Welcome to PatsFans.com

Should it be legal to discriminate? Check all that apply.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Mar 4, 2006.

?

Should it be legal to discriminate? Check all that apply.

1. Yes, on the basis of color

22.2%
  2. Yes, on the basis of gender

29.6%
  3. Yes, on the basis of sexual preference

22.2%
  4. Yes, on the basis of religion

22.2%
  5. Yes, on the basis of age

29.6%
  6. Yes, on the basis of political views

25.9%
  7. No, it should never be legal to discriminate

66.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

+1. I'd be interested in hearing the OP respond to the question of whether or not it is OK to discriminate against people based on intelligence or experience when (for example) hiring for a job. Fact is everyone discriminates in a wide variety of ways every single day.

2. alvinnf

alvinnf In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0

The only real question with this poll is what does it say about the person asking the question?

3. alvinnf

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0

You have really summed up the Liberal mindset nicely. These are the inherent flaws doing for others not unconditionally but conditionally. That is how it works you operate under the veil of good intentions to reap the benefits of being a better human. All while justifying some internal malevolence for mankind.

4. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Have not answered yet but I can think of specific examples where discrimination either does or should happen. And I'm willing to bet some liberals can think of situations as well. Here are some of my thoughts:

gender: If I go to Hooters and get served by a dude wearing orange short shorts I'm going to be mighty pissed off. Or on a more serious note, let's say I run a company that does business in a foreign country that has what I would consider a barbaric view of women's rights, maybe I need their business to survive and would be more apt to hire males for positions that require them to go overseas and work in that culture. Their culture is wrong, but could I risk my business and the livelihood of my employees to make a statement about it? I'm not sure I could.

age: I have two 100% equally qualified candidates for a job, one is 25, the other is 95. Who am I going to hire?

race: Some affirmative action programs gave preference to minority candidates rather than being race-neutral. This is an example of discrimination embraced by the left to promote equality. Not saying if it was good or bad, but it certainly was/is discriminatory.

Or how about this one, let's say I was filthy rich and decided to run for political office, would I hire only minorities as groundskeepers or butlers of whatever? No way, it would be political suicide. This kind of thing happens all the time by the way. Smithers on the Simpsons was originally black and Groening changed him to white because having an overly servile black man waiting on a white man would have killed the show. Same reason why The Sum of All Fears went from being a book about Arab terrorists to a movie about Russian ones.

Bottom line is this poll deals in absolutes and I don't think that's a particularly useful way to approach the issue.

5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +285 / 11 / -10

Of course there are weird exceptions, but that's true of any poll. If I asked a year ago Who will you vote for for President, Obama or McCain? the results would not take into account the possibility of the person answering the poll dying before the vote, changing their political views, or voting incorrectly. But, in general, such a poll does reveal something about the polltaker, and the fact that several people favor legal discrimination I think tells us something.

6. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +607 / 7 / -6

Make it "or" (rather than AND), and the answer is the a-holes that constitute the majority of this forum.

QED.

PFnV

7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +714 / 2 / -9

If you refused to let this thing in your yard or baby sit your children there are phony (do-gooders) right on this forum that immediately would be jumping up & down calling you "racist".

Another Thing, the Double Standard in race relations involving slobbering holier than thou liberals is disgusting, the cover ups, the excuses, the burying it on the back page sh!t is insulting to the publics inteligence, when racism & bigotry are an issue put it right up front no matter who the Racist & Bigots are, treat all Bigots the same regardless of their Race or Religion, a Bigot is a Bigot.

8. Patters

Ratings:
    +285 / 11 / -10

There are still some people here we haven't successfully socialized, but from my perspective the good news is that gays are as accepted as religious folk, which makes the board rather progressive on that note. A good example of vicarious learning, I think.

9. alvinnf

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0

There is nothing wrong with this board....You have obviously only grown tired of reading your own writing....

10. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +714 / 2 / -9

Racism elected the current President.

11. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +569 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

That's ok, Harry, racism will bring him down, too.

12. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +714 / 2 / -9

No, I don't think so his inexpierence, his arrogance and his Chicago Style Politics will do it, he is now on the road to a one term president, there are many more qualified black men out there far better for this country than Barack Hussein Obama one of them will come forward and he will win, big time.

The people "Rushed" to vote Obama now they are beginning to see what they have done, he is no better than the "last guy" The Change never came nor will it.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  13. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +85 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Patters,
    I'd like to know what your definition of discrimination is? I can think of several situations where one individual might call it discrimination and another might not see it that way.
    1) Suppose the FAA bans commercial pilots over age 60. Is this discriminating against those older pilots who might have experience? i suspect the answer will vary with the person's age. (I am not sure of the exact age but I believe it to be 60)
    2) Suppose a fire department requires all applicants to be able to carry 150 lbs on their shoulder. If 100 people try out ( 50 men and 50 women) and only 30 men pass the test and none of the women, is this discriminating against women? There's the de jure(what the law says) and de facto (what happens in practice) A women might argue that it's discrimination while a man might say that it's part of the job and public safety should not be sacrificed.

14. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

All I'm saying is I think the votes should go 100% FOR legal discrimination exactly because there are those "weird exceptions" like affirmative action. Wouldn't support of a program that tries to ensure racial equality through giving preference to minority be discrimination? If so then you should be voting YES for discrimination based on race, that's all I was trying to say. I'm just trying to point out that a YES vote does not necessarily denote a racist or a sexist. The larger topic here though is one I find fascinating, where to draw these lines.

Also the poll does say NEVER legal to discriminate so if you can think of ANY case it is a yes vote.

15. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +527 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

Stupid post of the year. If the country is non racist enough to elect him, the country is non racist enough to judge him fairly.

16. Satchboogie3

Satchboogie3 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I think discrimination should be illegal when it comes to the Gov't (Gov't jobs, policy, etc), but it SHOULD be legal for the private sector. If a company doesn't want to hire certain people based on race, gender, religion, etc, it should be their right; it's THEIR business. If a restaurant doesn't want to serve people with pink hair, it should be their right (just like fine restaurants can refuse people who don't have proper dress code).

Do I think it's right that people discriminate? Of course not, but they still should have that right.

17. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +165 / 5 / -0

#91 Jersey

WRONG Harry, "W" made it possible. He deserves most of the credit...Did you send him a Christmas card, or a thank you note? :singing:

18. alvinnf

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0

No one likes racism more than Barry......He's hanging on by a thread and it's all he has left.....

19. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +714 / 2 / -9

I had a card for him last year but watching him coddle 12 million illegal aliens soured me on him, picturing Kerry as president is the only reason I voted Bush the second time.

Obama
    Looks like "The Change" isn't going to happen, Bush is still with us he just looks different..........:singing:

20. Patters

Ratings:
    +285 / 11 / -10

It's not discriminating if there's a logical, scientific basis for a decision, though even there we have to be careful. For many years, bad science argued that blacks and women were less intelligent than white men. But to your examples. If there's evidence that 60+ year old pilots are less capable then it's reasonable to consider excluding them from flying. If a job truly needs someone to carry 150 lb on their back and men succeed disproportionately to women, then so be it.