Welcome to PatsFans.com

Should public assistance recipients be required to pass a urine test?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by cupofjoe1962, Sep 14, 2009.

1. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +33 / 12 / -2

A guy who grew up in my neighborhood receives a check for $1700 a month from SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance).

He is a Heroin addict on the methadone clinic who has no other disability
    than being an addict.

He lives in his parents cellar and uses the $1700, to find ways around
    methadone to get high. There are a few drugs that allow you to still get
    high while being on methadone.

Today I got this chain letter and I wanted to pass it along.....

"Like most folks in this country, I have a job. I work, they pay me. I pay my taxes and the government distributes my taxes as it sees fit. In order to get that paycheck in my case, I am required to pass a random urine test (with which I have no problem). What I do have a problem with is the distribution of my taxes to people who don't have to pass a urine test.

So, here is my Question: Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them? Please understand, I have no problem with helping people get back on their feet. I do, on the other hand, have a problem with helping someone sitting on their ass - doing drugs, while I work. . . .

Can you imagine how much money each state would save if people had to pass a urine test to get a public assistance check? I guess we could title that program, 'Urine or You're Out'.
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +196 / 7 / -23

This discussion has been started before, one issue right off, do you know the cost of this???.. do you have any understanding of things like due process and chain of custody??? You have to hire people to watch people pee in bottles.. It sounds good in chain emails, but the practice is a lot difficult.. it would necessitate more layers of Gov't.. something we probably do not want to do right now.

OTOH if you are a heroin addict, you should only receive a minimal payment and should go to a third party, should be required to be in treatment.. $1700.00 a month is very high, and am skeptical.. the average SSDI is less than $1,000.00.. I receive Social Security after working my whole life and come close to, but not up this amount.
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  3. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

They should all be drug and stupidity tested.....
  4. Mogamedogz

Mogamedogz Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Passing a urine test is as easy as making toast.

Now... Break out the hair folical testing, then we are talking. I dont care if it creates another layer of government (though im not sure why the divison assigned to stopping drugs now wouldnt do. God knows they arnt doing much else).
  5. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Just out of curiosity, what do you think the guy should do? Can he afford to go to a clinic?
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +196 / 7 / -23

The problem with hair follical testing, it detects presence, not history.. which could have occured 6 months ago.. without regard, it would add another layer of gov't..
  7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +304 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

This is one of the problems with "drug addiction is a disease".

Forget drug testing, he's not disabled so he shouldn't be getting anything from this source.
  8. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

So what should he do?
  9. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +304 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

I don't have a clue, I was never stupid enough to put myself in a position to be able to relate. But he didn't "catch" or "get" this, he did it to himself.

If you want to have us pay for a one time program to kick it, great, but after that I guess he can just waste his life away. I don't really care what he should do.
  10. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

So your answer is simply that you don't care. Got it.
  11. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +304 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

I believe I said to give him one taxpayer paid legitimate chance.
  12. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

I'm not sure I understand what this means. You're saying that one person should pay him to get clean? What if you can't find enough people to cover that cost? He should just die?
  13. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +304 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

I meant a one time taxpayer funded (not a single person), just the normal "welfare costs" drug treatment program.
  14. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

That would be more expensive than his current plan. The right has been refusing drug treatment programs for years.
  15. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +304 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

At 1,700 a month we're looking at $200K over 10 years. I've never priced a drug treatment stay but I doubt it's that high. If it is, obama can include this one time treatment in his plan as it's paying for itself anyway :rolleyes:
  16. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

He's not going to last 10 years. Duh.
  17. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +370 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

Good grief, doesn't anyone think before posting?

You titled your thread "Should Public Assistance Recipients....." and then in the very first sentence of your post you inform us that the guy in question is on SSDI - which, as everyone should know, is NOT public assistance.

SSDI is for people who've worked - people who've paid into the system - probably people just like yourself.

To qualify for benefits, you must first have worked in jobs covered by Social Security. Then you must have a medical condition that meets Social Security's definition of disability. In general, we pay monthly cash benefits to people who are unable to work for a year or more because of a disability.

In addition to meeting our definition of disability, you must have worked long enough--and recently enough--under Social Security to qualify for disability benefits.

Social Security work credits are based on your total yearly wages or self-employment income. You can earn up to four credits each year.

What You Need To Know When You Get Social Security Disability Benefits

The amount of money you receive will be based upon the amount of time you've worked and the amount of money you've paid into the system.

That's rough....but since I get the idea that you feel being an addict doesn't qualify as a "medical disability" you've best take it up with the AMA. Drug addiction, just like alcoholism, is considered a disease and as such gets treated like any other disease.

You can, of course, lobby to get the diagnosis unrecognized - but you're gonna have an awful lot of health-insurance paying people angry with you. Especially those who drink too much themselves and get a ticket for DWI and spend a weekend or so in a Rehab facility in order to keep their driver's license. Or those who have a teenaged kid who falls in with the wrong crowd and needs a short stint in a hospital to detox and long term psych treatment afterwards.

Good luck with that one.

So here is my question in return. You want drug addicts on welfare or methadone maintained former workers who are collecting disability payments to take a drug test before getting benefits. Fine. Tell me this: Isn't methadone a drug? Isn't the methadone going to show up on the drug test thereby effectively masking or negating any other sort of barbituate or heroin type drug?

What good is it going to do to screen a known drug user for drugs? Fer crying out loud, if he was off the drugs not only could he pass the test to collect his payment but he'd no longer be incapable of working due to drug addiction.

Jeezus, doesn't anybody think about things anymore???
  18. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +304 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Which also explains the "savings" in the obama plan but that's another story.

As I said, I am fine with paying for one try at treatment. After that, we can't afford to be shelling out $1,700 a month for this crap.
  19. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Nice deflection.

You stand against the right's position on that, and you are still left with letting them die if they fail. What happened to the "sanctity" of life?
  20. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +613 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey