PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should Bill have punted on that 4th down?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Go for it?

• Go for it!

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • Punt it!

Votes: 31 23.8%
  • Go for it, but different playcall....

Votes: 59 45.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked the gutsy call. It wasn't a terrible play call and It's not always going to work. Just think if we had attempted a short pass and failed, all you guys would be saying "We shoud've ran the ball!". It just isn't characteristic of BB to punt in that situation.

Exactly. Execution was an issue all day for the offense, particularly the OL. Bill directly challenged them and they spit the bit.

The OL was getting manhandled all day so they should of punted. The fan in me wanted to see them go for it tho :)

I love the fact we win the game and this is all people have to talk about.

It's almost as if we have become so spoiled we rail against the trivial.

Be thankful for coach B. Be very thankful.

How many other teams out there right now would take him.

Hell yes you go for it.

Problem is and coach would tell you this. We were playing soft. He is building character.

I would have punted.

But I like the confidence BB shows in the team. Just wish it had worked out better. But we escaped with the win anyway.

What I REALLY wish is that they hadn't allowed them to convert an onside kick.

What I REALLY wish is that they hadn't allowed them to convert an onside kick.

I agree. The team was totally unprepared for that, and though it wasn't an obvious onside kick formation, it was an obvious onside kick situation.

I agree. The team was totally unprepared for that, and though it wasn't an obvious onside kick formation, it was an obvious onside kick situation.

I know! After the score, I said out loud, "So now we have another onside kick coming...." I simply cannot believe they were unprepared for it. Perhaps they overthought the situation....seeing how well the defense performed perhaps they figured Norv was more likely to put faith in his defense?

Indeed. In-game awareness simply wasn't there by the coaching staff on that one. We should have been extremely prepared for that.

Indeed. In-game awareness simply wasn't there by the coaching staff on that one. We should have been extremely prepared for that.

Can't you all just admit that was a hell of a play by San Diego instead of blaming our coaches for poor preparation. That is the epitome of arm chair quarterbacking if I've ever sen it.

He should have punted it. I certainly hope Belichick wasn't thinking about the Colts call last year.

That was the right call in the Colts game. Peyton was on the other side of the field, and the Colts defense was not that scary.

The Chargers had stuffed the running game all day, and their defense was pretty formidable. Yes, Rivers is having a great year, but he's not Peyton Manning.

PUNT IT.

But Rivers and the SD offense were eating up huge chunks of yardage. Gates was getting in on the act. I think going for it is the right call, but I wonder about the play.

The SD D was overloaded to the side of the BFGE run. Connolly as FB blocking screams run play IMO.

These failed calls feel so much better when we win. :)

good idea going for it......... terrible play call.

should have been a quick pass to Welker, Hernandez or Woody.

Can't you all just admit that was a hell of a play by San Diego instead of blaming our coaches for poor preparation. That is the epitome of arm chair quarterbacking if I've ever sen it.

Thanks, but I think I'll do both. Excellent call by San Diego and good kick by Brown. Terrible job on the part of the coaching staff for having the team prepared for it.

breer's opinion fwiw
@DDuggan21 I'd punt. The Patriots know the damage such a call can do to a defense. Fourth-and-2 went beyond 1 play last year for that D.

although most of his tweets are just talking about how SD blew this game

You could not script worse ending for Bolts. New England bailed out by San Diego special teams -- out-of-bounds KO + false start on FG = L

I liked them going for it, although I prolly would have run the upback away from protection and motion with a backside seal...but thats just me.

The other alternative I see would have been to try to bait SD into jumping then taking the delay call and punting from 5 yards deeper.

Last edited:
i rarely antagonize or personally insult others who I disagree with, but whoever thinks this was a good idea is a complete homer. if dungy or mangini or tomlin did it, you would be absolutely raking them over the coals.

Horrible call made worse by the dumb play. If you want to go for it with the RBs we have, either sneak it or action pass it.

That said, that was punt all the way.

Last edited:
I supported the 4th and 2 call last year. This one I honestly can't back or criticize either.

The real problem was the playcalling on 2nd and 3rd down. 2nd and 1 should eventually end up in a first down 100% of the time absolutely no excuses. O'brien needs to get his **** together, he's improved since last season but there's still work to be done.

If we were going to run Green-Ellis behind Connelly as fullback, we should have punted the ball.

As was the case last year, I would have been fine with a short pass play, with Brady having the option of the sneak.

patsylicious - dont be so fast to blame Obrien. I have to believe that not only does the HC make the decision to go for it but also (especially with the time out) have "some input" in the playcall. I can't imagine BB just says "go for it" and then he lets Obrien call some horrible play. Correct me if I am wrong - this is just how I imagine a game pending decision is made.

I supported the 4th and 2 call last year. This one I honestly can't back or criticize either.

The real problem was the playcalling on 2nd and 3rd down. 2nd and 1 should eventually end up in a first down 100% of the time absolutely no excuses. O'brien needs to get his **** together, he's improved since last season but there's still work to be done.

Faulk got the 4th and 2 last year but the ref gave a **** spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back