Welcome to PatsFans.com

SHOCKA: Study find stimulus $$ went overwhelmingly to Dems.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patriot_in_NY, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Or at least district's represented by democrats.

According to the Independent economic think tank The Mercatus Center (George Mason University), did a study based on information from Recovery.org and determined Stimulus money went overwhelmingly to Dems.

From the ACTUAL STUDY:

Perhaps, you say, that they went to those districts because the Dems represent lower income districts, or districts with higher unemployment so the $$ went there to help target those folks.

Ummmmmmmmmm, Not quite (Again, from THE STUDY)

Swell............... :rolleyes:
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  2. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +188 / 3 / -10

You have to be careful with information like this. The democrat states are also the most populated states in the country....mainly the east & west coasts along with the Great Lakes region.

So it makes sense to me that the money is going to where the most people reside.
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +285 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

I just posted this in the Tea Party thread. It's not stimulus, it's just a pot of money for spending as barack and nancy see fit which is why so much has been kept for 2010.
  4. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +343 / 6 / -7

I don't have time to read the study right now, but quick question.

Urban/heavily populated districts skew heavily Democratic. Wouldn't it stand to reason that more stimulus funds would be appropriated to districts with greater populations?
  5. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Read the study, it accounts for a lot of that. I'd post it here, but the rules prohibit putting to much on here. It's worthy of the read. I actually would put this more on Congress then Obama.
  6. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +343 / 6 / -7

Could you post the section you're referring to?
  7. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +188 / 3 / -10

If "per capita" spending is significanty higher in blue states, then you have a point.
  8. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +343 / 6 / -7

Then again, since all the Republicans voted against the stimulus, how can they be upset at not getting any of the stimulus money? :)

Just sayin'.
  9. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

That's hardly an independent think tank.

That's the guy behind Americans for Prosperity - you know, the health care astroturfers?

Try a better "independent" source next time.

Mercatus Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Koch Family Foundations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Koch Industries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Americans for Prosperity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  10. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Seriously, take any think tank study with a huge grain of salt - they all have agendas.
  11. lostjumper

lostjumper Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

The Senator from La. is taking a 300 million dollar bribe to vote for the healthcare bill. And you seemed surprised at this study?

And Strudel, just because the think tank has an agenda that doesn't mean the facts they reported aren't accurate. I mean, isn't that why you do the research, to find out where the money went? I'm sure the think tanks that say the healthcare bill is awesome for everyone don't have any agenda's...
  12. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

This is correct, however there are several problems we have to account for with think tanks.

1) It takes a long time to study and understand the methodologies to determine if they are correct. If they are not and the study is largely a propaganda piece then it has already achieved its purpose. I'm sure this is not even peer-reviewed.

2) We have lots of reason to believe that the source of the study is very partisan.

3) Think tanks always produce studies that correlate strongly to their raison d'etres. That's why it's best to avoid pretty much all of them, at least until we understand whether they are sound or not. Few end up being sound.

4) It's easy to fool people by producing a study.

5) Right-wingers on this board scream LIBERAL BIAS!!!! at the drop of a hat, even when there is no clear evidence of it. In this case, there is a direct line of funding to Koch, a known partisan. You guys need to be consistent in your thinking and acknowledge the (very likely in this case) potential for bias.

I'm sure there are other problems as well.
  13. lostjumper

lostjumper Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

OMG, this is hilarious. Switch the words "think tank" to "Man Made Global Warming Community" and it would be the first intelligent thing you've said on this board. You're head is so stuck in the sand on that issue, you probably won't see the irony there, but this is just awesome.

Oh, and again, we just had a democratic senator take a 300 million dollar bribe.
  14. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Looks like somebody doesn't understand what peer review is and why it's important.
  15. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Teh report is broken down by CONGRESSIONAL districts, not states. IE this was a slush fund for dems and their allies. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone this is good old fashioned (corrupt) chicago ward politics.