PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should NFL remove players from HOF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I don't think it makes much sense to have a morality committee determining who gets bounced out of the Hall. The Hall honors what the players did on the field. Once they have retired, that can't change.

No, they aren't, if parents are actually parenting. No person whom you don't know closely should ever be held up as a role model for your children. Ever. The only thing that a child should emulate about an athlete is how they play the game...or an author how well they tell a story...or an actor how well they perform...or a cop how well they uphold the law.

I have zero problems with the degenerates in the respective Halls of Fame, because they earned it by how they played. It's not the Hall of Famously Great Human Beings.

Nothing personal at all, but every time I hear someone pull the "What about the children?" card, I want to throw up. Whoever's worried about the example that someone like Lawrence-effing-Taylor is setting for their children isn't doing anything resembling their job.

This. This x 1000

Betting on your own team to win vs. throwing a World Series.

Yeah, those are the same.

There's one RULE in baseball above all others -- thou shalt not bet on baseball. It is on the wall of every clubhouse in the sport.

And it has nothing to do with WHO you bet on. First, you might make decisions that are bad for your team in the LONG run to win the game tonight, because the baseball season is a marathon, not a sprint.

It also directly affects the integrity of the sport. Players would be at risk of getting in hock to bookies and others who could lean on you to toss a game later.

There's literally a thousand good reasons for the rule, and not a single reason going the other way.

Rose knew the rules. He ignored it. His punishment is simple and obvious, and sends an absolutely clear message to every other player. Do this and you are completely out of baseball for life, with no possibility of parole or reprieve.

Same for Shoeless Joe.

They knew "LT" history when he was inducted. Sadly the voters don't seem to care about a players off the field problems. IF convicted he should be removed from the HOF. Those are guys kids look up to.

It's the parents' job to provide role models, and to direct their kids to other role models. "Look at Tom Brady, not Ben Roethlisberger". How hard is it, honestly?

The Hall of Fame is for professional accomplishments. It's not judging a player's worthiness as a human being. There's a later panel for that (for those who are religious).

I am amazed at how it seems many think it is ok to continue to honor
people who have done really bad crimes.

I was thinking about this. Remember the Movie "The Ten Commandments"

Here was Moses a great military leader and conquer. He builds a city and
great monuments. He is given great honor. People call his name from
the balconies and the streets. He is enshrined and his name
is etched in stone along with the great Pharaoh of that time

Then he commits murder and speaks words of rebellion. His punishment
is banishment and HIS NAME IS REMOVED from all stone.
Further his name is never to be spoken again.

Harsh? maybe. But I like it. So it should be for all heroes of today.
Maybe if for high crimes committed by our heroes the result was disgrace,
banishment and the loss of recognition for a life of achievement
then heroes may think twice before acting is such shameful ways.
Just maybe.

But we of today's world are more civilized. We give our heroes
special status. They or at least their place of recognition among
the greats are protected from retribution for hideous crimes they
might commit. How sad.

I was thinking about this. Remember the Movie "The Ten Commandments"

Here was Moses a great military leader and conquer. He builds a city and
great monuments. He is given great honor. People call his name from
the balconies and the streets. He is enshrined and his name
is etched in stone along with the great Pharaoh of that time

Then he commits murder and speaks words of rebellion. His punishment
is banishment and HIS NAME IS REMOVED from all stone.
Further his name is never to be spoken again.

Harsh? maybe. But I like it. So it should be for all heroes of today.
Maybe if for high crimes committed by our heroes the result was disgrace,
banishment and the loss of recognition for a life of achievement
then heroes may think twice before acting is such shameful ways.
Just maybe.

might commit. How sad.

jesusfacepalm_2.jpg

No because it's to recognize what they did on the field not off it.

I grew up watching LT when I lived in NY and I worshipped him, when I read that he was arrested for rape it was like being punched in the stomach but even knowing what an utter disappointment he is as a person I still wouldnt want to have grown up without watching him.

Umm, what? This is the same guy who was playing on coke.

He's been a douche his entire life.

Should "Time" magazine purge it's files of the issue where it named Hitler as "Man of the Year"?

Bad analogy. That Time article was highly critical of Hitler. It's not always a positive distinction being named Time's "Man of the Year."

might commit. How sad.

You identified the likely disconnect with your opinion and many others - you characterize those in the Hall as "heroes," not athletes or players. Many would characterize Pat Tillman as a "hero," but he is not in the Hall. His conduct as an individual, not as a player, earned him that status.

If you choose to call the Hall of Fame the Hall of Heroes, that is your subjective label attached to those players. They did not get in based on hero status, they made it in on statistics and championships. If you call that heroic, I would suggest you are setting the bar pretty low for that status.

You identified the likely disconnect with your opinion and many others - you characterize those in the Hall as "heroes," not athletes or players. Many would characterize Pat Tillman as a "hero," but he is not in the Hall. His conduct as an individual, not as a player, earned him that status.

If you choose to call the Hall of Fame the Hall of Heroes, that is your subjective label attached to those players. They did not get in based on hero status, they made it in on statistics and championships. If you call that heroic, I would suggest you are setting the bar pretty low for that status.

one definition of hero:
A person noted for special achievement in a particular field.
( heroes of medicine for example)

I think the men in the NFL HOF fit that definition.
Btw, i don't believe stats alone get one into the NFL HOF.

No, they aren't, if parents are actually parenting. No person whom you don't know closely should ever be held up as a role model for your children. Ever. The only thing that a child should emulate about an athlete is how they play the game...or an author how well they tell a story...or an actor how well they perform...or a cop how well they uphold the law.

I have zero problems with the degenerates in the respective Halls of Fame, because they earned it by how they played. It's not the Hall of Famously Great Human Beings.

Nothing personal at all, but every time I hear someone pull the "What about the children?" card, I want to throw up. Whoever's worried about the example that someone like Lawrence-effing-Taylor is setting for their children isn't doing anything resembling their job.

:yeahthat: Great post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back