Welcome to PatsFans.com

Should it be legal to discriminate? Check all that apply.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Mar 4, 2006.

?

Should it be legal to discriminate? Check all that apply.

1. Yes, on the basis of color

22.2%
  2. Yes, on the basis of gender

29.6%
  3. Yes, on the basis of sexual preference

22.2%
  4. Yes, on the basis of religion

22.2%
  5. Yes, on the basis of age

29.6%
  6. Yes, on the basis of political views

25.9%
  7. No, it should never be legal to discriminate

66.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +598 / 24 / -19

Of course, I'm asking in general if it should be legal to discriminate. Churches, political parties, and organizations serving a particular interest obviously have some rights in this area. (Can't force the Catholics to hire a Jew as a priest or the Democrats to employ Republicans.)

2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

What kind of a-hole thinks its OK to discriminate based on religion, political opinion and, fakrissakes-RACE?

3. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +599 / 53 / -9

#75 Jersey

Do not confuse the right of free association, with discrimination.
    A Jew, can not be a preist, no more than a priest can be a rabbi, however, if either choose to join the later, than both cases could be true.

4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +798 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

Sure. Now, I'm not talking about lynchings or anything. But if I want to hire a specific type of person, that should be my right. No, btw, I don't own a business, it's totally hypothetical.

5. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,076 / 26 / -17

Disable Jersey

I started a company and hired folks. No way we could or SHOULD have used these discriminators. Some few folks confuse the anti-discrimination issue by making dubious unsupported allegations of discrimination when the decision against them is really for other valid and cogent reasons.

I'm a bit shocked that some in this poll have said it's OK to discriminate based on these criteria.

Free association, private clubs, etc. is another matter. Not that I'd wish to be a member of clubs that disallowed folks because of the above (with the obvious exception of church groups and such.)

6. Patters

Ratings:
    +598 / 24 / -19

After BF expressed a right to discriminate in another thread and several people appeared to back him up, I was shocked too. That's what made me post the thread about there being extremists on this board, and not left-wing extremists. If these pro-discrimination views are mainstream in the Republican Party, then we'll have a major cultural clash -- it's just a matter of time.

7. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,076 / 26 / -17

Disable Jersey

I missed that thread.

8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +798 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

Let's make this clear . . . I am NOT pro discrimination I just don't think it should be illegal. Just like you think abortion should be legal but probably aren't pro abortion in most cases. You likely don't walk past pregnant women thinking "I hope she has an abortion" but you think she should be able to. Well I am not hoping for discrimination but we should all be able to think and act as we wish.

9. Patters

Ratings:
    +598 / 24 / -19

I understand BF. I presume you believe that the free market should regulate our political behavior, but the net effect of that belief, as evidenced by history, is discrimination. The proof is out there even today. There have been a number of high profile cases regarding discrimination against gays that was upheld because no laws were in place. So, the free market does not work in the case of ingrained prejudices.

10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +798 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

I have no problem with that. Now, gays (or any other group) who are beaten up, murdered or whatever, of course that's a problem because it's a violation against any person. But if I don't want to hire a gay (again, just using your example) that should be my choice.

11. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

17-6 in favor of those who think it's OK to discriminate as of 2:45 Saturday. WOW!

12. Patters

Ratings:
    +598 / 24 / -19

Most people, then, would say that you favor the right to discriminate, which to me is the same as being pro-discrimination.

13. Patters

Ratings:
    +598 / 24 / -19

It's not that bad. Click on the numbers and you'll see it's mostly the same people who favor discrimination against different groups. That said, it's still really bad.

14. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +798 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

That's ridiculous. Again, it's like saying you are pro abortion just because you are in favor of abortion rights.

15. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +798 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

Yeah, it's basically about 6-3 in favor of discrimination being illegal.

16. Patters

Ratings:
    +598 / 24 / -19

Actually, 5 different people favor at least one form of discrimination. I think it shows the true colors of the right-wing. The righties often complain that Hillary isn't sincere (and that may well be true). On the other hand, I think the same is true of Bush. He is the "moderate" face of a far more extreme party.

17. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I answered none of the above, but there are areas where I will discriminate if you use the classical definition of the word. Unless Halle Berry wanders into my life I don't see myself marrying a black girl, and Halle doesn't really count since she's pretty pale and doesn't have nappy hair. Am I a racist because of that? or will I be a racist in 20 years if I still feel that way?

18. Patters

Ratings:
    +598 / 24 / -19

sdaniels, I'm surprised. Could you really not fall in love with a person of a different color? Maybe sexual attraction is often only skin deep, but love is something quite different.

19. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Keep in mind that I don't care who marries who, but yeah, I'll admit that I've yet to meet a woman from another race that's been someone I'd consider marrying. I wouldn't say that its automatically disqualifing. One of my brothers-in-law is Hispanic and I get along fine with him and I do spoil the daylights out of my god-daughter, but I expect that if I marry at all it will be a white woman.

20. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,153 / 5 / -10

WHY IS IT:
    When 90% of white voters vote for "the white candidate" it is called racism by liberals and is denounced as disgraceful.

When 90% of black voters vote for "the black candidate" it is called progress by liberals and is hailed as a great victory.

WHY IS IT:
    When a black comedian calls a white man a "white mother f-cker" it is considered humorous.

If a white comedian should call a black man a "black mother f-cker" he would be banished from the earth.

WHY IS IT????????????????????????