PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should # 14 Steve Grogan retired by the Pats ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

italian pat patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
what is your opinion on this issue ? at the moment we have allready 7 numbers retired (20,40,57,73,78,79,89)

probably in the future 54,80 and 12 will also be retired...

''too many'' for considering Grogan ?

Last edited:
There always seems to be confusion about the criteria for the jersey retiring and what it takes for that to happen and the difference between the Patriots Hall of Fame and the Ring of Honor or whatever it is.

But by any yardstick, I'd say Grogan was deserving of that honour, although I would have Andre Tippett ahead of him.

There always seems to be confusion about the criteria for the jersey retiring and what it takes for that to happen and the difference between the Patriots Hall of Fame and the Ring of Honor or whatever it is.

But by any yardstick, I'd say Grogan was deserving of that honour, although I would have Andre Tippett ahead of him.

I agree but it's so weird seeing Testaverde out there (on the sidelines) wearing #14, I was a huge Grogan fan growing up.

his number was # 56 ?

Grogan should definately be retired. Maybe one might want to debate the numbers but for me, if the numbers are close, it winds up being more about heart and work ethic - an example for Patriots for years to come.

I think the organization seems to feel that Tippett's a good role model too - though I'd retire Grogran's number before his.

his number was # 56 ?

Jon Morris 7 time AllPro

Houston Antwine 6 time AllPro

Ray Clayborn 3 allpro

These aren't even in the Patriots hall of fame.

Grogan was a good tough player, but he shouldn't be in the Pats Hall ahead of these three and others. No favoritism for quarterback, please.

A healthy Grogan wasn't even the starter over Eason.
He's Behind Bledsoe, Brady and maybe Parilli among Patriots QBs.

Last edited:
How about Julius Adams, #85 he labored in the D trenches for something like 14 years and made all pro several times. Or Darryl Stingley, some gave all.

I think you need to differentiate between retiring a number and honoring a player, thus the need for a ring of honor type thing aside from number retirement. The Pats are building something right now to house a lot of this stuff and maybe they will figure out how to honor all of these great players.

I think Grogan should be honored - but retiring jerseys is a limited venture (sooner or later you're going to run out of numbers!), so I'd go a ring of fame inside the stadium. Wouldn't it be awesome to see the names of former Patriots greats along the inside rim of the stadium?

Grogan played for 16 years with the Patriots. I think his leadership and service should be celebrated.

Yes, Andre Tippet was #56

i have read an article where also Parilli, Buoniconti are mentioned and, in the future, Brady , Brown, Bruschi and Vinatieri.

Of course Brady is 100% (obviously...)

How about Julius Adams, #85 he labored in the D trenches for something like 14 years and made all pro several times. Or Darryl Stingley, some gave all.

I think you need to differentiate between retiring a number and honoring a player, thus the need for a ring of honor type thing aside from number retirement. The Pats are building something right now to house a lot of this stuff and maybe they will figure out how to honor all of these great players.

Great idea (man I type slow)!

Grogan is in the Pats HOF. By rights there are many Pats that should be in there also that aren't.

You can't retire too many Jerseys in football anyway.

He should be happy to be in the hall considering the deserving Pats that aren't.

With upwards of 80 players on a roster each season and only 99 numbers available in the NFL it really needs to be limited to Pro Football HOF inductees, and at that only those who played the majority of their career or achieved their most HOF worthy moments here.

Brady, Seymour and Vinatieri would appear to be likely HOF inductees from this team based on getting into the Hall because of what they accomplished here (minimum 3 rings and for two counting). Rodney could be as well based on 2 and counting, not to mention Law who won 3 here if puts up some numbers in the twilight of his career on the tour and Tedy with 3 and counting. And who knows then if guys like Warren and Wilfork or Vrabel don't grade out when all is said and done as HOF'ers based on their championship performances.

You just can't do that for guys you loved when the team was pretty bad given the numerical constraints. Not to mention it devalues the significance of the honor when you then do give it to those who truly earned it.

You cant retire every number there should only 3 people maybee 4 retired numbers.. Hannah , Cappaleti, Haynes and Tippett.. All are or should be in the hall of fame.. Bob Dee, Steve Nelson, Bruce Armstrong, good players, and should be in all in a ring of honor.. I love Grogan as much as anybody, but the next player who will have a retired number is Number 12...

Yes, GROGAN was the man, and is a big advisor to TB on occasion. YES YES YES!

The only players whose numbers should be retired are those in the NFL HOF who had their defining career moments in a Patriot uniform. There is currently only one man who merits that distinction, John Hannah. The other franchise greats should be honored with permanent exhibits and bronze reliefs in the new Patriot HOF museum. IMO Buoniconti, Haynes, et. al. do not merit retired numbers either, because they became icons playing for other organizations. Grogan was a good but not great QB whom we all loved, but passage of time should not influence us to make his accomplishments, though admirable, greater than they really were.

definitely retired: #12

All other currently retired numbers should be brought back into circulation once the players who wore them are honored with exhibits at the Patriot museum.

Last edited:
Everyone loves Grogan but there is no way you can retire his number.

The only guy on the current team whose number I'd retire is Brady.

Definitely not.

You can't retire #14...that honor has got to be for only the once in a lifetime special players. Players that defined or changed the scoop of the franchise. To date, the only two players that define that are:

John Hannah
Tom Brady

You can't retire #14...that honor has got to be for only the once in a lifetime special players. Players that defined or changed the scoop of the franchise. To date, the only two players that define that are:

John Hannah
Tom Brady

I can't argue with that.

Everyone loves Grogan but there is no way you can retire his number.

The only guy on the current team whose number I'd retire is Brady.

#80 should be retired THIS YEAR while he is still playing, forcing Troy to wear a different number for the remaining games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes