PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should McFadden be the Pats #1 pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
He is 6-2 205 and he runs like a gazelle.
He has 37 career TDs in 3 years and has rushed for over 1,000 yards in each season!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=170928

With Maroney a little injury prone, Dillon only a shortgap measure, Faulk a bit long in the tooth, and Neal just not all that good, does McFadden make sense as a #1 pick for the Pats?

Ok let's see the mandatory youtube vids now.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1FCfZoPGEFA

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XcssslTgHBQ

http://youtube.com/watch?v=APEFj8Glx7Q

Until I saw the last clip, I did not know that McFadden could also pass for touchdowns if needed! Think of the ways BB could use that weapon for trick plays. :) As if our offense wasn't sick enough huh?

Last edited:
He ran for 323 yards against a ranked opponent last night, breaking an SEC record (and it was the SEC, not the Big 10 or some other creampuff conference). Houston Nutt, who was on the Oklahoma St. staff when Barry Sanders was there, compared him to Sanders. If he's there, do I take him, assuming there's no one better available at a position of need like linebacker? Absolutely. Maroney/McFadden would be an incredible two-headed monster.

I'd love to get him but, unfortunately, I think the Jets could reap the fruits of McFadden for this god awful season they're having.

Absolutely not. At the NFL level, the difference between a RB drafted in the top 5 and an RB drafted in the second round (between a good OL) is negligible, except for the price tag and salary cap percentage.

I don't think McFadden will be available when the Pats pick and I'm not so sure that's necessarily a bad thing. There are some damn fine running backs in this upcoming class and I think the Patriots could use a runner like Oregon's Jonathan Stewart, Michigan's Mke Hart, Illinois' Rashard Mendenhall or hell you could just stick with that one guy; what's his name? Oh yeah, Laurence Maroney isn't bad either.

I don't think McFadden will be available when the Pats pick and I'm not so sure that's necessarily a bad thing. There are some damn fine running backs in this upcoming class and I think the Patriots could use a runner like Oregon's Jonathan Stewart, Michigan's Mke Hart, Illinois' Rashard Mendenhall or hell you could just stick with that one guy; what's his name? Oh yeah, Laurence Maroney isn't bad either.

If we draft DMAC, I wonder if we'd trade Maroney. I though McFadden was the best player in the country last year. I think he's going to be spectacular because he can make you miss and is tough. Peterson just doesn't have his moves and I believe more susceptible to injury in the long run. Though injuries are a fluke usually. Sorry, to hear about Ronnie Brown Aqua. He played a great game against PSU in 02 Cap 1 Bowl. I've kept an eye on him since. I think he's a great all-around back. Run,catch and block. Hope he gets healthy.

He ran for 323 yards against a ranked opponent last night, breaking an SEC record (and it was the SEC, not the Big 10 or some other creampuff conference). Houston Nutt, who was on the Oklahoma St. staff when Barry Sanders was there, compared him to Sanders. If he's there, do I take him, assuming there's no one better available at a position of need like linebacker? Absolutely. Maroney/McFadden would be an incredible two-headed monster.

I like the two headed monster idea as well.
That way they can both stay fresh throughout the season and feed of each other.
Look how well duos are doing in the NFL these days like Fred Taylor and MDJ, Deuce McAllister and Reggie Bush, Chester Taylor and Adrian Peterson, etc.
There's no such thing as too much talent on offense. And at RB you can do even more.

DMac and Maroney would be an absolute terror. The Pats are likely to break the all time NFL scoring record this season, but add McFadden to the mix and we could even break that record! Scary huh? Plus if Maroney gets injured again, we won't have to be digging in the scrap heaps for guys like Barlow.

I like the two headed monster idea as well.
That way they can both stay fresh throughout the season and feed of each other.
Look how well duos are doing in the NFL these days like Fred Taylor and MDJ, Deuce McAllister and Reggie Bush, Chester Taylor and Adrian Peterson, etc.
There's no such thing as too much talent on offense. And at RB you can do even more.

DMac and Maroney would be an absolute terror. The Pats are likely to break the all time NFL scoring record this season, but add McFadden to the mix and we could even break that record! Scary huh? Plus if Maroney gets injured again, we won't have to be digging in the scrap heaps for guys like Barlow.

Two headed monsters are great and all, but the fact remains you're paying two people primo salary to play part time. McFadden's nice, but he's no Adrian Peterson that can single-handedly make your offense go. (Although he may be the next Jamal Lewis...which isn't too shabby). It just makes much more sense to invest a 3rd or 4th round pick in a guy like James Davis or Felix Jones, just off the top of my head, to spell Maroney. And use the Top 5 pick and cap percentage on an elite player who's going to be on the field most of the time. I really wish there was an elite CB to be had this year.

Unless we change the entire offense, you can't even plan on getting them on the field together except in rare circumstances, and I don't think it's wise to have a high number one pick sitting on the sidelines for the majority of the game.

McFadden runs kind of tall.

205 pounds is pretty wiry for a guy 6'3". He may not be able to run through NFL defenses like college defenses. Players are bigger and faster.

Reggie Bush is what, 200? How's he as a RB?

Two headed monsters are great and all, but the fact remains you're paying two people primo salary to play part time. McFadden's nice, but he's no Adrian Peterson that can single-handedly make your offense go. (Although he may be the next Jamal Lewis...which isn't too shabby). It just makes much more sense to invest a 3rd or 4th round pick in a guy like James Davis or Felix Jones, just off the top of my head, to spell Maroney. And use the Top 5 pick and cap percentage on an elite player who's going to be on the field most of the time. I really wish there was an elite CB to be had this year.

Unless we change the entire offense, you can't even plan on getting them on the field together except in rare circumstances, and I don't think it's wise to have a high number one pick sitting on the sidelines for the majority of the game.

I hope we trade back, in most drafts there are players from 1-10 that are expected to be above average starters and then a bunch from 11-50 that should be projected to start. I would much rather have a top 15 pick in 08, a second rounder in 08 and another first rounder in 09 than the #4,5,6,7 pick.

But if no one will trade with us and McFadden is available then I am not morally opposed. I realize there will be a cap hit but he the bottom line is he upgrades the position. Maybe he shares carries with Maroney*, maybe he gets the bulk of them but in either case the team is improved.

* I expect maroney to be better in 09, most young players improve a lot between years 1 & 2 because they can spend all off-season working out. Maroney never got this chance because of his surgery. Hopefully this upcoming off season Maroney is able to heal and add 5-8 pounds of muscle.

My hope is that Adrian Peterson puts stars in the eyes of a bunch of clubs for McFadden, starting a bidding war to take the pick off the Pats' hands.

Well if we can trade back and get TWO 1st round picks I would favor it. But if we can't... can you imagine the versatility and talent we would have on offense? Not only would the Pats have the horses to pound the ball, but they already have the aerial arsenal. It seems to me that in today's NFL, the more explosive your offense can be the better chance you have to win. Just look how Addai almost singlehandedly beat the Pats. And how the Pats came back because they had big play weapons like Moss and Stallworth.

IMO unless there is a defensive player the caliber of a Champ Bailey or Brian Urlacher out there.. an explosive back like McFadden who has the talent to take over games much like Peterson... that would really upgrade the RB position. I like Maroney but right now he's not as good as other recent 1st round backs like Addai, Lynch, or AP. We are seeing many dual back systems succeed in today's NFL. If Mcfadden drops to us, I'd be ecstatic. How great would it be to have an LT or AP type of back on the Patriots??

I hope we trade back, in most drafts there are players from 1-10 that are expected to be above average starters and then a bunch from 11-50 that should be projected to start. I would much rather have a top 15 pick in 08, a second rounder in 08 and another first rounder in 09 than the #4,5,6,7 pick.

But if no one will trade with us and McFadden is available then I am not morally opposed. I realize there will be a cap hit but he the bottom line is he upgrades the position. Maybe he shares carries with Maroney*, maybe he gets the bulk of them but in either case the team is improved.

* I expect maroney to be better in 09, most young players improve a lot between years 1 & 2 because they can spend all off-season working out. Maroney never got this chance because of his surgery. Hopefully this upcoming off season Maroney is able to heal and add 5-8 pounds of muscle.

Last edited:
after the Colts game...it is painfully obvious that we need to get younger at LB...each year we do not address it, but we need to this comming draft. I would either of these three with our top pick...rivers, Conner or the road warrior would be nice

If we draft DMAC, I wonder if we'd trade Maroney. I though McFadden was the best player in the country last year. I think he's going to be spectacular because he can make you miss and is tough. Peterson just doesn't have his moves and I believe more susceptible to injury in the long run. Though injuries are a fluke usually. Sorry, to hear about Ronnie Brown Aqua. He played a great game against PSU in 02 Cap 1 Bowl. I've kept an eye on him since. I think he's a great all-around back. Run,catch and block. Hope he gets healthy.

McFadden is supposed to be the 2nd coming of Barry Sanders so I supposed he's doing something right. I don't think he's any more talented than Adrian Peterson but it's not like that's a bad thing.

Yeah, it's a bummer. Ronnie is an outstanding back who can do it all. He's going to be the focal point of our offense for the next 6 or 7 years so hopefully he gets back alright.

Last edited:
My hope is that Adrian Peterson puts stars in the eyes of a bunch of clubs for McFadden, starting a bidding war to take the pick off the Pats' hands.

McFadden - Peterson 2 different backs

Peterson as a runner is better than any RB thats come out in last decade imo. Watch him in college..dominant. What kept him from #1 pick? Injury concerns..and his upright running which some thought might be related to injuries. Hes fast..strong..he looks very lean but the dude is a load to bring down. He does it all.

McFadden..hes fast..catches well..very versatile. Quick..breaks tackles well but hes not in the league of Peterson..but not many are.

Id be interested..i mean i love playmakers plain and simple. If we had a shot at Calvin Johnson in the draft..i would go back and take him even with Moss and company

If that were the case, McFadden won't fall to the Pats. No way the 49ers have a worse record then Miami, St. Louis or the Jets this season.

If I didn't develope a small mancrush for Glenn Dorsey, I would hope the Dolphins would trade out.

I'm tempted to love the idea of drafting McFadden, but I'm not a fan of overloading on one side of the ball when there will be glaring needs in our defensive back seven.

Also, it doesn't seem economical to dedicate that kind of money, as well as the draft leverage of a top 5 pick, to one position. In today's league there are very few teams running a single feature back for 20+ carries a game. The Pats already have a 1st round pick at RB who is solid for 10-15 carries a game and a YPC around 5.0, and the depth is good. Faulk and Morris have never been a #1 options, so their football bodies is younger than their actual age. I think the Pats can ride what they have at RB through 2008 without adding youth.

The Barry Sanders comparisons are also tempting. But look at Reggie Bush vs. Joseph Addai. Bush hasn't proven to be a true feature back, despite being taken at #2 overall, while Addai is the MVP of a 7-1 team and probably the game's 2nd best back.

Sanders comparsion sucks

Sanders = QUICKNESS. Hes been caught from behind..he definitley wasnt the fastest RB..but he was the quickest. His shiftness was amazing

McFadden has the TOP GEAR. He will outrun everyone on the field..hes quick but not Sanders quick..you wont see him dance and make people miss like Dante Hall...Barry Sanders do/did

McFadden has room to add weight..Hes over 205 im pretty sure..hes like 215 right now. His acceleration, top end speed, and finish off runs is what i like. Hes not the type of runner Peterson is but hes a threat to score every play..he does deliver a pop and hes got a nice stiff arm

His hands..overrated. He gets the showcase it more than Peterson did..hes definitley a guy you gameplan against hardcore because hes big..strong..very fast..quick..threat out of backfield..passes well.

I dont see top 3 teams taking him. Dolphins? Unless Brown's injury is a terrible one where he might be out into next season..i dont think they'll take him. Steven Jackson when healthy is a big playmaker...hes their franchise. Jets? Maybe..but if ManGENIUS was as smart as people make him out to be..he'd go defensive line. a RB wont help when your OL sucks.. and your D is TERRIBLE

Bengals? Na..more likely to see defense or OL
Falcons? They have Norwood..dont use him enough. Not sure what Falcons want..they're a bunch of screwups

Raiders? If they love their RBs like the Lions love their WR's..then maybe but honestly..i dont see it. Rhodes/Jordan/Fargas/Bush..they'll give them a chance.

The more i think about it, the more the pick of Kenny Phillips makes sense to me. I'd love to have McFadden but theres a chance he wont drop to us, and even if he does, Belicheck probably won't give up the cap space for another RB. Kenny Phillips is the going to be the next dominating Safety in the game, if we picked him up we could move Merriweather to Corner or maybe go with two Miami Safeties (Phillips at FS). Harrison isn't getting any younger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes