Welcome to PatsFans.com

Should it be legal to mock or disrespect religion?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by cupofjoe1962, Sep 19, 2012.

1. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +63 / 14 / -9

It sure seems like our president does not like it when people disrespect
    Islam. I understand that this could put our soldiers in harms way, but aren't
    they already in harms way?

I believe in freedom of speech !
    If the KKK or the Nazi's are allowed to march in a town like Skokie, then
    South Park should be allowed to poke fun at Muhammad.

Obama did not have any problem taking a million dollars from a man who
    made a huge profit mocking religion (Bill Maher - Movie - Religulous).
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  2. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

Of course it should be -- and it is.

(South Park was "censored" by Viacom, not the government.)
  3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

Of course it should be legal, but it also should be legal to condemn those who disrespect religion, discourage people from doing things that put others in harm's way, and to use words to try to calm the passions of others. When Americans refuse to apologize for the bad behavior of other Americans that causes danger to some, I think we're acting in some ways as irrational as those who go crazy over insulting depictions of Allah.
  4. jcdavey

jcdavey Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

i don't believe in hate crimes.....but mocking or disrespecting religions , i don't see a big deal in that

religious fanatics need to realize not everyone shares their way of life

ironically enough republicans are alot like the fanatics, but without the killing (these days)
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

Guess I missed the memo where cartoons have become real...
  6. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +63 / 14 / -9

Timeline of the Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

If you want cartoons to be real so be it.. personally prefer a different view of the world.
  8. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

So you think Obama should have apologized?
  9. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +380 / 3 / -15

Look folks...here's the skinny & lowdown on this idea....

If it's not illegal to mock or disrespect a PERSON, then it can never be illegal to disrespect a RELIGION

People are always more important than institutions.

And I reserve my rights to mock and disrespect any person I choose!:D
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2012
  10. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Patters - Doesn't the bolded part of your post below basically hint at the crux of the issue?

Let me explain.

We both agree that it should (and is) be legal to mock a religion and we both agree that if a person takes offense to said mocking they have recourse: be it a protest or speaking out to correct the mocking (if you will).

But that isnt what this is about right? If that is all it was, we probably wouldn't be talking about it.

What all of this is is a group of people from one religion feel that any mocking of their religion justifies their actions, up to and including killing the mocker.

That isn't a justifiable response, period (IMHO). Human civility dictates that you can't just go around killing people that talk smack to you. You use the power of your voice and thought to change the attitude you are taking offense to.

The issue here seemingly is the battle between the freedom to speak your mind; even if your mind is hateful, vs the belief by some (all?) followers of Islam that speaking poorly of their prophet is a crime punishable by death.

Now as I said in the other threads about this topic, I don't see the day that Obama (or any other POTUS) attempts to take away anyone in the US's "god" given right to free speech. But the thought (not saying this is happening) that the US would alter the most basic of freedoms which we hold dear because all of the sudden hateful words bring death to our countrymen is absurd.

Our Constitution protects WBC and their pathetic existence and the rubbish they spew, and that should be the same for all speech, short of the usual "can't yell fire in a theater" examples (unless you are willing to argue that this example is on par with yelling fire in a theater)

As Thomas Jefferson said: "The will of the people is the only legitimate foundation of any government, and to protect its free expression should be our first object."
  11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +663 / 2 / -9

Should it be legal to mock or disrespect religion?

Ask that question to The Muslim Community

If you are a Celebrity Public Figure try doing it to The Muslim Religion.

GOOD LUCK
  12. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Legal to mock or disrespect religion?

Hell yeah! It should be mandatory and taught in schools from first grade on!

What's the point of this discussion? I thought it was common knowledge that religion isn't real. (well...except for you know who!)
  13. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +663 / 2 / -9

I think it should be legal For All Religions not just for the Christians.
  14. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Awwwwwww...

Poor wittow Kwistians still can't get a bweak in Amewica!

[​IMG]
  15. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +663 / 2 / -9

Why is it OK to Trash The Christian but if you do the same to the Muslim you are considered a Bigot?

Trash Em All

The Hell With The Christian Church
    The Hell With The Mosque
    The Hell With The Synagouge

Thats American Freedom
  16. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +236 / 8 / -13

B Maher is toasted by libs for being edgy, Book of Mormon win Tony Awards and is lauded by libs. Austrian film with catholic woman masturbating with crucifix wins award.

Yet when taxpayers object to public subsidies for 'art' that is offensive to Christians they are accused of censorship.

I see precious little consideration for religions other than Islam from libs.

Guess murder and mayhem is the way to engender consideration from the left.

:D
  17. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

If apologizing for the bad behavior of some Americans will save lives and calm passions, I think an apology is in order. We're seeing troops being killed in Afghanistan because of that frickin' film. I would not be against Obama saying, "Our nation allows freedom of speech but that does not mean we agree with what everyone says. We want you to know that the people who made that offensive film do not represent most Americans, and we are sorry for the harm that film might have caused." Obama needs to deal with the reality that in parts of the ME there is government that is unable to control some people who have 14th century mentality. We need to deal with reality, but unfortunately national politics and ego get in the way.
  18. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

In our nation we have a tradition of freedom of speech. If Muslims here are killing people because of insensitive remarks, we have ways of handling that. The problem comes with dealing with people from different countries and different cultures. Religious Americans have every right has every right to march and protest against Piss Christ, against films that offend Muslims, and so on. Do you disagree? My only point is that our leaders have the right to let the world know that intolerant expression is the United States is legal, but does not reflect the belief system of most Americans.
  19. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +663 / 2 / -9

I again find it amazing and mind boggling how the Left Wing Liberals slobber and slop over the Islamic Religion in light of it's Abuse Of Women and It's Blood Curdling Violence, those are two of the major things the foolish liberals claim to DETEST.

All Of The Organized Religions Are Very Dangerous CULTS, all of them not just The Liberals Chosen Ones, the Atrocities Committed By Some In The Islamic Religion in the name of their God is disgusting and barbaric, it goes against everything the Liberal claims to believe in.

If you believe in a God worship him, her or it in the privacy of your own home, don't involve your God in other peoples lives or affairs, don't try to force your God on others.
  20. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Good. I'm just confused over many posts, essays and panel of 4 experts that the left paraded out complete with their deep analysis of Obama's statements designed to debunk any hint or notion that any apology took place. While technically accurate it's amusing now to see how one side insist an apology was made and the other side insists one was not. It seems the left is just a guilty of putting national politics and ego ahead of reality.