Should have gone for 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

abdul7

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Quick question please !

Hi to all,,and i am still sick after last night's loss. To lose the last two games in such manner and by a combined total of 3 points really sucks. So friends the question i wanted to ask,,dont know if anyone asked but shoudnt have we gone for 2 points after the TD in the second half .? Why leave it at 6 points ? I had a gut feeling that 9 points would be dangerous if they scored a TD. Just me thinking during the game. Thanks for your thoughts on this. My prediction before the season we would go again 13-3 ,,,and after last night i think we are good enough to do it again. Regards. Abdul

Re: Quick question please !

I asked the same question.

I suppose it was too early in the game, I guess.

Last edited:

Hi to all,,and i am still sick after last night's loss. To lose the last two games in such manner and by a combined total of 3 points really sucks. So friends the question i wanted to ask,,dont know if anyone asked but shoudnt have we gone for 2 points after the TD in the second half .? Why leave it at 6 points ? I had a gut feeling that 9 points would be dangerous if they scored a TD. Just me thinking during the game. Thanks for your thoughts on this. My prediction before the season we would go again 13-3 ,,,and after last night i think we are good enough to do it again. Regards. Abdul

It was way too early in the game and at that point of the game we were moving the ball at will. If the Pats dont make the 2 point conversion then Balt is within a Td and a 2 pt play for tying so at that point we kept it a two score lead.

Last edited:

If we were up 8 points, went for 2, and then missed, then the opponent could tie it with one score (TD + 2 pt conversion).

You always want to be up by two scores, not one.

The risk/reward is just not there. Sure, we all had a nagging concern with the possibility of a nine point lead becoming a two point lead and giving up the ball, but the odds were with us in going for the sure 1 there, IMO.

Thanks Joey,,,once we were up by 2 on that last drive i knew we would lose by a field goal !! Had that sick feeling. Wish we would have used up more time on that drive. I was calling run run run ,,,to use up the time and becoz they were blitizing on every play. Oh well ,,Bills will have to pay for this. Cheers.

My question, and perhaps this was covered and there's an obvious answer I missed:

Why didn't the Patriots call timeout at the end, rather than let Baltimore run down the clock? I know they saved a timeout for the "icing" (which almost did work), but didn't they have at least one more? If so, why not stop the clock and leave time for a kickoff and maybe one play after?

Does anyone else think we should have gone for the 2 point conversion after one of the later TDs? After Edelman scored I was screaming for them to go for 2. In this type of game you need every point you can get. I know that you shouldn't chase points too early but I thought in this game we should have done it.

Does anyone else think we should have gone for the 2 point conversion after one of the later TDs? After Edelman scored I was screaming for them to go for 2. In this type of game you need every point you can get. I know that you shouldn't chase points too early but I thought in this game we should have done it.

would have gotten a flag for overachieving.......:bricks::bricks:

Nope.

21-20 is the score.

Pats make it 26-21 with a TD.

They go for 2. Fail.

Score is 26-21.

Patriots tack on a FG, make it 29-21.

Ravens come down, score a TD, then go for 2 and convert.

Tied 29-29.

You can equally argue that if every point matters you shouldn't give one away by failing on a 2.
As it turned out we were up 9. Having failed at a 2 would have made that a 1 score game. Additionally if we added a 3 later, which we almost did, the lead would have been 12 and had to be 2 TDs to win, where a missed 2 would have made it 11, and a TD,2 + FG could have tied.

I know a TD when up 6 seems like a reason for 2, but too many things can happen later than make the lost point more valuable than the chased one.

A coach in this situation should have enough confidence in his defense that they can win a 2 point game.

Perhaps Belichick won't be as trusting in the defense in a similar situation later in the year.

YES
I was afraid of what happened and it did.

no..they played it right

Nope.

21-20 is the score.

They go for 2. Fail.

Score is 26-21.

Tied 29-29.

Also at 26-21 two FG's take the lead. It was way to early, this is just monday morning quarterbacking.

Nope.

21-20 is the score.

They go for 2. Fail.

Score is 26-21.

Tied 29-29.

Your scenario reminded me of SB 38 with Carolina......best SB ever IMO

Good solid strategy to kick the extra points at that stage of game. As a consolation, if Flacco needed a TD late to win the game, Ravens likely win in that scenario also.

I brought it up in the game thread when the Pats went up 20-14 and felt that they should have gone for 2 to go up by a TD. The offense was rolling at the time.

It was met with lukewarm enthusiasm.

In retrospect that 1 point difference was a game winner for the Ravens.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye