PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should Eugene Wilson stay at safety or switch to cornerback?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
What will be Eugene Wilson's role be with the team in 2007? The reason why I ask is because there is a possibility that the Pats draft safety in the first round. If they do, would you want to see Wilson go back to his more natural position at cb or stay at safety. I think moving Wilson to CB would create some great competition with Ellis Hobbs in training camp if the Pats draft safety early.

depends on who we draft..if we draft a CB or Safety early..they will compete and if a safety is better than Wilson..Wilson will get some work @ corner..if the rookie needs a good amount of work..then we Wilson will continue at safety but i see him still working at CB/S like last training camp

Didn't they have him at nickel in camp? I think Hobbs has one of the two starting corner spots on lockdown at this point, so I think we'll have to wait to see how the draft and everything with Asante plays out.

He should freakin' stay HEALTHY!

Eugene Wilson should play wherever he can best help the team. If we bring in Nelson or Merriweather and they are ready to start (and represent an upgrade over Wilson) then he should move to corner. If we don't find a better immediate option, then he should remain at safety.

Gino would make an excellent nickelback if we drafted Michael Griffin or Josh Gattis.

He should freakin' stay HEALTHY!
So should Rodney!

And I like him at Safety. But we'll see what happens if we draft a S in the first round.

Last edited:
I'd say CB is a more valuable position overall. Especially if we draft a safety I could see Wilson moving back to CB. Depends on how good the safety is, and how the competition in training camp goes too. Nobody is going to be handed a starting job just because they got drafted.

Or Wilson could be the nickel safety he was for a while last year when Rodney Hawkins and Wilson were all on the field together to go along with Samuel and Hobbs.

I think that it is completely up to what happens with the draft. He has played a few years now (when not hurt) at safety. I think Wilson is best at S, but if Belichick/Pioli go safety in the 1st and want that player to start, I have no problem with Wilson going at CB. He is, IMO very versatile and I think that Belichick will use him to his maximum capacity.

I think the Pats are a *much* better team if they can draft a S that ends up being good enough to start next to Harrison Day 1.

Then they can move Wilson to first DB off the bench, where he can come in on nickel packages to play either CB or S.

Plus, when one of the safeties inevitably gets hurt in the Super Bowl, Wilson can step right in to save the day. :)

Why shift Wilson to cornerback in what is probably his last season

with the team? Even though he was a cornerback in college, all of his

experience in regular season NFL games has been at free safety.

Why shift Wilson to cornerback in what is probably his last season

with the team? Even though he was a cornerback in college, all of his

experience in regular season NFL games has been at free safety.

Why start him if a rookie could end up doing his job better? IMO, he's much better served as a versatile nickel.

Plus, if he doesn't start at safety and has a "down" year, he will be easier to resign.

What will be Eugene Wilson's role be with the team in 2007? The reason why I ask is because there is a possibility that the Pats draft safety in the first round. If they do, would you want to see Wilson go back to his more natural position at cb or stay at safety. I think moving Wilson to CB would create some great competition with Ellis Hobbs in training camp if the Pats draft safety early.

I'm assuming you forgot about Randall Gay who will probably start at CB before Hobbs.

I'm assuming you forgot about Randall Gay who will probably start at CB before Hobbs.

no he wont. Hobbs started before him this year before Gay got hurt anyways.

I think he should stay at safety, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't pay attention to the position in the draft as well. I think the change to CB is easier said than done, and if it was the best fit it would have been made already (or he wouldn't have been moved from CB in the first place.) Wilson has been plain nasty at safety at times (in a good way) and I just hope he can get back to that level.

Maybe the safer position for Geno at this time would be CB. Perhaps then he could actually complete a full season.

What it all might come down to, of course, is how many Safeties are drafted/signed. I am hoping that enough quality Safeties are brought to TC, so Wilson can provide depth and youth at CB.

I can't even remember how he looked when he did play at the start of the season....any thoughts?

Missing tackles... like the other DBs.

no he was actually saving us a few times when everyone missed tackles. He tackled McGahee alone in open field twice preventing a big score. he missed a few tackles but no worse than the rest of the time by any chance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back