Welcome to PatsFans.com

Should only taxpayers get to vote on tax issues?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Turd Furguson, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

In my town we had approx 8 referendum questions regarding the use of tax dollars to go towards something, usually roads, higher ed, the zoo and stuff like that.

Most of those questions were approved but my question is, is it fair for someone who pays ZERO taxes (Income or property) to get to vote on something like that when it doesnt affect them at all?

Its like if I got to vote in another state's election no?
  2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +434 / 5 / -2

Well it does affect them. Those zero's stand to benefit from the implementation of some of those laws. :D

Anyhow, it's too bad more people do not understand how taxes breakdown in this country.
  3. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah, so they APPROVE everything regardless of cost. I would too if I didnt have to pay for it.
  4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I had a coworker who claimed that paying taxes was unconstitutional. I sat there once for about 4 hours listening to him explain how he and members of his family had never paid taxes. Not only did this cause havoc for payroll in my company, it causes havoc in our communities. He was riding on my freeway, for free! the irony.

2 months later his house was robbed of his enetrtainment system, computers, and other valuables. I asked him if he called the police. He said yes.

shame on him.

If you don't pay taxes, don't use the parks, public roads, fire departmennt, don't call the cops. and to answer your question from my ill perspective :

DON'T VOTE ON TAX ISSUES!
  5. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It just irks me when I see the same questions every couple of years for Transportation bonds and the like. Where did the money go the FIRST time I approved this bond?

If you keep getting it, I guess you keep coming back to the trough for more.
  6. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +436 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Basically the same question, should all taxpayers vote to raise taxes on one subset of themselves (namely the rich). There's actually no difference. Which is an interesting argument for a flat tax rate for all taxpayers. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
  7. taltos

taltos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I would agree that on local items that are funded through property taxes, only property tax payers should be allowed to vote. Renters and other folks who do not pay property taxes only use local resources and pay nothing toward their funding. Specific items that I am talking about would be 2 1/2 overrides and local bond issues. Obviously most of these folks would pick up their share of the non-local funding through state and federal income tax payments.
  8. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +161 / 7 / -13

The flat tax if implimented would change a lot of attitudes towards what goverment needs to do and what it should do. But if you have no skin in the game....why not have the goverment do all sorts of stuff.

There is no such thing as a free lunch.