Shortstop

bmf31c

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Alex Gonzalez
Julio Lugo

Not a whole lot of options.

????

we are probably going to go with Cora and Pedroia at SS. Gonzalas would be ok. You are right, not a whole lot out there.

well

There is not a whole lot out there, which is why i thought they had a deal in place when they dropped rent-a-wreck. He was a bust, but they shouldn't have gotten rid of him unless there were other options; sticking with cora or pedrosia is just not a way to run the 2nd highest payroll in the game. I would like to see them trade (mabey wells although i wouild prefer him to be in the national league) for Orlando Cabrera. The angles are looking to move him becuase they have a cheaper alternative. We already admitted we made a bust with rent-a-wreck when we could have kept o-cab for cheaper.....so let's keep sucking up the pride and get this guy back. he performed great for us and was stellar in the field which i really miss. Let's not forget all those plays he made in 04 that went unnoticed because it wasn't a winning hit. he also brings a lot of chemistry back to the team---get him and bring on the handshakes!!!! :rocker:

I was very disappointed when they let Cabrerra leave.

That would be great if he came back. He may not be a Tejeda but I would feel a whole lot better about the shortstop position for the Sox.

Although, I don't think The Angels are about to let him go easily.

well

363839 said:

That would be great if he came back. He may not be a Tejeda but I would feel a whole lot better about the shortstop position for the Sox.

I don't remember exactly what it was,,,but i know there was a trade discussed although i think it was a multiteam deal and so it fell throuh. I hope it happens--we are not getting miggy baring a miracle---so o-cab is def the best option out there if we can get him. I know we want wells to go to a NL team, but that is a west coast team so ship him there for o-cab if they will take him!

363839 said:

The Angels were purpotedly trying to give Cabrera away this offseason, because he's not very good and his contract is terrible.

I'm not sure the specifics of the contracts, but Cabrera was signed at 4/32. If he was paid $6 mil in 2005, it must be backloaded, which makes it even worse. Renteria, of course, was signed at 4/40.

There's a significant drop in offense between the two. 26.6 vorp to 19.1. 91 OPS+ to 82. I'm not sure how big the defensive difference is, but fielding % isn't the way to show it.

And pointing out that someone's contract may be slightly better than Renteria's isn't a high selling point.

I guess my point was, the Red Sox would have been better off signing Cabrera for less money rather than Renteria last year. Now they are chasing after players they all ready had or could of had. IE Cabrera, Payton, and Roberts. Cabrera overall is/was a better value than Renteria.
Right now we have a giant hole up the middle and there is no one in center to back it up.

Johnny Mac said:
The Angels were purpotedly trying to give Cabrera away this offseason, because he's not very good and his contract is terrible.

Wow! This is surprising to hear that the Angels are unhappy with him. He did an outstanding job for us for the 04 run.
I'd take him back in heartbeat.

Of course, at the right price.

OK. I just checked his stats for this year.

He batted .257 with 8 HR. 27 stolen bases. I guess he could've used a little more offensive production.
But he only made 7 errors in the field and that's where Orlando's value lies.

That's why I'd still take him back in a heartbeat.

Championship teams have great gloves at SS.

bmf31c said:
I guess my point was, the Red Sox would have been better off signing Cabrera for less money rather than Renteria last year. Now they are chasing after players they all ready had or could of had. IE Cabrera, Payton, and Roberts. Cabrera overall is/was a better value than Renteria.
And rather not have either of those players with their contracts, and now we don't.

363839 said:
OK. I just checked his stats for this year.

He batted .257 with 8 HR. 27 stolen bases. I guess he could've used a little more offensive production.
But he only made 7 errors in the field and that's where Orlando's value lies.

That's why I'd still take him back in a heartbeat.

Championship teams have great gloves at SS.
Cora has a great glove and won't cost $8 million a year.

Last edited:
If we can get Alex Gonzalez for a cheap 1 year deal we should do that. He is a good defensive player and his power numbers could go up in Fenway. Plus after that hopefully Pedroia would be ready to play fulltime next season and Gonzalez can leave Boston for a big payday somewhere else after he got a ring.

Johnny Mac said:
And rather not have either of those players with their contracts, and now we don't.

Cora has a great glove and won't cost $8 million a year.

I agree, neither is a good option. If Cora can hit around .280 and keep his OBP up he should work as the everyday guy. That being said I don't think Theo is going to do it.

bmf31c said:
If Cora can hit around .280 and keep his OBP up he should work as the everyday guy.

ANY good defensive shortstop who can hit around .280 and have a good OBP should work...

Therein lies the concen... Cora's a lifetime .244 hitter. Last season he hit .232 and had a .275 OBP - and that was his "breakout" year because he actually walked more than he struck out for the first time in his career.

I can deal with a shortstop who is not an offensive force - but if you have too many players that have sub par averages it winds up dragging the rest of the team down.

An offensively balanced team will have higher production than one with peaks and valleys, because if players aren't on base they can't be driven in.

I believe this team can still compete but if having major player gaps at center field and shortstop going into the season is part of their plan, then its a pretty crappy plan.

I'd actually like to see Pedroia get a shot at short, but that probably wouldn't happen until later in the year, if at all. I'm fine with a Cora/Graff combo, which was the indicated plan for 2B until Loretta was acquired, as long as CF is addressed well.

ya

patriotspride said:
im just glad they only gave him a year .

I don't see how he is much of an upgrade over cora? Unless they just plan on Cora being the utility guy and dumping graff! A lot of money to spend on a guy who really isn't an upgrade---i still wish we had o-cab :(

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back