Welcome to PatsFans.com

Should Kerry Be Booted? Will He Be Obama's Secretary of State?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Jun 7, 2008.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +549 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Any Massachusetts residents here who may have an opinion on this?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  2. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I posted the bit about Kerry wanting to be SecState earlier.

The article I posted said the only problem with him leaving was that Mass has a history of electing 'moderate' republicans (if any emerge), and with Teddy K. in trouble, that could have the effect of sending two newly minted "R" senators to Washington from Mass.

Does anyone besides me just find that idea bizarre to the extreme?
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +332 / 1 / -9

His Holy Highness Prince Barack Hussein Obama should "steer clear" of losers, Kerry/Hillary/Gore/Tom Da$shole etc,etc
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +175 / 5 / -22

New England, as does the rest of the Country, really love their incumbents.. so dismiss this as another effort to unseat him that will go nowhere... don't see him taking this job, particularly as he is scheduled to become Mass. Senior Senator real soon...
  5. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +549 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

This one is intriguing though in that it's his own party. However, politics is all about power as you allude to ... so he'll become Ted.
  6. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

He's already considered one of the top 5 or so (might be 7 or 8) most powerful senators. He's also getting old, what is he, around 65? What better way for him to go out, spending 4 or 6 or 8 years as SecState, then retiring to spend his wife's inheritance while he's still young enough to enjoy it?

I don't believe Kerry ever considered being the top dog senator his goal. Being SecState is a better gig than senior senator from a small state, and always in Teddy's shadow ("and in other news tonight, Sen. John Kerry, who took the position of senior senator from Mass. when the long beloved Teddy blah blah blah..." you know?).

And something else some of you might be missing: being SecState in an inexperienced Obama's cabinet would give him a great deal of power. In many ways he could be more powerful than the actual POTUS.
  7. fourthandmiles

fourthandmiles Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Only thing more bizzare than two Repubs would be Dems getting Mumbles elected to the Senate. Look for umbrella holder Ray Flynn to show up too.

I think they give Kerry a position that always fails. Sec of Defense is sure to send him down in flames.
  8. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +184 / 3 / -10

Motta is concerned that a senator from his own state & his own party may have an opportunity to become secretary of state?

We talked about courage earlier in another thread. Kerry is not a classic Massachusetts "liberal" democrat, he's a moderate. I like the guy myself. It takes balls to walk away from the liberals as a Massachusetts congressman. Good for him!

It's easy to criticize the war in Iraq now, but most of the country supported it when it started. the horror of 9/11 was still fresh on our minds and desire for retribution was natural.

I don't like robots in either party. For God's sake, isn't that what being an American is all about?

a. paul will probably think I'm losing it after this post:D
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  9. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +184 / 3 / -10

I find it ironic, but not that bizarre. Since both parties have taken a huge shift toward the middle, it's become easier for voters to actually switch parties and for independents to vote against their tendencies.

Look at Mitt Romney and William Weld. In any other state, they would have been seen as Democrats...except maybe California.
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2008