Welcome to PatsFans.com

Should Kwanzaa now become a national holiday?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by cupofjoe1962, Nov 17, 2008.

1. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +63 / 14 / -9

Hey I am all for it.....

Kwanzaa is a non-religious African American holiday which celebrates family, community, and culture. It is celebrated for seven days: December 26 - January 1.

Dr. Maulana Karenga, professor and chairman of Black Studies at California State University, Long Beach, created Kwanzaa in 1966. After the Watts riots in Los Angeles, Dr. Karenga searched for ways to bring African-Americans together as a community. He founded US, a cultural organization, and started to research African "first fruit" (harvest) celebrations. Karenga combined aspects of several different harvest celebrations, such as those of the Ashanti and those of the Zulu, to form the basis of Kwanzaa.

We celebrate Christmas on Dec 25th and then Kwanzaa from Dec 26th to
    January 1st & we get paid for it.

If Obama get's this approved, I just may vote for him in 2012.
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

Quite simply.. no.
  3. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +563 / 7 / -9

...and an extra Jewish holiday for everybody, regardless of race color or creed...

-- David Frye
  4. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

No, but I also don't think x-mas or easter should be either.
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +664 / 2 / -9

Red Heads Should Have A Holiday
  6. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +383 / 3 / -15

"Kwanzaa"?....NO, I don't think so.

Easter is NOT a holiday...it falls on a Sunday every year....you mean Good Friday? My company has Good Friday as holiday which is strange because we're a California company.

Most people don't have a problem with "day off" holidays my friend. Christmas is not just a christian holiday. There is a strong secularness to it. Santa Claus is a very secular figure as are Christmas trees and decorations. I've know many Jews who tell me they really enjoy the christmas holiday spirit and it's focus on children.

No offense, but there aren't many people who want to get rid of holidays, so let's just ignore those who want all holidays to be generic.
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  7. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

Bull****. It is a Christian holiday. Just look at first half of the word. That is like saying Hanukkah is not a Jewish holiday because there is no religious component to the dradel game. Or Purim has is now a secular holiday because for many observers it has morphed into a version of Halloween & Mardi gras with many of my friends skipping the reading of the Megilla and just get dressed up and drinking.

Christmas is a Christian holiday.

American holidays are 4th of July, Presidents day, veterans day, memorial day, labor day.

I am all for having paid days off be it Kwanzza or Xmas. But Xmas is no more an american holiday than kwanzza.
  8. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +383 / 3 / -15

That may be your opinion, but it is not that of the supreme court of the US of A.

"Christmas has been a federal holiday in America since June 26, 1870. In August, 1998, Cincinnati attorney Richard Ganulin filed suit in U.S. District Court claiming that “Christmas is a religious holiday, and the Congress of the United States is not constitutionally permitted to endorse or aid any religion, purposefully or otherwise, or entanglement between our government and religious beliefs.”

“The court has found legitimate secular purposes for establishing Christmas as a legal public holiday.” When the government decides to recognize Christmas Day as a public holiday, it does no more than accommodate the calendar of public activities to the plain fact that many Americans will expect on that day to spend time visiting with their families, attending religious services, and perhaps enjoying some respite from pre-holiday activities."

If it were not an American holiday, the federal gov't would not declare it a federal holiday....which it is.
  9. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

I have read the case. The court found that there was a secular purpose to having that as a day off. It did not find that Christmas was secular. There is a difference. The logic in that case was somewhat wishy washy as they try to keep the holiday with out watering down the 1st amendment anymore than necessary to keep it.
  10. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +383 / 3 / -15

I won't disagree with you, but you shouldn't disagree that there are many non-christians and non-believers who love the christmas season. As time goes on, it has become less religious and more secular.

And that could possibly be due to the commercialization of the holiday to get more people to spend $$. Since I am a christian, I am biased to an extent. But I am also non-practicing.
  11. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

Well, isn't that the perfect argument to do that same thing we did with Washington and Lincoln's birthday? We rolled those two into one day and called it President's day to include all our presidents.

Lets roll Kwanzza, Xmas, and Hanukkah into one winter holiday and call it something generic to be inclusive.
  12. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Football day?

I believe its the only specific date of the year that's guaranteed to have a game played on it.
  13. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +383 / 3 / -15

I'd never support that. I want christmas to remain part of our American culture. I doubt something like that would happen in our lifetime.
  14. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

Whens Festivus this year?
    My favorite part is the Airing of Grievences.

"I have a lot of problems with you people!!!!!!"
  15. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,313 / 9 / -7

#75 Jersey

Festivus!!!!!

Frank Costanza is God!
  16. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +563 / 7 / -9

What do you mean, "you people"? :eek:
  17. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

Federal Express.... is a federal agency. just look at the first word.

French Fries are from france
  18. Born_a_Patriot

Born_a_Patriot PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

What do you mean, "you people"?
    [​IMG]
  19. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

honestly..... Election Day is the most logical. what other event in four years is that important? people should be given the day off to make voting smooth and accessible
  20. patzchick

patzchick Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

KWANZPATZCHICK...now there's another obscure holiday I want to get paid for. In fact! I want to be off everyday and get paid for it...oh wait, they already have that holiday it's called welfare. Maybe Obama can make that official for everyone also.