PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SHOCKING: Chiefs claim Gutierrez

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Not too surprising. And he really didn't look all that bad when I saw him throwing on Saturday.

Chiefs claim Gutierrez | ProFootballTalk.com

Though it remains to be seen whether the Kansas City Chiefs perform any better this season, they'll give it a try with 66.666666--hell, it goes on forever so lets just round up--7 of the Week Two and beyond depth chart of the 2008 Patriots.

The Chiefs traded for Matt Cassel in February, and now they've claimed Matt Guttierez on waivers, according to Adam Caplan of Scout.com.

Gutierrez had been cut prior to the 2008 season by the Pats, but he returned after Tom Brady landed on injured reserve following a Week One ACL tear.

Gutierrez was cut recently by the Raiders, and he was signed by the Patriots. Per Caplan the Jets also put in a claim for Gutierrez; surprisingly, the Broncos (coached by former Pats offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels) didn't.

The Chiefs cut quarterback Ingle Martin to create a spot for Guttierez.

And to make this thing come full circle, here's hoping that the Raiders make a waiver claim on Martin.

Last edited:
How long was he with the Raiders for?

Broncos

Heach Coach: Josh McDaniels

Jabar Gaffney
LaMont Jordan
Lonie Paxton

Chiefs

General Manager: Scott Pioli

Matt Cassel
Matt Guttierez
Mike Vrabel
Vince Redd

Broncos

Jabar Gaffney
LaMont Jordan
Lonie Paxton

Chiefs

Matt Cassel
Matt Guttierez
Mike Vrabel
Vince Redd
Broncos - , Chad Jackson, Daniel Graham, Brandon Gorin, Clint Oldenburg,
Chiefs-, C.J. Jones, Monty Beisel, Corey Mays, Darrell Robertson,

Broncos

Jabar Gaffney
LaMont Jordan
Lonie Paxton

Chiefs

Matt Cassel
Matt Guttierez
Mike Vrabel
Vince Redd

C.J. Jones (Pioli Chiefs, then McD Broncos), Chad Jackson (pre-McD), Daniel Graham (pre-McD), Clint Oldenburg (pre-McD), Darrell Robertson (former Pioli Chiefs), Corey Mays (Pioli Chiefs), Monty Beisel (Pioli Chiefs), Brandon Gorin (McD Broncos).

Last edited:
If he has shoulder problems he wouldn't be of much value here behind KOC (or able to push him). In KC he can help them install the offense. Depends on what you need.

Kind of interesting that the Jets put in a claim. Granted, Gutierrez could have a decent shot of beating out the likes of Ainge and Pizzotti for #3 QB, but I can't help but wonder if a little competitive intelligence was involved too.

Oh, and the "full circle" Raiders bit presumably meant: Raiders cut Walter, Pats sign Walter, Pats cut Gutierrez, Chiefs sign Gutierrez, Chiefs cut Martin, Raiders sign Martin...

It would certainly be an amusing little game of musical chairs if it happened.

Wish him well, but I'd be sort of surprised if he beat out Croyle and Thigpen, given one was a 3rd round pick and the other has a year's worth of experience running a shotgun offense at the pro level.

Maybe they carry 4 QBs ala 2000 New England?

your right how shocking, with that said good to see him find a home elsewhere

now if we end up cutting BJGE, does he go to the Broncos or Chiefs?

What's more, how many of our bubble guys that we cut will they end up scooping up? guys like Slater, Alexander, et cetera. it might be harder to get non-rookies to the PS with our old friends taking them fair-and-square

Wish him well, but I'd be sort of surprised if he beat out Croyle and Thigpen, given one was a 3rd round pick and the other has a year's worth of experience running a shotgun offense at the pro level.

Maybe they carry 4 QBs ala 2000 New England?

Are you sure you'd be "shocked". I'd not be surprised. Shocked ? I'm shocked you value Croyle & Thigpen that much. Neither has really gotten the ball rolling in KC and neither is there because of either Pioli or the new HC...

now if we end up cutting BJGE, does he go to the Broncos or Chiefs?

What's more, how many of our bubble guys that we cut will they end up scooping up? guys like Slater, Alexander, et cetera. it might be harder to get non-rookies to the PS with our old friends taking them fair-and-square

I'm not too worried, given that none of the guys you named ar PS-eligible anyway. :)

I'm not too worried, given that none of the guys you named ar PS-eligible anyway. :)

true (for those fellows), but we won't have them on our shadow rosters if other teams say 'yoink' (and put them on their 53-man rosters).

Last edited:
Kind of interesting that the Jets put in a claim. Granted, Gutierrez could have a decent shot of beating out the likes of Ainge and Pizzotti for #3 QB, but I can't help but wonder if a little competitive intelligence was involved too.

Playing them week 2 and knowing their offense with a defensive minded head coach...gotta be intelligence only.

Him vs. Ainge for the #3 spot if he was going to be signed, Pizzotti looks to be camp fodder trying for a practice squad spot...hope he can make it, he's a local guy :cool:

Last edited:
Are you sure you'd be "shocked". I'd not be surprised. Shocked ? I'm shocked you value Croyle & Thigpen that much. Neither has really gotten the ball rolling in KC and neither is there because of either Pioli or the new HC...

Why do you quote a word I didn't use or even come close to implying?

Anyways, I just read some KC Boards and appearently the fans aren't happy with Thigpen's arm this camp, it was variably described as weak and inaccurate. So I will amend "sort of surprised" to your "not surprised." Gutierrez looks to have an even chance to claim #3.

Ironic that the guy who Cassel had to listen to people talk about how much better he was is now back in his locker room again. Nevertheless he'll provide them with a solid #3, and if some of the other guys don't pan out who knows potentially their #2 in a year or two.

I don't know....I'm not a fan of guys continuing to land there. I think we've seen far too many of other teams' rejects ending up here in New England and going on to good careers. Hopefully it doesn't happen there - but at least they're out of the division. It is interesting to have another team to follow and watch their progress - especially considering the New England ties. Definitely adds a bit more intrigue to this coming season, and I agree with those in here who talked about being able to casually enjoy watching other teams. Add my name to that mix :cool:

Last edited:
somewhere in Arrowhead Stadium a cell phone rings (ringtone is 100,000 people singing, "And the home of the CHIEFS."

SP: "Hello. Kansas City Chiefs, Scott Pioli here."

BB: "Hey, Scott. It's me, Bill."

SP: "Hi, Bill. What's up?"

BB: "I just cut Gutierrez and learned from the NFL office that the Jets put in a waiver claim."

SP: "They want Gute?"

BB: "No, they want my playbook."

SP: "Bummer."

BB: "Yeah, well, remember when I gave you Vrabel for nothing? Well, here's what you can do for me. There's one more hour left on the waiver wire. You're higher on the priority list than those damned Jets. Claim Gute and keep him until final cutdown day, then go ahead and cut him. Tubby Rex won't sign Gute for the 53."

SP: "You got it."

somewhere in Arrowhead Stadium a cell phone rings (ringtone is 100,000 people singing, "And the home of the CHIEFS."

SP: "Hello. Kansas City Chiefs, Scott Pioli here."

BB: "Hey, Scott. It's me, Bill."

SP: "Hi, Bill. What's up?"

BB: "I just cut Gutierrez and learned from the NFL office that the Jets put in a waiver claim."

SP: "They want Gute?"

BB: "No, they want my playbook."

SP: "Bummer."

BB: "Yeah, well, remember when I gave you Vrabel for nothing? Well, here's what you can do for me. There's one more hour left on the waiver wire. You're higher on the priority list than those damned Jets. Claim Gute and keep him until final cutdown day, then go ahead and cut him. Tubby Rex won't sign Gute for the 53."

SP: "You got it."

Thats funny stuff right there....

Not sure if I would waste a roster spot on a favor for a friend but who knows crazier things have occurred I am sure.

Ironic that the guy who Cassel had to listen to people talk about how much better he was is now back in his locker room again. Nevertheless he'll provide them with a solid #3, and if some of the other guys don't pan out who knows potentially their #2 in a year or two.

That's all assuming he makes the roster let alone stay through the entire training camp...he may not pan out for them in their system. He's battling two guys who know the offense and who IMO are better than their stats indicate, I'm not ready to anoint him their #3 until he can show it on the field with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back