Welcome to PatsFans.com

Sheriff: charge inmates $5 a day

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

What say you?

Sheriff: charge inmates $5 a day

By Jessica Fargen
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 - Updated 41m ago

The Bristol County Sheriff wants every county jail inmate and state prisoner to pay $5 a day to be incarcerated, a move he says could save taxpayers millions of dollars during a time when schools, the elderly and police and fire departments are struggling to get by.

Bristol County Sheriff Thomas Hodgson is meeting with state legislators today to push a bill that would allow him and every other sheriff as well as state prison officials to recoup money from inmates through dental, medical and a daily “custodial” fees.

“Inmates are contributing the least right now to society and costing us the most and have been for a long time. At a time when we’re laying off police officers and cutting programs for school children these inmates are sitting in here buying extra candy and cookies to make their life easier,” he said.

Sheriff: charge inmates $5 a day - BostonHerald.com

2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

does this also apply to enemy combatants?

3. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

questions I have:

1) How many inmates can afford this?

2) How many will be broke and more prone to crime when they leave because of this?

Seems like just some dumbass sheriff tough-on-crime type that doesn't really think through these things. A better place to start would be to stop imprisoning non-violent drug offenders that cost us far more than what this would save. This is a sloppy answer to a problem that will only be solved with real prison reform. We have the highest incarceration rate in the industrial world for a reason, and as long as the hysterical media and politicians keep feeding the prison-industrial complex that isn't going to change.

4. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +481 / 11 / -7

#91 Jersey

Bingo on your whole post. First how are you going to make someone pay if they have no money. Two in the '90's people realized that you could make a lot of money by housing prisoners. It could even be a family buisness so to speak kept violating prisoners on parole or probation along with long mandatory sentances for drug dealers and a CO's kids could have 45k jobs. Take away all training and you have a revolving door policy sure to provide jobs For correction officers not to mention the profit made for over priced food etc. from the canteen run by the state.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  5. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I like the idea of prisoners paying something back, but I'd prefer a work program I think. Its crazy to let a bunch of sociopaths sit around all day planning a. how to continue criminal activity once they get out, or b. how to terrorize the guards and other inmates.

I like a work program but even then I don't like the idea of the state making money off prisoners and having a vested interest in seeing people imprisoned. Reminds me of how ridiculous the speeding ticket system is, where officers have monthly quotas to give out. Imagine, the state WANTS to see you break the law so they can get more money!

I still think we should send them all to an island with Ray Liotta and Lance Henriksen...

edit: Reflex beat me to the punch about the dangers of making money of prisoners and how it is already done today. Maybe if the work program offset the costs to the state for other prison programs like job training, education etc? I think prisoner rehabilitation is crucial, otherwise you just release someone worse than they were when they went in.

Still against $77,000 for HDTVs for 'em though.

6. Real World

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

Jeez, I dunno, but didn't some prison just buy $76,000 worth of high definition TV's, with canteen money? :confused2:

I don't think the idea is to leave inmates with no more than a penny ot their name, but if they can afford to buy high def TV's, a Snickers bar, or a pack of smokes, then wouldn't it be more practical, and righteous, to have such money be put toward the cost of their incarceration, i.e. their living expense? Also, should convicts get to keep their cash, while working americans, the very people these convicts defrauded, raped, killed, etc... pay the freight?

I'll repeat myself, I don't think the idea is to leave these people with nothing, and if that is the case, then I wouldn't support such a measure.

7. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +481 / 11 / -7

#91 Jersey

SOME inmates and their familys can afford canteen. The vast majority making a 20 cents or what ever an hour( if they have a job ) no. The people that can have family support bought those tvs not the ones that just work if they even have a job.

8. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

Prison sucks. Cigarrettes and snickers bars aren't taking away from that, they're still human beings. People get carried away with this sensationalist crap about prison being "soft" and prisoners being treated to well nowadays because it's the easiest way to rile people up. I can guarantee that you won't find too many ex-cons who found prison to be anything other than pure hell. What you will find is COs that say the more you take away from them the more violent the place is going to get. And from what I read it was mostly the families putting up money for that. Are you going to start charging families for relatives that get imprisoned? Sounds like Saudi Arabia.

9. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,051 / 40 / -63

No Jersey Selected

I'm not sure how they would be able to afford it, but prisoners are already more prone to commit crimes when they come out anyway. Prison is already considered a crime school. I believe the offender rate is already at upwards of 75% (if I'm not mistaken).

10. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

Yes recidivism is already high and this won't help. Mandatory minimums and 3 strike rules don't help the taxpayer either.

11. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I keep saying over and over and over again-the privatized prison industry in this country is a slave labor market with profits in the BILLIONS.

Someday the American people will realize what this country truly specializes in-containing rebels and scientific militarization. And data collection/"analysis". The military also recruits prisoners: msnbc.com Video Player
    and joining isn't a punishment,it's a goal.

Federal prisoners are paid something like 15.00 a month to manufacture goods and do menial jobs within the community. When you call to order something guess who might be answering the phone and taking your order? Yup you guessed it.

The design and construction of prisons is HUGE business. FYI for anyone who's truly interested; Tulia,Texas is slated to air Feb 10 on PBS: Independent Lens . TULIA, TEXAS | PBS

Some say this event represents what's actually the cutting edge of American justice-you decide.

12. Real World

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

I probably know more ex-cons than you have friends, so spare me the prison sucks bit, their human beings, they need their Snickers bars diarea. Prison obviously doesn't suck enough since something like 2 out of 3 convicts are rearrested within 2 years of being released, and half end up back in jail. I know, I know, it's the failure of the system to reeducate, or reform the inmates while their being held. [​IMG] Somehow, someway, letting criminals enjoy high def television, and a Snickers Bar, helps fix that.

No one is saying to charge the family. This is the problem with people like yourself, who can't read all to well, and quickly jump to some extreme. Those who have the means to pay, should. I'd prefer some loser pays $5 a day to cover his $35,000 expense, if that same $5 bucks is just going to go to buying a pack of ciggarettes. It's amazing how certain people want to ban, or tax to death, certain foods & habits enjoyed by law abiding, tax paying Americans. However, when it comes to rapists, murderers, and thieves, they won't even take their ciggarette money, or high def TV. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  13. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

Um you brought up the canteen and the TVs that were paid for by inmates families as an example of them being able to afford the $5 dollars a day because it's a sensationalist story you like to get worked up over. I pointed out that that is irrelevant since you can't charge their families 5 dollars a day. And nobody ever said tvs had anything to do with reform, but I'm sure you have more CO and warden buddies than I have friends too, so you can ask them what it's like when prisoners are bored.

You've yet again gotten so worked up you accused me of not reading properly while not reading properly, which is becoming an amusing habit of yours.... But yeah, recidivism is all about returning to the comforts of prison, well done, I'm sure your vast ex con social network would revel at your insight. Too many Snickers bars and TVs that's what this is about GRRRRRRR.......

And Prisons and trans fats?? :ugh:

It's a shitty idea, take a deep breath and let it go.

14. Real World

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

I never get worked up over any of your posts. I certainly get a chuckle out of them, but never worked up. ;)

I'll tell you what, you're right. There is no way the gubmit could, nor should, take a penny from any of these people. A dollar for dollar type fee, or a tax on canteen pruchases and/or deposits, just makes zero sense. It isn't practical. Sugar, or tabacco type taxes, will only work on law abiding citizens. It'd never work on criminals.

15. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

right.:rolleyes:

You know what would be great? If this thread was about sales taxes and not a $5 a day imprisonment fee....

16. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +828 / 27 / -33

Cigarettes and weight lifting are pretty much outlawed in most states now... so that perk is gone, when you are controlling a bunch of men who are violent.. you need incentive and if you take away pretty much all that is left, canteen.. you loose another piece of leverage.. the ratio of co to prisoner is pretty high. It does not take much to change the balance.. I learned one time from a wise correctional officer I was training with, who said.. "there is no way you can control all these men, they have to allow you to control them" when you destroy the balance then shyt happens.. the same is true in law enforcement..

Hodgson tried this before and it was thrown out..

The whole privitization of prisons is a money making proposition.. see the current revelations in the Wyatt Facillity in Central Falls.. the chair of the board is raking in something like 430K a year..

17. Real World

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

The thread is about whether or not we should have inmates pay something towards their incarceration costs. I say a dollar for dollar canteen tax would be something to consider. This canteen tax could max out after a certain total was acrued.

18. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +481 / 11 / -7

#91 Jersey

What are you going to do if they refuse..........throw them in jail ;)

19. Real World

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

I refuse to pay my payroll tax all the time, but amazingly, the gubmit still gets it's hands on it, before I do. Someday, maybe I'll be quick enough to get it first!

20. Chevy

Chevy Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

Why are there canteens at all? Why allow smoking at all?

It's jail!

Up at 0500

Breakfast

Work (laundry, cleaning the prison)

Lunch

1 hour exercise / yard time

Classes (taught by prof's from state funded schools - mandatory for every prof to teach 1 hour per week)

Dinner

1 hour tv time

Back to the cell til lights out at 2200

No outside amenities of any kind. Letters/newspapers/magazines only. Toiletries (soap/shampoo/toothbrush and paste/deodorant) to be issued weekly.

If there must be a canteen system - you must have finished 50% of your sentence with a clean record (first offense) / 60% second / 90% third and above.