Welcome to PatsFans.com

Shoot Pirates on Sight?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by reflexblue, Feb 26, 2011.

1. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Yes......................

Shoot pirates on sight? - CNN.com

Piracy has for centuries been considered a serious offense by most, if not all, states, and pirates were regularly killed or executed after, at most, a perfunctory hearing by the captain of the ship that captured them. Today, pirates are rarely confronted aggressively, and even when they have been caught, many have simply been released. As maritime law expert John Burnett refers to it, pirates are treated with a "catch-and-release philosophy that's usually reserved for trout."
  2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Wow! That's kinda harsh, isn't it? I mean, sure...they finish last every season, but it's not their fault the owner is a cheapskate!
  3. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It would make going to a baseball game more...interesting...
  4. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +291 / 0 / -1

#54 Jersey

Maybe if they inspired him more with their play, he'd spend more money on them. Shoot em.
  5. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +291 / 0 / -1

#54 Jersey

There's one way to do it, and then there's the Russian way.

[​IMG]
  6. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

You guys are so immature. :rolleyes:
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  7. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I thought i posted this before, the way those pirates play i think they're already dead. Shooting them would be a waste of ammunition.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  8. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +476 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

Good thing the Clippers are not the Pirates.
  9. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +476 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

could do it video game style ... handguns only to even it up.
  10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -9

Pirates
    One of the worlds strangest mysteries, in this day and age of Nukes, Cannons, Drones, Smart Bombs and god only knows what other secret weapons that these f-cking skinny chattering savages with a row boat and a few rifles can capture a giant Ship and then hold it for ransom, why in the name of god aren't they killed on the spot.

Don't be surprised to see them board and capture an Aircraft Carrier, does anybody know what it is that protects them is it some sort of Politically Correct Sh!t.

NUKE SOMALIA THAT WILL END IT

:bricks:
  11. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +476 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

12. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

The fans in Pittsburgh may have an issue with this.. as bad as they are they still partially fill the stands..

OTOH this may be a good role for the mercenary armies we have created and funded..
  13. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +149 / 1 / -9

I wouldn't lose any sleep if pirates were shot on sight. I believe it would actually be the right thing to do.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  14. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

The PC police would never allow it to happen.

Shoot them first ask questions later? Hmmm...

Pros:

- Dead pirates.
    - Possible deterant to future attacks.
    - Those killed wouldn't ever pirate again.
    - Saves the cost of incarceration.
    - Risks less lives of the good guys who would otherwise attempt to capture pirates alive.

Cons:

- Could potentially kill innocent people.
    - Could lead to more pirates killing their captives.
    - Could lead public sentiment toward seeing pirates as the "victims" (I kid you not)
    - Could lead to retaliatory action elsewhere, by way of terrorist attacks on the nations who do shoot first, and ask questions later.

Conclusion:

I'm not sure shoot first is viable, or something I would support, but I'm open to it were some level of agreeable ROE set. Pirates are vermin. They are on the same level as terrorists for the most part. I don't want to pay a penny to incarcerate them. I'd prefer only to pay for the bullet that ends their uselessness to the world. Seriously, this is the 21st century and we have a pirate problem. I think this is one issue where being "humane" so to speak, needs to drop a few notches on the priority list.
  15. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

New twist on the four killing last week. Ive read that the Navy put the two pirates into custody when they went to negotiate. The pirates told there comrades on board the yaht to kill the hostages if they didn't return which is what happened.

"The pirates' detention goes against standard negotiating practices, as the pirates came in good faith to make a deal to hand over the hostages, said the maritime source, who was briefed on the incident and has connections to British intelligence officials."

So while im still for shooting pirates it sounds like the Navy FU on this one.
  16. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Not as much as anyone who decides to spend the day sailing around that hell of the world VOLUNTARILY, UNARMED and fully KNOWING that there were pirates operating in the area. No one holds these "victims" accountable for their own actions. I have the same level of sympathy for them as I do for people who climb Mount Washington without proper gear in April

...And why is it the job of the US Navy to patrol the waters around the Arabian peninsula and East coast of Africa? Where ares the Indian, Saudi and S. African navies?

I know it's wrong for pirates to kill old Americans in a sailboat, but use your head!
  17. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Well, my problem with this is that the pirates took innocent people captive, so standard negotiating practices, and good faith, aren't any way I'd opt to describe the situation and cirumstances. Obviously you don't want the people held captive harmed, but like Wistah points to, if you travel the worlds open seas, and it's most dangerous places, unarmed to boot, then any loss you may suffer is mainly your own fault. I guess my basic point here is that A) people shouldn't be traveling these waters if they don't have to. B) if they do, then whatever happens is on them. C) at least arm yourself for a worst case scenario D) I still think all pirates should be wasted on site if possible E) Arrrr, shiver me timbers...Are we really talking about pirates in the 21st century?

Arrrrr....[​IMG]
  18. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -9

100% right, I feel very sorry for the families of those dead people but they were fools who may have thought they could slobber with the savages (probably very liberal and we all know how liberals feel about reality) reality is THEY ARE NOW DEAD.

ATTENTION ALL LOONS WITH BOATS:
    STAY AWAY FROM SOMALIA THEY AREN'T THE LITTLE DARLINGS YOU WOULD LIKE TO BELIEVE THEY ARE THEY WILL KILL YOU AND FEED YOUR DEAD BODYS TO THEIR HOGS.

SAIL UP TO NOVA SCOTIA IT'S SAFER

GOD DAMN FOOLS
  19. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I just want to make one thing clear.
    I have ABSOLUTLY no sympathy for them either, and my wife and i use the same analogy. They knew the danger, but yet they sailed off from the group. And I don't have any sympathy for those three hikers that got grabbed by the Iranians going on two years now. They go for a hike on the Iraq Iranian border which is a war zone, are you fcking kidding me. They can rot in that iranian prison for a couple more years. I have no sympathy for anyone that knowing puts themselves in a dangerous situation than expects others to save them once they get in trouble. The reason i posted what i did was because it seems a little unusual for the navy to screw up like they may have, not out of any sympathy for the couple that put themselves in that situation.
    Same thing goes for people that go hiking on Mt Washington (for example) in the middle of the winter than need to be rescued, they should have to pay the cost of their stupidity.

Last year i got banned from the local news paper website for suggesting that some people that had driven a ATV off a cliff on Mt Holyoke, (in the pitch dark, at 2am in the morning) should have to pay for their rescue. What the hell is anyone with any common sense ridding around an area like that at 2 am. But i was deemed to callous i guess.

There are many different navies patrolling that area, but its just to big from what ive read.