PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should I feel bad for feeling this way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Lately,I have been having some issues with my opinion of our running game.I was stoked When Corey Dillion came to the pats,I've enjoyed watching his hard running over the last decade.I support the dude totally and will always remember his terific franchise setting season in his first tour with us.But as of late,I am hoping he sits 2nd to Maroney on the depth chart.This rookie has me as excited as Curtis Martin,and Robert Edwards.I just hope he doesn't suffer the same kind of luck early in his career.Neway,Is anyone else feeling the same way?

PatriotsFanMatt said:
Lately,I have been having some issues with my opinion of our running game.I was stoked When Corey Dillion came to the pats,I've enjoyed watching his hard running over the last decade.I support the dude totally and will always remember his terific franchise setting season in his first tour with us.But as of late,I am hoping he sits 2nd to Maroney on the depth chart.This rookie has me as excited as Curtis Martin,and Robert Edwards.I just hope he doesn't suffer the same kind of luck early in his career.Neway,Is anyone else feeling the same way?
No...2nd?? The rook has a lot to learn..I would rather that teh rook works his way back into it..having a 1-2 punch like Dillon and Maroney will be great!!! Imagine both in the backfield??

Ok,yeah.maybe that's a bit extreme.I just hope they give Maroney enough carries to keep corey fresh.I'm hoping to see Maroney with 3-5 TD's and 500yards at least...Don't get me wrong I still am stoked to have dillion with us,I just sense a huge year for our backfield guys this year.

PatriotsFanMatt said:
Ok,yeah.maybe that's a bit extreme.I just hope they give Maroney enough carries to keep corey fresh.I'm hoping to see Maroney with 3-5 TD's and 500yards at least...Don't get me wrong I still am stoked to have dillion with us,I just sense a huge year for our backfield guys this year.

Marhoney in the 400-600 yard range
Dillon in the 1000-1200 yard range
Faulk in the 150-250 yard range (rushing only)

Now those would be defense crushing numbers.

Last edited:
You shouldn't feel bad, you just want what you think is best for the team. He'll be a change of pace (from big and average speed to average size and very fast, not your typical little CoP guy) guy for a while but by midseason when he knows the protections and pass routes better, he'll be trusted more. It will be one of the really interesting situations as the season moves on. Far better than starting Heath Evans at times last year.

I think people forget just how freaking awesome Dillon was his first year with the Pats.

In the 40 plus year history of the Pats, no runningback was as dominant as Dillon.

And lets be fair, he wasn't exactly running through huge wholes either. Not bad, but not huge.

I believe I saw a stat where Dillon had the most yards after contact of any runningback.

Needless to say, Dillon played injured last season.

While I think expecting a 2004 style performance out of him is unfair, I think we will see much more of that then last years performance.

I hope to see Dillon the number 1 back this season with Maroney keeping him fresh, and busting a few big ones.

Bingo, Sarge, you got Bingo!

Dillon was a flat maniac in 2004, he HURT people.

Let me tell everybody right now: We will be LUCKY if Maroney EVER does what Corey did in 2004.

We WON the Superbowl because Corey was able to hide the fact that our pass protection SUCKED. Our run blocking was not that great either.

We could not have won back-to-back superbowls with just defense alone, we needed the spark.

That was the best Pats team in history, and Corey was a huge factor in that.

It is very unlikely that Maroney will be a 10,000 yard+ CAREER running back. The odds are against it happening for any rookie, even Reggie Bush. Corey also pass blocks well and still gets open after cut blocking somebody to the ground, like in the first Bills game in 2004.

I would rather have Corey back to 2004 shape than count on a rookie. Right now Maroney can't even pass protect.

NFA~!

Last edited:
Also a huge Dillon fan,I agree he will come back with a vengance this year....

pass protection, there's the rub for Maroney

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
Bingo, Sarge, you got Bingo!
Dillon was a flat maniac in 2004, he HURT people.
Let me tell everybody right now: We will be LUCKY if Maroney EVER does what Corey did in 2004.
We WON the Superbowl because Corey was able to hide the fact that our pass protection SUCKED. Our run blocking was not that great either.
We could not have won back-to-back superbowls with just defense alone, we needed the spark.
That was the best Pats team in history, and Corey was a huge factor in that.
It is very unlikely that Maroney will be a 10,000 yard+ CAREER running back. The odds are against it happening for any rookie, even Reggie Bush. Corey also pass blocks well and still gets open after cut blocking somebody to the ground, like in the first Bills game in 2004.
I would rather have Corey back to 2004 shape than count on a rookie. Right now Maroney can't even pass protect.
NFA~!

First, Maroney's got to demonstrate that he can hold on to the ball.
Second, the rookie's gotta demonstrate he can put some DLs and LBs on the ground, maybe at the ankles. corey pops'em in the chest and stops them cold----but that's too much to ask.
gotta protect your most valuable asset.
BB won't let him do much until he demonstrates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, bingo for Sarge.
Yes, keeping each other fresh would be best.
But don't forget Dillon will get injured.

yeah, how 'bout some T-formation stuff?

Pats726 said:
No...2nd?? The rook has a lot to learn..I would rather that teh rook works his way back into it..having a 1-2 punch like Dillon and Maroney will be great!!! Imagine both in the backfield??
well you got a bruiser and sa catback.
seems the closed- or open- T went out with the Pleistocene era.
it would be like BB to use it because no NFL defenses have seen it lately.

Yes ofcourse it is confirmed Dillon will get injured throughout the season. Ofcourse...

No there is no confirmation Dillon will get a very nagging injury like he did last year. He is 100% good now and is doing great so far at training camp. He pretty much already has the starting job locked, easy. If he continues what hes doing, no doubt. He will bust for 1000 yards at least. Maroney is the future but dont push this guy to run for 1000 yards in his rookie season because of all the hype he is getting. He'll do well and Dillon will help him greatly.

I cant deny...I have been watching 3 games to glory vs the Colts too much. Corey "Clock Killin" Dillon. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
5 Rings for Brady!! said:
KDO5: And that WAS a touchdown, by the way! ;)
Yes that one got on my NERVES!!!!!!!!

Damn zebras.

But you gotta love Brady's solid running up the middle of the Colts D on the next play! :singing:

I cant deny...I have been watching 3 games to glory vs the Colts too much. Corey "Clock Killin" Dillon.

Have you popped in the 40-21 tape lately?

It was more like Corey "Drive Killin" Dillon.

Yankees/Colts said:

Patriots spank the Colts something like seven times in a row (l dont want to bother looking it up) and you come in here making that statement.

p.s. How did that HFA work for you last year?

Willie55 said:
Patriots spank the Colts something like seven times in a row (l dont want to bother looking it up) and you come in here making that statement.
Don't be hard on him, he's probably only about 12 years old and wasn't allowed to watch the other games by Mommy and Daddy.

Yankees/Colts said:

Yet, you guys still couldn't get it done last year.. :rolleyes:

Yankees/Colts said:

I dunno, its a little different when its playoffs and mid season game. And yes that game meant a whole lot more because if the Colts won they problably could have beaten the Steelers. But its just so fun to watch more of Peyton crying like a baby about things. It cracked me up after the Dillon should have been touchdown, they're down 10 points the Pats are on the 1 yard line and Peytons wailing his arms signaling no touchdown. Ok, I luv three games to glory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back