Welcome to PatsFans.com

Should Borges get booted from the NFL Hall of Fame Committee..

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by DarrylS, Mar 6, 2007.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

I vote yes, this is a no brainer.. forgot how he must have been once thought of as a "prestigious writer", guess his greed and venom for BB have clouded his vision and led to early senility. My suggestion for a replacement from this region, if it is a regional thing, is Tom Curran.
  2. ChoWZa

ChoWZa Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Yes. Blatant Plagiarism.

BTW a poll would have made this thread more exciting.
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  3. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Yes. Plagiarism is the worst offense you can commit as a writer. It is {should be} a career ending offense. Likewise, it should immediatly disqualify you from any entitlements that "being a writer" may offer..........

Such as HOF voting.
  4. Fencer

Fencer Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -1

HOF voters are pretty much determined by seniority on their hometown newspapers.

I.e., the decision is effectively bucked back to the Globe.

Besides: HOF choices are based largely on understanding guys as well as their hometown writers do. So that's about the one football-related task Borges IS well-suited for. :D

Seriously, his columns explaining his HOF opinions are generally among his very few intelligent and interesting ones each year.
  5. aabtec

aabtec Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He should be fired and booted....
  6. edzo44

edzo44 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0

#50 Jersey

So how's he going to "explain" the expected vicious, "unbiased" rant against BB when he gets nominated to the HOF?!?! :D
  7. E Belichick Unum

E Belichick Unum Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You know, this will be an unpopular opinion, but I will mess Ron every Sunday. His notes column is is great. I have never been able to forgive him for the hack job he did on the 85 Pats, but he is usually right about everything except the Patriots and Belichick. I just hope somebody else picks up the notes column.
  8. ChoWZa

ChoWZa Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Well.. a sportswriter for the globe right on everything but the Pats and BB... Doesn't leave much else =p

He sucks at the draft too.
  9. smg93

smg93 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

yes he should.
  10. Fumblerooski

Fumblerooski Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes, when you live by the sword you die by the sword. Put him out of his pathetic misery and us too.
  11. PatsMyBoyz!

PatsMyBoyz! Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

His bias alone should preclude him but if not that,then his flip-flopping stances should. If all that's not enough,plagerism should be the nail in that coffin-absolutely. Journalism has come under enough scrutiny lately and it's about time they cleaned up their act. If plagerism isn't a reason to ban one from the Committee,then what is?
    Letting him continue there sets a bad precedent and is a bad example to young,aspiring writers-jmo.
  12. mtbykr

mtbykr Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I vote yes....it's obvious he can't be unbiased!
  13. solman

solman Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

The Hall of fame claims otherwise:

The clear implication here is that either the Globe would have to fire him, or he would have to choose to leave the committee (or be pressured into leaving).
  14. borg

borg Rookie

Ratings:
    +100 / 3 / -11

As you said, his "Football Notes" column is spot on because he plagiarizes his work from reporters who actually put in the hours to gain the information. And as you say," he is usually right about everything except the Patriots and Belichick". But there in lies the problem. When he does the work, ie., the Patriots beat, his personal grudges against BB and the Pats have clouded his judgement. His evaluation of talent, particularly drafted players is so suspect that his readership openly scoffs at his projections. He is great when he plagiarizes, horrible when he relies on his own thoughts.The guy has now lost any remaining credibility he may have had before this pilfering.
  15. Sean Pa Patriot

Sean Pa Patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I dont know I know his voice helped Andre Tippet get into the top 11
  16. borg

borg Rookie

Ratings:
    +100 / 3 / -11

"All appointments are of the open-end variety and can be terminated only by retirement or resignation, as long as the member continues to attend meetings regularly. "
    The way I read this, Borges can remain a lifer as long as he doesn't retire or quit the HOF Board. Nothing about the newspaper sponsorship.
  17. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +421 / 5 / -9

#61 Jersey

The notes column is a function of the newspaper, not the writer. Anyone writing football for the Globe will have a Sunday notes column. The reason you observe Borges being "right about everything except the Patriots and Belichick" is because that information comes directly from wire services and other pre-packaged sources. He just cherry picks and condenses.
  18. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

The vote in NE resides with the Globe. It was Will McDonough's for many years, which is why Andre isn't in the HOF thus far, and it "passed" to Borges in some sort of secret ceremony when Will died. At the time the rationale was Borges was the senior football writer at the Globe, hinting that Mannix of the Herald wasn't even considered. Perhaps not the Globe per se but the Football/Sports Writers Associationin NE vote the honor. Either way it is Ron's now unless he resigns. I would imagine he would if asked to by the right entity, just not sure who would need to do that asking.
  19. pats60

pats60 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I wonder if he will still write for MSNBC and Pro football weekly
  20. solman

solman Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I believe that, in the context of the page, retire meant retiring from the newspaper that they represent. I assume that getting fired from that same paper should also do the job.