to a 32 team round robin, stop keeping score, and give them all really nice ribbons and some ice cream when they are over.

2e668a0d9406.gif

No and hell no.

Also no and hell no to 18 game season

By: John Morgan

Right now twelve teams make the NFL playoffs, with four teams getting the first week off. Is this format in the best interest of the teams its fans, and its business partners? How about a fourteen or sixteen team playoff?...

i gotta say i hate this all inclusion soccer mom bull****

i say take away wildcards, make winning the division mean something more than it does now.

and while they're at it, kill about 10 teams from every major sport to increase the overall pool of talent

kill the dh rule!

bob costas is the man!

Is there a way to hop in the DeLorean and make the playoffs be expanded three years ago? I really would have liked to have seen how the 2008 Pats would have done.

More importantly between '08 and last year there would have been a very high probability that the Pats would have won at least one playoff game - which in turn means we wouldn't have to hear that stupid (and inaccurate) 'haven't won a playoff game since the sideline filming' crap constantly repeated by the haters.

Aside from that I like the idea. It would make being first in your conference more significant; only one team gets a bye. It doesn't lengthen the post-season at all, and it helps squash any potential talk of expanding the regular season. It adds another game to each of the two days of the first round - which frankly to me is usually kind of meh with so many of the top teams not playing in it.

I believe the NFL is the only one of the four major sports leagues with a playoff system perfect the way it is. Do not want change.

Now that i have given it some more thought, as well as a couple more painkillers, I have become more conscious and empathetic to the sadness all those players , as well as their parents, must feel when they aren't allowed into the tournament. Better to change it to a 32 team round robin, stop keeping score, and give them all really nice ribbons and some ice cream when they are over.

A . . . FREAKIN' . . . . MEN!

Please stop screwing with the schedules by adding more games to the regular season and post season please! It's getting bad enough with the NFL turning into the Area League and heading towards two hands touch tackling. I'm pretty sure we're going to start seeing some roughing the running back penalties in the near future :mad:

No !!!! Absolutely NO !!!:eek:

It would make the regular season worthless, what a horrible idea.
How exactly would one more playoff game today and one more playoff game tomorrow suddenly make the regular season worthless?

It's perfect the way it is. When you run a 'sudden death' format like NFL where 1 bad game by a top team can lead to elimination, you HAVE to reward the top teams with byes.
Top teams can still get eliminated with a bad game against an inferior opponent. College basketball runs something called March Madness where every game is an elimination game and that seems to be quite popular. At least the chances of 'one and done' are less likely when playing against a seven seed as opposed to a four seed.

Yeah I just think the NFL has everything perfect as is. 16 game schedule and 4 play off rounds. The more games they add the less relevant each game becomes.. and its hard enough to manage roster injuries over a 16 game schedule and 3 or 4 play off games.

They really should just leave it as is. Its perfect and unique to the other sports.
There would still be a 16 game schedule and four playoff rounds, so I'm not following your logic.

I believe the NFL is the only one of the four major sports leagues with a playoff system perfect the way it is. Do not want change.
What makes two teams with byes per conference perfect as opposed to something else, like only the best team in the conference getting a bye? What makes a weekend of football without any of the four best teams playing perfect? What makes being able to watch two games today rather than three games today perfect?

A . . . FREAKIN' . . . . MEN!

Please stop screwing with the schedules by adding more games to the regular season and post season please! It's getting bad enough with the NFL turning into the Area League and heading towards two hands touch tackling. I'm pretty sure we're going to start seeing some roughing the running back penalties in the near future :mad:
The article did not suggest adding more regular season games, so I don't know what that has to do with anything. And the rules about player safety and the amount of passing in today's game are an entirely different subject that has nothing to do with the idea either. It's like saying if we went back to only two teams or four teams making the playoffs then the NFL wouldn't be such a pass-happy league; obviously that's not the case.

Personally I like the idea but obviously I'm in the minority.

NO. don't dilute the brand.

NO!
Let's not make the regular season meaningless like hockey and basketball. There are already 8-8 teams in the playoffs in the current format, increasing the number of teams is just foolish.

Why does it seem that every patsfan article is written by an idiot? 1 STAR!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back