PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should Pats Petition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been people who questioned on what basis an appeal can be made.

I offered one; conforming to precedent for the punishments meted out for other perhaps more serious offenses.

There is another one that you all are familiar with. "Time off for good behavior" is the term that is applied, I believe.

When Goodell handed down his ruling, he didn't know what the reaction was going to be. The Patriots could have fought him. They didn't have to hand over the evidence without a fight. They could have gone to Court, in these litigious days. Heck, some Jerk tried to sue his way into the Presidency, after he lost an election.

The Patriots merely accepted the punishment. The helped reinforce and didn't fight the authority of the new Commissioner. That was an important post facto action. They simply accepted the punishment, cooperated, and moved on.

Personally I think the Patriots should appeal, and the NFL should decide that they still need to punished so they still lose their 1st round pick but are given the 1st pick in the 2nd round for mental anguish. ;).

What they should do is go to the league and ask for the same punishment that the Jets received for breaking the exact same rule.

God bless you, sir, for saying that!

There have been people who questioned on what basis an appeal can be made.

I offered one; conforming to precedent for the punishments meted out for other perhaps more serious offenses.

There is another one that you all are familiar with. "Time off for good behavior" is the term that is applied, I believe.

When Goodell handed down his ruling, he didn't know what the reaction was going to be. The Patriots could have fought him. They didn't have to hand over the evidence without a fight. They could have gone to Court, in these litigious days. Heck, some Jerk tried to sue his way into the Presidency, after he lost an election.

The Patriots merely accepted the punishment. The helped reinforce and didn't fight the authority of the new Commissioner. That was an important post facto action. They simply accepted the punishment, cooperated, and moved on.
I don't understand what you're saying. Who could they appeal to? Any appeal would just end up back in front of Goodell. They couldn't sue the league based on "precedents for punishments" if the contractual framework of the NFL clearly allowed the given punishment. And "time off for good behavior" isn't a legal principle, so I'm confused by what appeal even means here.

Last edited:
spygate is the past and we should let it go. I don't think that it's going to hurt pats in 08.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes