PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should Kelly Washington get some time at receiver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure! Kelly should get some looks. What the hey, C Jackson is just not panning out. I hate to say this because, I had high hopes & trust in the drafting of him. But... He's a "Coach Killer" :(

With all the speculation that Chad Jackson is not going to be anything but filling a roster spot or possibly cut in the future, besides Moss,Welker and Gaffney,the 4th WR spot is really up for grabs
THere is a breakdown in logic here. It implies that because some fans and media are speculating, the BB will be acting on that speculation.

I gotta tell you when he was drafted I loved Washington. But in the years since he hasnt proven himself a NFL reciever either here or Cincy. That said, CJ is in PRIME position for BB to make an example of....but our 4th wr has to play WR! If Aiken is ok, and IF he can take Washington's spot then Washington has a much better shot at displacing CJ. It doesnt look like this will be a position there will be many surprise FAs, so KW's spot on the roster is looking pretty solid. What I dont know is if he can stay focused to be dressing every week.....something a 4th WR needs to do.

Should?
Washington, Aiken (if healthy), Chad Jackson, CJ Jones (well, maybe not), Matt Slater, Ray Ventrone (BB's binkie and Mrs B's heart throb) and Chris Dunlop will all get or not get playing time based on how they perform each and every assignment at training camp. Every single play and every player is evaluated on every play by the coaches after the session. Routes run whether thrown to or not are evaluated for position, timing and separation from the DB or LB.

Now if a player is 'on the bubble' as a potential CUT they just might get a couple looks in a game to solidify or contradict that evaluation.

Last edited:
I think his website is in need of an update.

http://www.kelleywashington.net/

NFL Stats
Game Logs

NFL Career consists of 58 Games, 9 Games Started, 72 Receptions for 893 Yards (12.4 Y/C) and 9 TD. Ironically his last game with a reception was in week 4 of 2006 against the Pats, when he had 3 catches for 28 yards.

Should?
Washington, Aiken (if healthy), Chad Jackson, CJ Jones (well, maybe not), Matt Slater, Ray Ventrone (BB's binkie and Mrs B's heart throb) and Chris Dunlop will all get or not get playing time based on how they perform each and every assignment at training camp. Every single play and every player is evaluated on every play by the coaches after the session. Routes run whether thrown to or not are evaluated for position, timing and separation from the DB or LB.

Now if a player is 'on the bubble' as a potential CUT they just might get a couple looks in a game to solidify or contradict that evaluation.
This is a good point. We often look at the amount of playing time in preseason as an indication of how much a marginal player earns that time.

I would think, IMHO, that preseason is primarily to evaluate whether players should stay. It is secondly to give players live practice who need experience with the team's playbook.

CJ Jones is an example of the first. Lamont Jordan is probably an example of the second. Crable is definitely an example of the second.

Washington isn't fighting for a spot as desperately as Jones or Ventrone. Whether he should get live preseason snaps might be based on whether coaches think he's absorbed enough of the playbook that it's not as important for him as a relatively new player like Aiken. Or as important as CJack, who has a lot to prove and appears to need a hypodermic injection of the playbook.

Last year, Washington took plenty of live preseason snaps. He looked good, actually quite good. The coaches may feel it's not necessary for him to do that again until later in the preseason, when the quarterbacks are playing better (or when better quarterbacks are playing).

I suspect Gaffney was on the field for Cassel's benefit, so at least one WR was running the right route and getting open.

[Disclaimer: Washington is a PatsFan37 Personal Favorite(tm) which you lesser posters may simply refer to as a binkie.]

I agree with #37, especially about the Gaffney escape valve.

Last edited:
This is a good point. We often look at the amount of playing time in preseason as an indication of how much a marginal player earns that time.

I would think, IMHO, that preseason is primarily to evaluate whether players should stay. It is secondly to give players live practice who need experience with the team's playbook.

CJ Jones is an example of the first. Lamont Jordan is probably an example of the second. Crable is definitely an example of the second.

Washington isn't fighting for a spot as desperately as Jones or Ventrone. Whether he should get live preseason snaps might be based on whether coaches think he's absorbed enough of the playbook that it's not as important for him as a relatively new player like Aiken. Or as important as CJack, who has a lot to prove and appears to need a hypodermic injection of the playbook.

Last year, Washington took plenty of live preseason snaps. He looked good, actually quite good. The coaches may feel it's not necessary for him to do that again until later in the preseason, when the quarterbacks are playing better (or when better quarterbacks are playing).

I suspect Gaffney was on the field for Cassel's benefit, so at least one WR was running the right route and getting open.

[Disclaimer: Washington is a PatsFan37 Personal Favorite(tm) which you lesser posters may simply refer to as a binkie.]
One further point to add to this monologue: BB has many times noted how there are some players who practice poorly, but light it up on game day, and some who set the world on fire in practice and don't even spark on game day - he's testing each player to determine which they might be.

From what I read, Crable was more of a gamer than the practice reports suggested to me. Woods also improved dramatically from what I was reading about his practices, as did Lewis Sanders (though 9 year vets come with more of a track record).

Practices vs game performances as I saw it...

Cassel................poor => excerable
Gutz...................OK => poor
CJ Jones.............OK => excerable
Chad Jackson.......OK => below par
L Jordan..............OK => very good (hard to discern RB performance in TC)
Slater.................very good => good
Ventrone.............OK => good

Mayo..................very good => very good
Crable.................good => very good
Guyton................good => good
Woods................below par => very good
Alexander............below par => ?
Wheatley.............good => good

Hanson...............good but inconsistent => good but inconsistent (one short punt got a roll)
Gostk.................very good => very good

Last edited:
Does somebody have a stat for how often the Pats lined up in a four receiver set last year? As fun and exciting as it is to watch, I don't think it was as often as we may think it was.

I e-mailed Mike Reiss on this and he wrote that the Pats were in pure 3 and 4 WR sets 68% of the time, so that would make that 4th WR position very critical. Stallworth and Gaffney, who alternated at 3rd and 4th WR, catch totals from last yr seem to bear that out as well. Stallworth started 9 games and had 46 catches while Gaffney started 7 and had 36 catches. That's pretty significant production.

Practices vs game performances as I saw it...

Cassel................poor => excerable
Gutz...................OK => poor
CJ Jones.............OK => excerable
Chad Jackson.......OK => below par
L Jordan..............OK => very good (hard to discern RB performance in TC)
Slater.................very good => good
Ventrone.............OK => good

Mayo..................very good => very good
Crable.................good => very good
Guyton................good => good
Woods................below par => very good
Alexander............below par => ?
Wheatley.............good => good

Hanson...............good but inconsistent => good but inconsistent (one short punt got a roll)
Gostk.................very good => very good
Wow, tough grades for arguably the best and deepest team in the league.

Good analysis. We are judging preseason performance as though it were a game, not an evaluation and practice venue.

ABSOLUTELY! The guy has a never quit attitude. I would love to see him get a chance to take some snaps on offense and see what he could do.

Agreed. Seems to be a classy kid. Hard worker. A maniac on ST. Has great height, weight ratio. I'd like to see more of him on O.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes