PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should the NFL adopt college football overtime rules?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Should the NFL adopt college football overtime rules?

• Yes

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Yes, with some important modifications (explain)

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • No

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • No. Keep to NFL rules, and modify it in its current form

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tie games suck...NFL should consider adopting a college football format for deciding tied games

The only thing worse than what they have now, is the college system.

Nope. There is nothing wrong with the current OT rules.
There is a lot wrong with the current ot rules, but the college system is worse.

My thought is to go back to the old sudden death rules, but with one very important change: You don't reset at the start of overtime in a tie game anymore. You treat the end of the 4th quarter like the end of the 1st or 3rd. Whoever has the ball when the clock hits zero, simply picks up where they left off at the start of overtime.

Basically, treat overtime like an extension of the game, not an entirely new period. That's the spirit of it anyway right? Not to leave it to a coin flip, but to say, "60 minutes wasn't enough to decide, so let's just keep playing until someone wins."

Actually, that game was terrible on both sides. .

Granted I didn't watch the whole game but for the parts that I did watch I got the sense that both defenses were playing extremely well (and that it just wasn't the offenses playing poorly). In an 'video game style' league it was actually refreshing to see an old fashioned pitching duel.

1 tie a year >>>>>>>>>> games that end 28-28 in regulation but 49-43 at the end.

I've told this idea to other people and they never like it, but what the hell, here it is.

Play an extra quarter. The team that's ahead after 15 minutes, wins the game. If it's still tied, play on. If it's second down at the of period, it's still second down and they keep playing in a sudden death format.

The problem is that it could go on for a long time. So in the regular season, I'd keep the rules the same. But playoff games are too important for the team who loses a coin toss to never have a possession.

But playoff games are too important for the team who loses a coin toss to never have a possession.

Well they mostly fixed that with the team who possesses the ball first needing to get a TD. If you allow a TD you lose...I think that's reasonable.

Here's a crazy question.....if there was a successful onside kick to start OT, would the kicking team/recovering team need a TD or FG to win?

Here's a crazy question.....if there was a successful onside kick to start OT, would the kicking team/recovering team need a TD or FG to win?

I'm pretty sure they would only need a FG. Because technically the other team had a chance at possession but failed to recover the ball.

I think it's fine the way it is..if your defense can't stop a TD, you deserve to lose. The cheap FGs were the problem on the first possession.

The current one is fine. But I think there could be less time. Probably won't happen as that means less revenue.

Why not eliminate the OTHER and settle for the Tie? That surely would create a different strategy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back