PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should Maroney get more touches

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Red Dog

Rookie
Reaction score
First of all I'll say that Dillon is a great Back. That being said, he had some holes that Maroney could've broke for serious gains. Obviously Dillon is an integral part of the offense but I don't see him breaking 70 yd runs.

LM had almost 50yds on his 1st 2 carries and then Dillon came back in. This kid looks like there's a chance to score everytime it's handed to him. Why let him cool off when they haven't figured out how to stop him yet.

I want to see him get at least 75% of the carries next week. Who's with me?

I like the Idea of Gibroni getting 50% of the carries
And Dillon getting 50%.

I liked what i saw out of the running game.

What a pain in the ass that must be.

I love the idea that they have no idea what the play is going to be, unlike when Mike Alstott or TJ Duckett relieve someone. When those guys come in you have a pretty good idea what will happen.

When Dillon and Gibroni kept switching, no one had a clue what the next play was going to be.

p.s. that Drop by Gibroni was frustrating but it's ok, it was his first game.

I thought the split was fine. I'll admit, a few times with Dillon in I thought that Maroney would have made more of it. But Dillon looks great in his own right. And pacing Maroney is definitely the way to go as he's got a 20 game season ahead, twice as many as he usually played in college - where he also split carries.

I agree with Keegs. Keeping fresh legs in there is something that will show it's value in spades in the 2nd half of the season. Just keep both of them healthy, adjust for specific matchups each week, but keep the reps about at the same the whole way through.

I agree with Kegs.

45-45-10 (Faulk).

1 +1 +1 = 5

Dillon is the body puncher, Maroney to the jaw and Faulk the jabber. Each one makes the other more lethal.

Dillon beating the D up softens it for Maroney who runs around them getting them tired for Faulk who screws them up to be pounded again by Dillon. A baseball analogy would be that BB is a 3 pitch pitcher, while someone like his tanned protege in the swamp land really goes into a game with only one pitch.

I like the ratio they used in the Buffalo game. It'll keep both guys fresher as the season rolls on, and splitting the carries evenly means the opposing defenses can't gameplan just one guy.

I thought last night's balance was spot on. We don't want to wear the kid out before we get down to the business end of the season, and we might as well get as much juice out of Dillon as we can while he's still young. :)

Last edited:
As much as I would love to see him get more carries because he is a very exciting runner,I hope they don't give him more than 50% of the carries. Rookies RB's seem have a hard time staying healthy and keeping their legs fresh when they get the bulk of the carries. Since we will be playing all the way into the Superbowl we need to keep him fresh!

NEM said:
For the first time that I can remember, we are in an enviable position, running back wise.

The mix yesterday was perfect...and at times I wouldnt mind seeing them BOTH in there ont he same play, keep the defenses guessing.

The mix was perfect as it kept both healthy, and not tired out.....

And when it comes crunch time i am comfortable with either of them.

I can see the two of them in a tandem backfield...Maroney the threat outside the tackles, Dillon the threat inside the tackles..... one hell of a problem for defenses...... and perfect time for play action, too.

I say we use them both in the backfield with five receivers.

Let's see. 11-5-2? :confused: A little help here, math isn't my strong point.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back