PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should players fall because of a bad Pro Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_T26

Banned
Reaction score
People watch these players play for 2 to 3 years against competition in big games, they see someone like LenDale White be nothing but productive scoring 53 td's in his career. then all of a sudden he walks on to an empty field against no one and all of a sudden he's not talented anymore or should drop. this is why players like Boldin and Suggs fall because scouts payto much attention to the workout numbers then the game tape.

R_T26 said:
People watch these players play for 2 to 3 years against competition in big games, they see someone like LenDale White be nothing but productive scoring 53 td's in his career. then all of a sudden he walks on to an empty field against no one and all of a sudden he's not talented anymore or should drop. this is why players like Boldin and Suggs fall because scouts payto much attention to the workout numbers then the game tape.
Oh, he's still talented. The problem isn't his talent. It's his not bothering to get into shape (high body weight, low strength). Can you say "Maurice Clarette?"

If they show up 10+ pounds overweight, absolutely they should. Would you want to put millions of dollars into a player who hits the buffet circuit instead of the gym to get ready for his first NFL season ?

If you're talking about a player who's shown great speed on the field for four years then runs a slow 40 at his pro day, I agree you should discount it. But in the case of White, it absolutely matters because the pro day failings precisely confirm the prior question marks about the player: weight problems, off-and-on work ethic, durability concerns, "who cares" attitude. (Similarly, Chad Greenway's poor lifting reps reinforce concerns scouts already had about his functional strength.)

patchick said:
If you're talking about a player who's shown great speed on the field for four years then runs a slow 40 at his pro day, I agree you should discount it. But in the case of White, it absolutely matters because the pro day failings precisely confirm the prior question marks about the player: weight problems, off-and-on work ethic, durability concerns, "who cares" attitude. (Similarly, Chad Greenway's poor lifting reps reinforce concerns scouts already had about his functional strength.)
I think you're dead on. Especially regarding White.The draft is arguably the most important event of his life, I think i'd be making sure i was in the best shape possible. 40 times not so much, but strength and conditioning defineately. I kind of liked White myself, but now, not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back