PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should have gone for it !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

abdul7

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Firstly greetings to Pats fans all over the world, and just to say although heartbroken after the game you just have to hand it to the Colts on how they came back. No shame in defeat and just as proud to be a New England Patriot fan after that loss which ruined my biggest dream ! The dream that one day i would witness the revenge Super Bowl against the Bears. Thats when i started being a fan of New England when i was at University in London, just over 21years ago. So close huh for that revenge Bowl.!!! Never mind the main point i'd like to share is 2 mistakes on the Same drive that killed our hopes: 1. How Big was that 5 yard penalty on 12 players in the huddle ? 2. on 4th and 3 ,, Game on the line to the Super Bowl, and by that point we knew our D was finished and they looked VERY tired on tv, Why why didnt we go for it ? Ok if we fail they get the ball around mid field and maybe score with more time on the clock for Tommy to win. Just my reasoning to the biggest mistake we made in the game.

Other than that i cant wait for the new season and so much talk about our team going down !!?? I bet we will be back again and stronger. Inshallah { God Willing } Take care all and be proud of what your great Team have achieved. Peace and Love from Bahrain. Abdul.

The more I thought about it, the more I agree that it was a mistake not to have a 4 down mindset. I suppose that they thought that the D could hold Indy from a TD if they had to go far enough, but it was clear that Indy would score something.

I agree. In hindsight, that was were the game was ultimately lost.

can we let it die?

Heh Abdul, besides football heartbreak, how are you doing?

No football coach except a moron like Mike Martz or Barry Switzer even thinks about going for it there.

You are on your own 46 yard line and have the lead. You don't get it they have 10-12 yards to go to be in tying FG range. They have only 46 yards to go for the winning TD. The play is to punt it, pin them back, and make them come the long field.

The problem wasn't the call or the mindset. It was the punter making a terrible punt.

Hey Box,, i am fine thanks for asking buddy. However the heartbreak is still there ! Was going to fly all the way to Miami , My eldest son 18 is one Big Tom Brady and Patriots fan and now i have the youngest 9 hooked !!! They saw how i felt the next morning. AAAAAHHH still hurts the way we were sooo close. We have the 5 th Fleet based here in Bahrain and i have a couple of Navy Officers who called me to say tough luck. They know what a crazy fan i am and although one was a Buffalo fan,, he really felt for me. Anyway you take care Box, and you too NEM ,,and my other buddy Schmesy. Peace. Abdul

No football coach except a moron like Mike Martz or Barry Switzer even thinks about going for it there.

You are on your own 46 yard line and have the lead. You don't get it they have 10-12 yards to go to be in tying FG range. They have only 46 yards to go for the winning TD. The play is to punt it, pin them back, and make them come the long field.

The problem wasn't the call or the mindset. It was the punter making a terrible punt.

Morons generally think in absolutes when a more detailed analysis may be in order. Generally, what you say is true. But, in this situation, with our D out of gas and Manning en fuego, going for it was the smart play.

Let's put it another way. Who would you trust to make one big play: Tom Brady or eric alexander, D-o-n-e Tedy Bruschi and company?

But, in this situation, with our D out of gas and Manning en fuego, going for it was the smart play.

The Colts last two drives were 1 big play, then 3 plays and a FG followed by a 3 and out. There was reason to think we could keep them out of the end zone, especially if a good punt pins them inside the 10.

Let's put it another way. Who would you trust to make one big play: Tom Brady or eric alexander, D-o-n-e Tedy Bruschi and company?

Brady had his chance to make a big play on the 3rd and 4 play - him and Troy Brown. Troy ran the wrong route and Tom forced it to a covered Brown when he had Evans open.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but they should not have gone for it.

Make them earn that FG or TD! They almost had a TO when Wayne bobbled the ball!

Also should have recovered the forced fumble at the goal line too.

There's 2 more plays that could have turned the game in the Pats favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes