Votes: 29 43.3%
  • No, he's not good enough

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm confused, who's Tavon Wilson?

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose he can't be too much worse than Gregory. Gregory isn't that bad in coverage though is he? Obviously he's not a very good tackler. He got that nice pick in the preseason vs the seagles and that one vs the ravens. I know interceptions aren't everything but he's gotten around the ball a little bit.

It appears that Gregory isn't playing this weekend, so it looks like Wilson is starting by default.

I've not overly analysed Tavon's play yet but what I have seen on the all 22 is that on short-intermediate patterns he generally makes good decisions. When the route patterns trend to the deeper side his decision making isn't as good and he seems to hesitate at times. I don't think he's ready yet to be an every down starter, but he is on his way.

It appears that Gregory isn't playing this weekend, so it looks like Wilson is starting by default.

Really?

Anyways, if Chung continues to take bad angles to the ball and play bad coverage, I would love to see Tavon split snaps w. Chung.

I love the idea that we have three credible safeties on the roster. What a luxury. And I'll say what when he was on the field in preseason, Ebner didn't looked out of place, either.

Just throwing the question out there. Wilson has looked good in camp and has looked good in limited snaps so far. He has shown that he can be a ballhawk who forces some turnovers. I know that he's still a ROOKIE. But doesn't BB usually go with the more effective player? It's only 4 games into his first season but he already has 2 ints and 3 passes defensed. That would make him by the numbers, one of the Pats most effective DBs.

Is there anything or any reason holding Wilson back from being a starter for the Pats? Goodness knows they need all the help with coverage that they can get in today's pass happy NFL. Weigh in with your opinion!

So he will likely start Sunday with Gregory out. This should be a good measuring stick for him.

IMO overall I'd like to see him rotated in more. I'd like to see Chung playing the $ position in sub packages because I think Gregory and Wilson are better in coverage.

Yep, looks like we'll get the answer to the thread title in a couple days

Really?

Anyways, if Chung continues to take bad angles to the ball and play bad coverage, I would love to see Tavon split snaps w. Chung.

Understanding that we don't have "assigned" safety positions here, but wouldn't it be Ebner who would potentially split snaps with Chung instead of Wilson?

I was under the impression that Chung and Ebner were more SS types, while Gregory and Wilson were more FS types.

Is this incorrect thinking, or are you stating that Wilson has the potential to play either assignment?

Understanding that we don't have "assigned" safety positions here, but wouldn't it be Ebner who would potentially split snaps with Chung instead of Wilson?

I was under the impression that Chung and Ebner were more SS types, while Gregory and Wilson were more FS types.

Is this incorrect thinking, or are you stating that Wilson has the potential to play either assignment?

Wilson, early on his Illinois career, played the inside slot star position. He also played SS, FS and outside CB in his final season w. Illinois.

Wilson can play both. Another reason why I initially liked the pick after I did the first two videos on him.

This sunday should give you a good idea.

Pretty much the biggest test he could get this early in his career. Gregory hasnt looked very good, but Wilson is still a rookie and probably has a bit to learn (even though his 'limited' role is still a -relatively- big one).

If he looks DECENT against Manning, i think he should get the start, or at least see a big jump in play time. I dont expect him to look fantastic, hes still young and he had a few miscues against fitzpatrick while filling in for gregory (nothing huge iirc), but if he can be adequate i think that speaks volumes given that most QBs arent on the same level as manning...old and banged up as he may be (of who we play besides manning, Schaub and Tannehill are probably the best...alex smith may be in there)

Here is a breakdown of his "snaps" according to Reiss..

Tavon Wilson's 2012 playing time
at Bills: 34 of 71
at Ravens: 12 of 73
vs. Cardinals: 18 of 64
at Titans: 42 of 65

Here is a breakdown of his "snaps" according to Reiss..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tavon Wilson's 2012 playing time
at Bills: 34 of 71
at Ravens: 12 of 73
vs. Cardinals: 18 of 64
at Titans: 42 of 65

Interesting breakdown. Also of note, the Pats won both games where Wilson played 34 snaps or more. Just noting, not saying there's a conclusive correlation yet.

Well if the gregory news is true, then we will see Wilson get his first test as a starter against Peyton Manning. Can't get more 'big game' than that! Good luck kid! Make us proud!

After week 2 I predicted that Wilson would be starting by the bye week. Even once Gregory is healthy again, I think it will be Wilson's job to lose.

Yes. He's looked good to me, or at least as good as a 2nd round rookie who was apparently taken too high could look. :)

2 INT, 2 FR, 3 PD, through 4 games. Not a starter. He's around the ball a lot. He also seems like a pretty good tackler. Certainly can't be worse than Gregory. Watching him get embarrassed on that Donald Jones TD was awful.

What's interesting as well is that Wilson has looked as good or better than Mark Barron so far.

What's interesting as well is that Wilson has looked as good or better than Mark Barron so far.
Just an impression, but he has struck me as being Belichickian. I think he's made for this coach and vice versa, a marriage of great convenience and utility.

But Bill knows when to throw him out there.

Last edited:
Wilson, early on his Illinois career, played the inside slot star position. He also played SS, FS and outside CB in his final season w. Illinois.

Wilson can play both. Another reason why I initially liked the pick after I did the first two videos on him.

I figured that you were the guy to ask, as your big 10 knowledge is impressive.

As for the videos, I really think that you've carved a niche out here as being the best that there is on the boards.

Statistically if you put aside tackles and sacks he has already outplayed every safety on last year's team. Not really saying much but he has only played a 1/4 of the games and as the third safety.

Last edited:
Well, Gregory's injured, so there you have it. Will Gregory get the starting job back once he's healthy? Who knows, but wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't. Tavon has looked good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back